The non-railway and non-modelling social zone. Please ensure forum rules are adhered to in this area too!

Lockdown’s Last Lingerings - (Covid since L2 ended)

Nearholmer

I find monopoly a really tedious game, but my now grown-up daughter got really into it for a period when she was seven or eight, and would pin us down to play a complete, seemingly never-ending game, invoking her encyclopaedic knowledge of the fine-print in the rules, whenever she could ...... it got so bad that I actually rationed it to no more than one game a week. Fortunately, she lost interest after a bit!

• Like 2
  • Friendly/supportive 2

2 minutes ago, Nearholmer said:

it is necessary to factor stupidity in too.

Half the population is of below average intelligence, and somewhere in that half there is a percentage who really are too dim to be able to make the right judgements in challenging circumstances.

Intelligence as tested is not one a dimensional signifier of behaviour. That can be reflected in the judgement that an individual makes. Standard testing of intelligence is calibrated on scores mainly relating to intellectualism . Someone who produces a low score on a traditional intelligence test can exhibit a high degree of moral intelligence. Conversely someone scoring high on the test can exhibit degrees of sociopathic and narcissistic behaviour. 

• Agree 4

Very true, all of it.

But, it doesn't alter the fact that the ability to make good decisions in circumstances like this comes distributed on a bell-curve of some sort, and that some people are at the unfortunate end of that curve, and that they can unwittingly wreak a lot of havoc.

• Agree 1

4 minutes ago, rocor said:

Intelligence as tested is not one a dimensional signifier of behaviour. That can be reflected in the judgement that an individual makes. Standard testing of intelligence is calibrated on scores mainly relating to intellectualism . Someone who produces a low score on a traditional intelligence test can exhibit a high degree of moral intelligence. Conversely someone scoring high on the test can exhibit degrees of sociopathic and narcissistic behaviour. 

And then you have the Trumpidiots

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/world-us-canada-55631498

26 minutes ago, Hroth said:

And then you have the Trumpidiots

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/world-us-canada-55631498

Manatees, nicknamed "sea cows," are protected under US law, and anyone found guilty of harassing them faces up to a year in prison and a $50,000 (£37,000) fine and the words "sea cows," tattoed over ever inch of their body. :D

Edited by rocor
There, Their and They're. Over sixty years on, and still I slip up.
  • Like 1
  • Agree 1

• RMweb Premium
47 minutes ago, rocor said:

Too true, look at some of the (apparent) weirdos who win Mastermind :lol:

• Agree 3

Perhaps we should introduce a new board game - Marxopoly.  With one exception, the players look after one another, "from each according to their means, to each according to their needs".  The exception is the banker, who controls every transaction and the money supply, ultimately impoverishing the others...

• Like 2
  • Craftsmanship/clever 1
  • Funny 6

24 minutes ago, EddieB said:

Perhaps we should introduce a new board game - Marxopoly.  With one exception, the players look after one another, "from each according to their means, to each according to their needs".  The exception is the banker, who controls every transaction and the money supply, ultimately impoverishing the others...

It is the same with all games, if you can be the banker, you have a definite  advantage.

26 minutes ago, EddieB said:

Until you get the Community Chest card marked REVOLUTION! upon which, the banker is divested of their ill-gotten gains, put in jail and 50% of the bank redistributed to the players. The means of production are also renationalised....

• Like 3
  • Funny 2

3 minutes ago, Hroth said:

Until you get the Community Chest card marked REVOLUTION! upon which, the banker is divested of their ill-gotten gains, put in jail and 50% of the bank redistributed to the players. The means of production are also renationalised....

If only!

• Agree 1

• RMweb Gold
52 minutes ago, Hroth said:

With, presumably, the player who drew the card getting a more equal share than all of the others, and becoming the banker themselves?

• Funny 2

19 minutes ago, billbedford said:

Aren't these usually called politicians?

To become a politician, you should be required to pass a test whilst connected to a polygraph. The test would be simple, and consist of one binary answer question: "Do you want to become a politician?".

• Agree 1

Some quite interesting figures comparing mobility during Lockdowns 1, 2, and 3. 

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/55626008

The positive test numbers where I live may be beginning to fall at last. Its hard to be certain that there is a sustained trend, what with the time-lags and day-by-day volatility, but they seem to be coming off the bumpy plateau that they've been on since we were effectively locked-down over the weekend of 19th December. What I can't see is any "Christmas mingling effect" in the numbers, except maybe among 20-24yo, which suggests that the "ban on Christmas" was very largely respected.

Deaths OTOH certainly aren't decreasing yet: averaging almost seven per day over the past week, so things begin to look worse for covid deaths than the first wave, but it doesn't seem to be that simple, because deaths from other causes are below average (they have been here for most of the time since May), so it could be that its replacing 'flu as a reaper of the frail elderly.

Edited by Nearholmer
  • Informative/Useful 1

The local numbers show a slight decline today.

However the borough has c 100k people while my local ward has c 2k yet around 65% of the new cases are from this ward. I presume the current figures are lower as the New Year peak has passed.  I can find no reason for the local outbreak. I do feel that a branch of B & Q in the area being open and very busy at the weekend is not a good idea.

A friend of mine in Orkney has had his vaccination today. Ironically he and his wife are isolating and never go into Kirkwall. They live in the last house but one on the east coast of the main island. About the last people in the country who need to be worried about the virus reaching them.

Bernard

• Like 1

• RMweb Premium

Local numbers are still increasing here although not at the rates some places have. The national numbers aren't though - the last seven days number nationally has actually decreased slightly. This is cause for cautious optimism I think. A temporary downward blip can't be ruled out but it's reason to hope that it may be possible to get the new strain after all. Far too early to celebrate or plan on the basis it's falling though, it'll need at least a week more and probably two before I'd say we can be confident things are definitely moving in the right direction.

Sadly deaths will increase still, hospital admissions seem to lag cases by a week or so and death by another week.

• RMweb Gold
1 hour ago, Bernard Lamb said:

A friend of mine in Orkney has had his vaccination today. Ironically he and his wife are isolating and never go into Kirkwall. They live in the last house but one on the east coast of the main island. About the last people in the country who need to be worried about the virus reaching them.

Here in France the pandemic is at its worst in the Grand Est and the South - but the most rapid vaccination rate is in Normandie where infection rates are relatively less severe.

Logistics and logic don't always mix. Lille received 20k doses of vaccine. And 10k needles....

• Like 1
  • Informative/Useful 1
  • Friendly/supportive 1

The vaccine rollout has not got underway here yet, our less pressing situation has given the boffins (remember them?) the chance to more fully evaluate the vaccines and there efficacy prior to committing to  rollout of the most effective one.

Consequently today they have called on the Aust government to halt the planned rollout of the Oxford-Astrazeneca vaccine in favour of the PFizer and Moderna ones, since the apparent efficacy of it is insufficient to generate herd immunity. Or something like that. 

https://www.smh.com.au/national/scientists-call-for-pause-on-astrazeneca-vaccine-rollout-20210112-p56tjt.html

Edited by monkeysarefun
  • Interesting/Thought-provoking 1

Here’s a link to an informative document about the administration of the  vaccination. Although it is 47 pages long, it’s well organised with subheadings, making it easy to select sections of particular interest. 

UK_COVID-19_vaccines_delivery_plan.pdf?f

• Thanks 2
  • Informative/Useful 4

• RMweb Premium

Scotland just announced tighter restrictions from Monday. No alcohol consumption outdoors, takeaways to be from a doorway or hatch (no persons on the premises) and Click and Collect services for shops selling essential items only, everything else must shut down completely. 

I suspect England will follow suit in the next day or two.

Meanwhile, Boris says the Lockdown is working so I expect him to announce just the opposite inside of 48 hours as per usual...

• Agree 1
  • Informative/Useful 1