RMweb

Lockdown’s Last Lingerings - (Covid since L2 ended)

Nearholmer

• RMweb Premium

Chichester area is way behind on vaccinations due to NIMBY's arguing over where to site a large scale vaccination centre in the city.

The Festival Theatre, the Cathedral and the naff leisure centre have all been offered but refused.

Word is someone influential doesn't want virus carrying outsiders coming into the city.  The place has always been offensively elitist like that....

Meanwhile everyone has had to bus it to Selsey or Tangmere Airfield...

• Friendly/supportive 3

Well, I'm 67 and live a few miles south of Apollo. Our GP practice has been sending us regular jab progress updates. They posted on Tuesday that bookings were open for 65 - 70s. I used the link provided and had my first jab on Wednesday afternoon. Left arm used, and there was slight ache, but my right arm came out in sympathy!

• Like 3

Had my jab today at a centre being run as a collaboration by a number of our local GP practices and was pleasantly surprised how well organised it was with most of those except the clinicians being volunteers. No queuing, wait in the car until you are called and then in and out in under 10 minutes. My wife is now waiting for group 5 patients to be called in our area.

Edited by vaughan45
Spelling
  • Like 2

• RMweb Gold
20 minutes ago, APOLLO said:

I'm 68 and got a letter today from the NHS requesting me to book a jab online, or wait till my GP contacts me. I had a heart by pass a few years ago so I suspect this is why I got my letter today.  Went on the website and I was pleasantly surprised how quick & easy it was. I was given a good choice of centres in distance order of my postcode. The nearest was a Chemist one mile away, so I booked there for next Friday. My second jab was also booked at the same time, same place approx 12 weeks later.

Thank you NHS.

Brit15

Few years younger than you but also had a brush with Mr G.Reaper a few years back, had a text from the GP today which invited me for a vaccine but it took me to an NHS page where I simply entered my name and contact details into a web form, once done it said I would be contacted if they decided to vaccinate me - seems an unnecessary step but whatever. Waiting for contact and appointment now.

• Like 2

• RMweb Gold

I had mine on Wednesday, having been rung by my GP practice at tea time last Saturday to offer me an appointment.

I got to our local health centre and small hospital about ten minutes early (it is only 5 minutes from home), parked and walked across to the 2 portakabins being used by the 2 practices in the town.  I had just given my name to the volunteer when I was called in, 10 minutes early.  A GP gave me the jab, one of the receptionists was doing the paperwork at the same time.

Then I had to sit for 15 minutes in a heated marquee - another volunteer was noting the time each person had been injected (we were given a post it note with the time on it by the GP) and we were each told when we could leave.

The centre is normally open 7 days a week, 12 hours a day, each surgery is doing a jab every 4 minutes.

Some days they also use 2 rooms in one of the surgery buildings so twice as many people can be done.

David

Edited by DaveF
  • Like 8

I saw a friend of mine and his missus out on the street today, obviously we only shouted across the road to each other (remember when doing that was seen as anti social?) 

They both got their jabs just by calling in at the local church at about jab closing time an sayin "you got any left for us?"

Mind you they are both ex teachers and she's got a gob like a fog horn when she wants to have......

• Funny 6

• RMweb Premium
3 hours ago, Hobby said:

Shows why we have a problem and many other countries don't...

From what I've seen the UK's fairly low down in the anti-vaxxer lists.

My parents had their first dose today (they're 71), so that's good news, although since they've seen next to no-one AFAIK I've not been all that worried about them. Be a while before I get anything (in my 40s, even if my mental age sometimes sounds like 150).

I've got bigger things to worry about than vaccinations and viruses - just tried taking a swig out of a beer bottle with the cap on, looks like my brain might've had it :)

• Funny 9

5 hours ago, John M Upton said:

Chichester area is way behind on vaccinations due to NIMBY's arguing over where to site a large scale vaccination centre in the city.

The Festival Theatre, the Cathedral and the naff leisure centre have all been offered but refused.

Word is someone influential doesn't want virus carrying outsiders coming into the city.  The place has always been offensively elitist like that....

Meanwhile everyone has had to bus it to Selsey or Tangmere Airfield...

We had some NIMBY's resisting a quarantine centre in the town last year.

I understand that nobody really wants it near them but It had to go somewhere. 30 minutes from Luton & just over an hour from Birmingham & East Midlands airports make (makes) the town accessible. The layout of the town (many small districts separated by roads) makes it possible for most to simply avoid a district & they placed it near/in the Open University.

• Like 2

• RMweb Premium

Absolutely no resistance to having vaccination centres round here, in fact people are wanting more and nearer centres. The nearest to me at the moment being slightly over 10miles.

The nearest 2 are a village hall, 10 miles

A fitness centre, 12 miles

• Like 4

13 hours ago, chris p bacon said:

Here in Bedfordshire, Big brother is 68 and fit and healthy, got his letter at 14.30 today, booked by 15.00 and I'll give him a lift to the Vac centre in Biggleswade on Monday afternoon for his 1st jab.

I got my NHS letter today, but had my jab on Thursday, super slick service at our health centre

• Like 5

9 hours ago, Reorte said:

From what I've seen the UK's fairly low down in the anti-vaxxer lists.

My comment had nothing to do with anti vaxxers but everything to do with people travelling (on trains) when they shouldn't be... Which is what we were discussing at the time... And is a major reason the ruddy thing spreads around so quickly in this country.

• Like 2
  • Agree 2

• RMweb Gold
3 minutes ago, Hobby said:

Just to add to the above, one of my colleagues reported 96 people on his train yesterday afternoon...

That's how seriously some people are taking it.

I have used trains 8 times in the last fortnight. For getting to work. Electrical maintenance in a building is not possible to do from home. 

Andi

• Like 3
  • Agree 1
  • Friendly/supportive 5

Yes but in theory the loadings should be pretty much the same all week if it's commuting for work, but it isn't... Commuters don't tend to carry large suitcases with them either...

I am sure that there are genuine train travellers, we see many regulars, but the ones who shouldn't be travelling like county lines gangs and ones going away for a break tend to stand out like sore thumbs. Trouble is no-one does anything about them, same as on the roads. It's a (sick) joke.

• Agree 2

15 hours ago, 62613 said:

Well, I'm 67 and live a few miles south of Apollo. Our GP practice has been sending us regular jab progress updates. They posted on Tuesday that bookings were open for 65 - 70s. I used the link provided and had my first jab on Wednesday afternoon. Left arm used, and there was slight ache, but my right arm came out in sympathy!

Apropos this, a letter arrived in the post, inviting me for a jab this morning!

• Like 3

• RMweb Premium

Well, it's getting closer....

One of my colleagues in the Depot died on Monday and one of my fellow driver trainees just tested positive although in the latter case fortunately I have not seen him for over two weeks, never thought I would be thankful for distance learning over Zoom...

• Friendly/supportive 16

This report brings up an interesting difference of views https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-56050119

IMO the qouted scientist seems to have slightly missed the point of what Mr H was saying, and it all begs the question as to what the alternative to "living with it as we do with the 'flu" might be.

We surely cannot continue to 'exist' as we have been recently, even if the price of a bit more normality is a bit more risk, and a lot more vigilance.

• Agree 1

3 hours ago, Hobby said:

Just to add to the above, one of my colleagues reported 96 people on his train yesterday afternoon...

That's how seriously some people are taking it.

Not everyone though.

My run yesterday took mean near Wolverton. an 8 coach 350 left at around 11.30 bound for London. I didn't see how crowded the first unit was, but the rear unit looked completely empty. In normal times, this would usually be at least half full.

17 hours ago, APOLLO said:

I'm 68 and got a letter today from the NHS requesting me to book a jab online, or wait till my GP contacts me. I had a heart by pass a few years ago so I suspect this is why I got my letter today.  Went on the website and I was pleasantly surprised how quick & easy it was. I was given a good choice of centres in distance order of my postcode. The nearest was a Chemist one mile away, so I booked there for next Friday. My second jab was also booked at the same time, same place approx 12 weeks later.

Thank you NHS.

Brit15

I'm 67, a mere sapling compared with you, yet have no underlying medical conditions. My "jab" letter arrived today. I am opting to wait for my GP to contact me, as I have found most medical facilities are a nightmare for parking, and my GP's surgery is within easy walking distance. The only downside is I shall probably be berated for not losing any of the bulk, that I was advised to do, on my last visit, which was for the government mandated medical check over (MOT?). 

• Interesting/Thought-provoking 1
  • Friendly/supportive 1