Using the easy-assembly Finetrax pointwork kits in 00 and EM (and in P4 from the S4 Society)

NFWEM57

5 hours ago, fulton said:

Having bought some of Wayne's point kits from the EMGS a few months ago I have only just revisited this thread, disappointed by the very negative posts a few pages back and the drift off to discussions on different 4mm track gauges/standards.

Bravo!

For the nth time can we please stay on topic with anyone wanting to debate gauge issues having the decency to start another topic and leave those interested in Wayne's progress in peace?

I'm sure I'm not the only one to switch off from all the Gauge stuff only then to miss an important occasional point on topic.

Colin

• Agree 4

• RMweb Gold
On 13/03/2022 at 14:33, Wayne Kinney said:

What formations would you like to see next? ... ... I'm looking for input!

@Wayne Kinney

Hi Wayne,

You might like to look at a symmetrical Y-turnout.

They are quite rare on the prototype, that's why they are not directly supported in Templot. To be strictly prototypical they need to be created as custom formations using partial templates.

But modellers love them! I got so fed up with being constantly asked for them in Templot that I have implemented an automatic function to improvise a symmetrical Y-turnout, more info at:

https://85a.uk/templot/club/index.php?threads/changes-in-templot-version-227.180/post-1501

make_y_turnout1-png.1113

cheers,

Martin.

• Like 3

• RMweb Gold
1 hour ago, BWsTrains said:

Bravo!

For the nth time can we please stay on topic with anyone wanting to debate gauge issues having the decency to start another topic and leave those interested in Wayne's progress in peace?

I'm sure I'm not the only one to switch off from all the Gauge stuff only then to miss an important occasional point on topic.

Colin

I see that my previous post in reply to the above has been hidden by the moderators.

I would just like to repeat that I find it extremely irritating when self-appointed moderators try to tell other members what they can and can't post.

The solution is very simple -- to steer a topic in the direction you want it to go, post something taking it in that direction.

For example, I have posted above a suggestion in response to Wayne's request for ideas.

Martin.

• Like 1

• martin_wynne changed the title to Using the easy-assembly Finetrax pointwork kits in 00 and EM
  • RMweb Gold
1 hour ago, BWsTrains said:

Which clearly is on topic, hope my suggestion hasn't been misconstrued here?

All the previous posts have been on-topic too. 

A topic about track parts and kits available in different gauges and standards is naturally going to lead to thoughts about which to use, whether to make a change, what would be involved in that, and members' general track-building experiences. Posts about rose growing and hedgehog breeding might justifiably be regarded as off-topic.

A topic restricted solely to news about one manufacturer's product would be likely to fall foul of the RMweb rules on advertising.

Martin.

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

• RMweb Gold
6 hours ago, martin_wynne said:

All the previous posts have been on-topic too. 

A topic about track parts and kits available in different gauges and standards is naturally going to lead to thoughts about which to use, whether to make a change, what would be involved in that, and members' general track-building experiences. Posts about rose growing and hedgehog breeding might justifiably be regarded as off-topic.

A topic restricted solely to news about one manufacturer's product would be likely to fall foul of the RMweb rules on advertising.

Martin.

As you have now seen fit to change the title heading Martin, it would seem Wayne needs to create another thread for announcements of his new kits and developments?

Mike.

• RMweb Gold
24 minutes ago, Enterprisingwestern said:

As you have now seen fit to change the title heading Martin, it would seem Wayne needs to create another thread for announcements of his new kits and developments?

Mike.

Well, it is a bit ambiguous to have coverage of a specific product mainly in the "Handbuilt Track & Templot" area...

I think it's only here for historical reasons - where NFWEM57 created it (not Wayne) soon after he joined RMWeb.

The small suppliers area would probably be more appropriate for Wayne to start his own topic.

• Agree 1

Nothing wrong with it being in hand built track and Templot, likewise it fits into small suppliers. Let's face it the kits have to be hand built, the OP showed kits being built, other have added to it by actually modifying the kits. Thirdly for those who want something better from that what is available from the main stream, where else would you put it ? Its a track topic !! Perhaps its the sections title that needs altering !!

To me the detractors are those who seem to dislike anything that is not ready to run, this forum is not their natural home

Wayne is breaking new ground here bringing in a range of turnouts and gauges not available from the mainstream, namely turnouts designed to be built to prototypical designs and in my opinion he is making a very good jobs in doing so

He has made some to 00 gauge, however these have been further refined as well to 00sf gauge which gives those requiring something which both looks and operates an additional choice, simply its moving the hobby on

There is also a growing market for modellers wanting to take the extra step of widening the gauge to EM, just because you may not want to go down this route, others clearly do. If there is no market then the range will not take off, on the other hand it may be the thing that tips the balance for others

Lets face it Wayne is trying to please quite a broad group with these kits, from standard 00 to EM gauge. Please let us all get on with each other, as all developments benefit everyone.

• Like 8
  • Agree 4
  • Round of applause 2

• RMweb Gold
3 hours ago, Enterprisingwestern said:

Mike.

Hi Mike,

I would think a manufacturer having their own private topic for product announcements would fall into the category of RMweb advertising, and need an agreement with Warners Group Publications who own this web site.

Wayne has a fine web site of his own with full details of his products, and an option to subscribe to his newsletter, at: https://www.britishfinescale.com

I added the Finetrax product name to the topic heading so that folks know which range of kits this topic is about.

cheers,

Martin.

• Like 1

• RMweb Gold
4 minutes ago, martin_wynne said:

Hi Mike,

I would think a manufacturer having their own private topic for product announcements would fall into the category of RMweb advertising, and need an agreement with Warners Group Publications who own this web site.

Wayne has a fine web site of his own with full details of his products, and an option to subscribe to his newsletter, at: https://www.britishfinescale.com

I added the Finetrax product name to the topic heading so that folks know which range of kits this topic is about.

cheers,

Martin.

Revolution and Accurascale seem to manage it OK?

Mike.

• Agree 2

• RMweb Gold
7 minutes ago, Enterprisingwestern said:

Revolution and Accurascale seem to manage it OK?

Mike.

???

Their private advertising arrangements are matters for them. This section of RMweb is about track-building.

Martin.

• RMweb Gold
15 hours ago, BWsTrains said:

Bravo!

p.s. Colin,

If you want to read only Wayne's own posts, you can use this link:

https://www.rmweb.co.uk/community/index.php?/profile/10360-wayne-kinney/content/

Add it to your browser bookmarks.

cheers,

Martin.

If the thread title is going to be changed could it be changed to "Using the easy-assembly Finetrax pointwork kits in 00, EM and 3mm scale" given that the 3mm scale versions are effectively three quarters the size of the EM ones?

• RMweb Premium
59 minutes ago, whart57 said:

00, EM and 3mm scale"

Actually, its OO, OO-SF, EM, 3mm and N gauge I believe..! (and maybe 2mm as well)

And I am amazed how often the thread I started is having its title changed..!

• RMweb Gold
1 hour ago, whart57 said:

If the thread title is going to be changed could it be changed to "Using the easy-assembly Finetrax pointwork kits in 00, EM and 3mm scale" given that the 3mm scale versions are effectively three quarters the size of the EM ones?

???

I can't see any 3mm/ft kits on the Finetrax web site: https://www.britishfinescale.com . I would suggest starting a separate topic for 3mm/ft track building.

The N gauge kits have been available for some time and already have their own topics on RMweb:

https://www.rmweb.co.uk/community/index.php?/topic/65617-finetrax/

https://www.rmweb.co.uk/community/index.php?/topic/169217-british-finescale-improved-finetrax-n-gauge-point-kits/

cheers,

Martin.

1 hour ago, martin_wynne said:

???

I can't see any 3mm/ft kits on the Finetrax web site: https://www.britishfinescale.com . I would suggest starting a separate topic for 3mm/ft track building.

The N gauge kits have been available for some time and already have their own topics on RMweb:

https://www.rmweb.co.uk/community/index.php?/topic/65617-finetrax/

https://www.rmweb.co.uk/community/index.php?/topic/169217-british-finescale-improved-finetrax-n-gauge-point-kits/

cheers,

Martin.

All the same principles...let's all stay together ....just had invoice off 3mm for my points...so hear goes!

I beleave 14.2mm are first available though society then BF! So the story goes....

Many helpful tips to be found hear for point system.... just think of the 14.2mm ones as 4mm 3ft 6inch gauge track....

9 hours ago, martin_wynne said:

p.s. Colin,

If you want to read only Wayne's own posts, you can use this link:

https://www.rmweb.co.uk/community/index.php?/profile/10360-wayne-kinney/content/

Add it to your browser bookmarks.

cheers,

Martin.

Hi Martin,

From this and the earlier post it seems you've misunderstood my OT comments as I follow most content here with interest. What I was referring to as getting way Off Topic was not most material from the many contributors, yourself included. Otherwise why would I have made my own various inputs to the broad purpose of the Topic as well?

What's considered On/Off Topic is subjective beyond certain clear boundaries so having said my bit I'll tag along now.

PS link is handy, I have used that features for others input.

Edited by BWsTrains
  • Like 1

• RMweb Gold
31 minutes ago, BWsTrains said:

What's considered On/Off Topic is subjective beyond certain clear boundaries so having said my bit I'll tag along now.

Hi Colin,

Many topics are actually improved by drifting into other areas, and useful information often gets posted which probably wouldn't otherwise appear. It is in the nature of a forum that topics go where the contributors take them, just like any normal conversation.

What isn't acceptable in my view is for members to set themselves up as arbiters of what is and isn't allowed, and tell other members what they should or shouldn't be posting. It is easy to scroll past anything which doesn't interest you, and easy to steer a topic to wherever you want it to go by making a relevant post.

If you want a discussion over which you have some ownership and control, a forum isn't the place for it. The blogs section exists on RMweb for that purpose. You can start a topic on there, own it, and control the direction it takes.

cheers,

Martin.

• Agree 2

2 hours ago, bradfordbuffer said:

Many helpful tips to be found hear for point system.... just think of the 14.2mm ones as 4mm 3ft 6inch gauge track....

Unfortunately that doesn't work, the timbering is all wrong, at least for the 3ft 6in gauge ones I have drawings of.

• RMweb Gold
42 minutes ago, martin_wynne said:

It is easy to scroll past anything which doesn't interest you, and easy to steer a topic to wherever you want it to go by making a relevant post.

Whilst easy to do, sometimes what might initially seem to be an irrelevant posting contains a relevant bit of information, don't take it too personally, but, sometimes it's one of yours!

Broad relevance is easy to work out when posting IMHO, it's the tangential shrapnel which causes the problems.

Mike.

15 hours ago, martin_wynne said:

???

A separate topic was started, but it covers exactly the same ground as here, and most of those following also follow this thread. As I pointed out earlier, the 3mm scale versions - B6 only so far - are literally the EM point scaled down by three quarters, though as Wayne uses the appropriate Templot template you may know of any detail differences I am not aware of. The instructions supplied are the 4mm scale ones and the 3mm scale modellers who use them come looking here for tips.

As this thread is about using Wayne's excellent kits my belief is that there is so much overlap between using an EM kit and using a 3mm scale one that the discussions could be combined in a single thread.

• Like 1
  • Agree 2