Hornby 2021 - 9F new tooling

AY Mod

• Moderators

The British Railways Standard 9F Class was a 2-10-0 steam locomotive, the last of the standardised BR designs. The Robert Riddles design was intended as a long distance heavy express freight locomotive. In total 251 of the class were produced between January 1954 and March 1960, with the final locomotive No. 92220 ‘Evening Star’ being the last steam locomotive built by British Railways.

The huge length of the 10 coupled driving wheels proved problematic when faced with tight curves, a situation that freight haulage would make inevitable. A solution was found by removing the flanges from the centre driving wheel and reducing the size on the flanges on the second and fourth driving axle’s wheels. Riddles had chosen the 2-10-0 wheel configuration in-order to spread the load of the boiler over a greater area. This meant that the boiler had to be raised considerably compared to other designs to allow the firebox to sit above the trailing driving wheels. As a result, the 9F features a distinctive void between the suspended boiler and the footplate.

In operation the class proved extremely versatile. Not only did the 9F excel as a freight locomotive, but when required it also succeeded as a passenger locomotive. Reports even suggest that when 92220 ‘Evening Star’ was used to pull the Red Dragon express service between Cardiff and London it was forced to delay its arrival to allow the restaurant services to be completed, having outperformed the normal Britannia Class locomotives used on the service. This was not the only time 9Fs had been recorded outperforming dedicated express locomotives and on such services the locomotives were capable of running at over 90mph. This combination of high speed, fast acceleration and powerful hauling capabilities mean that many consider the class to be pinnacle of British steam locomotive design.

Locomotive numbers 92165–92167 were built with a mechanical stoker. This system used a helical screw to move coal from the tender straight into the firebox. This meant that coal could be burnt a faster rate than a fireman could maintain otherwise. Systems like this proved extremely useful on long distance American railways however in Britain it was rare for a locomotive to require such as high rate of coal delivery over a long period of time meaning that a good fireman could prove just as effective.

Slide74.JPG

No. 92167 was built with a double chimney and a mechanical stoker in 1958 at Crewe and entered service at the end of March, stationed at the Saltley depot. In March 1962 it was moved to Tyne Dock, before moving on to Bidston by the end of the year. In early 1963 No. 92167 moved to its penultimate shed, Birkenhead Mollington Street, where it stayed until 1967 at which point it was allocated to its final shed at Carnforth before being withdrawn in mid-1968.

Slide75.JPG

'Evening Star' was built at Swindon Works in 1960 and was the last steam locomotive to be built by British Railways, and the 999th BR standard class locomotive. No. 92220’s life was special from the beginning, with a naming ceremony taking place in March 1960. ‘Evening Star’ was the only 9F to be named by BR and the only 9F to receive a lined green passenger express livery. The name 'Evening Star' was chosen following a competition held by the BR Western Region Staff Magazine. The locomotive was withdrawn from service in 1965 after just five short years, and stored at Severn Tunnel Junction Marshalling Yard, after incurring minor damage in a shunting accident at Cardiff Docks.

In preservation ‘Evening Star' became part of the national collection and after the completion of the National Railway Museum was based at York, occasionally operating on the mainline and visiting heritage lines. Although ‘Evening Star’ has moved around in recent years such as returning to its birthplace, Swindon in 2008, the locomotive can currently be found on static display at the NRM in York.

This model depicts ‘Evening Star’ as the locomotive would have been when withdrawn from British Railways service in 1965. 

Slide76.JPG

• Like 4

• AY Mod pinned this topic

When the Bachmann model was first produced were there deficiencies which were noted then and have been forgotten over time? I have two Bachmann 9fs which I rate as some of the best engines I have. This is mainly based on running quality which in my opinion beats examples from most major manufacturers (including Hornby) built in the last few years. This will have to be a fairly impressive machine to make me consider additions/changes. Over to you Hornby to produce something good enough to override my disappointment in duplication of a model which I rate as one of the best.

(I would have been very interested in seeing upgrades of the Black 5 and 8f as I feel these have problems serious enough to warrant the '2021 treatment', but my Bachmann 9fs are infinitely better models than both of these...)

• Like 3
  • Agree 2
  • Friendly/supportive 1

• RMweb Gold

Will be interesting to see how they do the frames, if they find a way to model them open as per the prototype that would be a big improvement over the Bachmann one's solid lump.  Given Hornby have a good track record with this on things like the 28xx it feels promising.

If decent it will be mighty tempting, the only BR standard that I have ever considered buying just because of how impressive it looks.

• Like 3

• RMweb Premium

This feels utterly unnecessary, but they must think there's a market.  I find it hard to conceive a level of improvement over Bachmann's version that would persuade me to part with that sort of money.  

• Like 4
  • Agree 9

27 minutes ago, Downer said:

This feels utterly unnecessary, but they must think there's a market.  I find it hard to conceive a level of improvement over Bachmann's version that would persuade me to part with that sort of money.  

Depends, I think the Bachmann one is too expensive for what it is now (although the only 2 I would have carry a price premium anyway, Locomotion Evening Star or CC Leicester City).

• Like 1

An interesting choice, as said before the Bachmann one is a “good enough”

model but I have often thought it could be much improved. I believe that if Hornby do a quality job with the detail levels to match the current Princess and Duchess models then they may be onto a winner, there will definitely be some excited people if they follow up with Tyne dock variants in the future.

Cheers,

• Like 1
  • Agree 1

• RMweb Premium
11 minutes ago, Pandora said:

9F 92167 became a 2-8-2 after both rearmost  sections of the coupling rods were removed, will Hornby model that unique feature?

Easy enough to do that yourself lol

• Like 1
  • Agree 1
  • Funny 1

48 minutes ago, The Black Hat said:

Hoping that the 9F will have dcc socket put into the tender to allow easy installation of sound and speaker. Should be automatic that now on new models. 

Its new-tooling, main range, full price so its highly probable that the DCC gubbins will be located in the tender. 

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, Hilux5972 said:

Interesting that Simon pointed out in signal box that one of them has a mechanical stoker and this will be correctly replicated. 

Will it be DCC controlled?  :scratchhead:

• Like 1
  • Funny 2

• RMweb Gold
2 hours ago, The Fatadder said:

Will be interesting to see how they do the frames, if they find a way to model them open as per the prototype that would be a big improvement over the Bachmann one's solid lump.  Given Hornby have a good track record with this on things like the 28xx it feels promising.

If decent it will be mighty tempting, the only BR standard that I have ever considered buying just because of how impressive it looks.

My thoughts too. If it is all new tooling then die cast body (or just footplate?) allowing some weight reduction in the frames to give a representation of frame plates, at least at the top.

• Like 2

This has GOT to be THE steamie, alongside the P2 models .... H-D resurrected aside perhaps for collectors.

Totally agreed with several commenting on the Bachmann - definitely one of my favourite possessions - smooth, quiet and very decent haulage capacity.

If it can compare - presence, detailing and finish - with the Bachmann, this will be a major coup for Hornby.

Their original was excellent ... in the 70's,  The general appearance hasn't changed much at all since then, despite swap from tender to locomotive driven.

Al.

• Like 1

24 minutes ago, atom3624 said:

Their original was excellent ... in the 70's,  The general appearance hasn't changed much at all since then, despite swap from tender to locomotive driven.

Al.

It also received wire handrails and sat lower on the frames

• Like 1
  • Informative/Useful 1