Hornby 2021 - 9F new tooling

AY Mod

• 1 month later...
  • 1 month later...

Next batch now in stock.

Thank goodness they don't appear to have messed around with the drawbar as was suggested they might (with close coupling monstrosity)

They have amended the somewhat extreme changed in angle on the boiler handrail, however I sense have now gone too far the other way, with the handrail on the right hand side now seeming to straight, and even a little to low down.

https://www.hattons.co.uk/1136664/hornby_r30133_class_9f_2_10_0_92097_in_br_black_with_late_crest_with_westinghouse_pumps/stockdetail

1 hour ago, D5158 said:

Production photographs of the loco do not have the smoke box door shedplate on 92097 ???.

That would be correct after its working over & brush up early in 1965 with the warning flashes in those positions.

The painted door straps and dart surround but still no shed plate, came a little later.

Edited by Porcy Mane
Remove a brush.

• RMweb Premium
2 hours ago, Porcy Mane said:

That would be correct after its working over & brush up early in 1965 with the warning flashes in those positions.

The painted door straps and dart surround but still no shed plate, came a little later.

Many thanks for that Porcy.

Always something to learn.  So no cast plate ?.

Regards

• RMweb Gold
On 28/09/2023 at 20:22, D5158 said:

Hornby Tyne Dock 9F now in stock.

Mine is on its way.

Waiting for one of the sound guys to come up with the decoder for the Hornby Tyne Dock 9F. Most likely the same as existing 9F sound files plus Westinghouse pump operation.

• RMweb Premium
1 hour ago, zr2498 said:

Waiting for one of the sound guys to come up with the decoder for the Hornby Tyne Dock 9F. Most likely the same as existing 9F sound files plus Westinghouse pump operation.

I was chatting with John G at Digitrains a few weeks ago and he stated it would not be a big deal to add the pump sound file.

Formerly from North Yorkshire.

• Informative/Useful 1

Yoochoos have a Tyne Docker on its books if you happy with Zimo. Two different "pumps" as part of the project but whether they sound like the double Westi pumps is anybody's s guess.

Imagine it as an S160 pump x 2 and on steroids. Until the reservoir was fully charged.

• Thanks 2

• RMweb Premium

Thanks Porcy,

My preference is Zimo for decoders and  YouChoos are normally my first point of call.

I now see the Tyne Docker listed.

Regards

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

I received my Hornby 9F yesterday, R30132 No.92002. To my dismay the left hand side running board is warped, there are multiple blemishes to the paintwork of the boiler, just in front of the dome, and oil deposits on top of the smoke box. I’m returning it to the vendor for a full refund.

I thought that despite the massive price increases and previous bad experience of Hornby locos and rolling stock, given the new tooling with die-cast components etc., I’d try one last time to secure a Hornby loco for my fleet. But yet again I am utterly dismayed.

Steve

• Like 1
  • Friendly/supportive 3

• RMweb Gold
On 02/10/2023 at 22:31, Porcy Mane said:

Yoochoos have a Tyne Docker on its books if you happy with Zimo. Two different "pumps" as part of the project but whether they sound like the double Westi pumps is anybody's s guess.

Imagine it as an S160 pump x 2 and on steroids. Until the reservoir was fully charged.

Hi @Porcy Mane I have had a look at the Yoochoos web site, but only see Standard and Crosti 9F but no Tyne Dock?

21 minutes ago, zr2498 said:

Hi @Porcy Mane I have had a look at the Yoochoos web site, but only see Standard and Crosti 9F but no Tyne Dock?

Fourth option  (bottom) on the Std. 9F page.

Try this link.

https://www.youchoos.co.uk/Index-Shop.php?L1=Project&Item=BR9F&VARIANT=IMDRIVEMS16BitTYNEDOCK

Usual disclaimer...

Edited by Porcy Mane
  • Thanks 1

• 2 weeks later...
  • RMweb Gold

Sound fitted to a pair of 9F Tyne Docks.

A different install to the tender this time, with less cutting out of the tender floor.

Wheeltappers 9F Tyne Dock sound files

These is also a 3 wire stay alive fitted, which I really should have done on the last one as it is an ESU decoder.

• RMweb Premium

Initially I wasn't going to buy one of these as I'm still very happy with my Bachmann 9f models (a very good model doesn't stop being a very good model just because a newer alternative appears) but I must admit some of the offers available for the black versions are extremely tempting.

• Agree 1

I bought a Bachmann 9F with sound, the latest release, I pre ordered it ages ago and the price I paid at Rails was substantially cheaper than the Hornby one. I have been running it recently and considering it is considered inferior to the Hornby one it isn't that bad. The latest version has tender pickups which is a major improvement and the slow speed running is really good the only disadvantage is it still retains the old Bachmann pin arrangement to connect it to the tender.

• Informative/Useful 1

• RMweb Premium

I have an unusual problem with my example of R30133.

It runs fine forwards/backwards on analogue, but in only one direction with analogue power, but DCC decoder fitted (I've tried a couple of different Bachmann 36-557A 21 pin decoders). On a DCC circuit, the chip will accept an address, but when put on the track, the loco is making an electrical buzz sound.

I note with interest that the 21 pin arrangement means the decoder can only fit "upside down" compared to how they are normally wired up. I'm not assuming that this should be a problem, but that's not normally how 21 pin decoders fit (the black plastic block usually sits on the top).

In this current state, it's therefore "not working" and I'll have to discuss that with my retailer for a return. Anyone else having issues with theirs?

For reference, I've shown the 21 pin socket and how the decoder has to be arranged to sit on top of it.

The final photo on the red box shows the plastic 21 pin retaining block, which in my experience, normally sits on top when fitted to a 21 pin socket.

Edit: original out-of-box photo with the blanking plug fitted, as well as the page from the loco manual showing the decoder fitting the way I would expect it to be (plastic block facing up, for both blanking plug and decoder)

IMG_20231028_093659~2.jpg

IMG_20231028_093659~3.jpg

IMG_20231028_213227~2.jpg

IMG_20231028_214719~3.jpg

IMG_20231028_215552~2.jpg

Edited by GraemeWatson
  • Informative/Useful 1

• RMweb Premium

Looks to me that the pins on the PCB are fitted the wrong way around. The 'absent' pin should be so that you can fit your decoder the correct way up, as in the instructions. 

I don't have a new version 9F, but you can see it here:

https://www.keymodelworld.com/article/installing-digital-sound-hornbys-new-br-9f-2-10-0

Edited by Johan DC
  • Thanks 1

• RMweb Premium
8 hours ago, Johan DC said:

Looks to me that the pins on the PCB are fitted the wrong way around. The 'absent' pin should be so that you can fit your decoder the correct way up, as in the instructions. 

Agree.

So I've now been able to test a selection of 21 pin decoders on two different examples of Hornby Tyne 9Fs. Both decoders work fine in a Bachmann diesel before and after fitting to the Hornby Tyne 9F. But both 9F models give out an electrical buzz sound when placed on DCC or analogue track with a decoder fitted, but, works fine on analogue track with its upside down blanking plug.

This does remind me of the Hornby Class 50 reverse wired PCB situation, whereby the loco worked fine on analogue, but would blow chips up on DCC. 

Would be very interesting to hear from other members of they have successfully fitted decoders to their Hornby Tyne 9Fs. I'm concerned that I've reproduced the fault on two different locos.

• Informative/Useful 1

17 hours ago, GraemeWatson said:

I have an unusual problem with my example of R30133.

My 9F has had an identical set up to yours.  (Well it did have before I took the tools to it). For testing while it was in its standard form, I used a Zimo MX638D chip and all worked as expected. I did find that the decoder needed a firm push down to ensure it was properly seated. Sorry I can't be of more help.

9F-2023-Hby-TD-022-EditSm.jpg.4f7ff42f8f0aa13180d6684f60d1f573.jpg

• Informative/Useful 1

• RMweb Premium
20 minutes ago, Porcy Mane said:

My 9F has had an identical set up to yours.  (Well it did have before I took the tools to it). For testing while it was in its standard form, I used a Zimo MX638D chip and all worked as expected. I did find that the decoder needed a firm push down to ensure it was properly seated. Sorry I can't be of more help.

9F-2023-Hby-TD-022-EditSm.jpg.4f7ff42f8f0aa13180d6684f60d1f573.jpg

Appreciate this post, Porcy.

Perhaps the two I have had access to are unfortunately faulty in some way. It's helpful to note that yours works.

Gratefully appreciated.

To me it looks like the socket is wired 180 degrees out. Looking at your photo and the PCB I have the missing pin should be at the bottom left hand side on your's it is at the top. New Modellers do them as a spare part which I bought to fit to a couple of locos I am converting.

20231029_173130.jpg

20231029_173131.jpg

• Informative/Useful 1