Hornby 2021 - 9F new tooling

AY Mod

4 minutes ago, Paul.Uni said:

The coming soon page currently says August 2022

The product page says "Winter 2022"!!

Between this and my edited post about EP and livery samples, I'd be surprised at any 2022 date for these models.

though I'm sure they will be fantastic when they arrive (assuming they get the green correct on 92220!)

• Like 1

On 27/03/2021 at 10:37, Pufferazzi said:

The images certainly suggest that it has proper frames rather than a block...with the amount of daylight under the boiler that detail would be very telling. Looks smashing ...it would nice to have a smoke feature something like this...a pic I took in february 1967 at Chinley South Junction...we could hear it for ages as the fireman threw tons on coal in to keep her going. It was like thunder and had bad steam leaks as is evident. It would be nice if our models could come alive like this...come on Hornby give us some clagg too.1714593303_92104Chinley.jpg.3d90da7f194ebf9099acf50d49cee25e.jpg

I am certainly looking forward to the Hornby 9F.

Would it be permissable for me to edit-adapt this pic with a model engine and other changes to perspective and so on, like moving the engine closer? With acknowledgement to you as the source?

• Like 2

• RMweb Premium
5 hours ago, robmcg said:

I am certainly looking forward to the Hornby 9F.

I am too. Have 92220 and 92197 in order. My Bachmann 92220 will be retired into its wooden presentation box once Hornbys arrives. 

• Like 1

• 4 weeks later...
  • RMweb Premium

The new 9F looks stunning. All that metal in the boiler should produce a fantastic hauler. Zooming in closer to some pics, does look like the frames are open to a degree and it’s not just a big lump of metal. Be interesting to see if they get any internal valve gear detail in there. Obviously the gearbox/worm gear comes down inside the firebox, and it looks well done. Can’t see an extra blob of anything sticking out like the 28xx had that was fairly conspicuous, especially on the green versions. The 9F definitely looks like it will set new levels of detail for Hornby. 

EE3B4DD2-7E76-4A80-8490-5B341B57ABEE.jpeg

A5987AB3-81DF-4DFC-BF04-0460C0F179E7.jpeg

Edited by Hilux5972
Added image
  • Like 3

29 minutes ago, Hilux5972 said:

The new 9F looks stunning. All that metal in the boiler should produce a fantastic hauler. Zooming in closer to some pics, does look like the frames are open to a degree and it’s not just a big lump of metal. Be interesting to see if they get any internal valve gear detail in there. Obviously the gearbox/worm gear comes down inside the firebox, and it looks well done. Can’t see an extra blob of anything sticking out like the 28xx had that was fairly conspicuous, especially on the green versions. The 9F definitely looks like it will set new levels of detail for Hornby. 

EE3B4DD2-7E76-4A80-8490-5B341B57ABEE.jpeg

A5987AB3-81DF-4DFC-BF04-0460C0F179E7.jpeg

9Fs didn’t have any internal valve gear, mind you, even a representation of a frame spacer would be impressive. 

• Like 2
  • Agree 3

53 minutes ago, ivor the engine said:

Given that the driving wheel centres for 9fs are a constant 5 feet 5 inches apart, the enlarged photographs posted above, do not appear to reflect this. 

It's hard to tell but I think it could just be an illusion due to the wheels having generous side play and not being aligned.  

• Like 1

1 hour ago, ivor the engine said:

Given that the driving wheel centres for 9fs are a constant 5 feet 5 inches apart, the enlarged photographs posted above, do not appear to reflect this. 

As expected.

The normal modelling 9F compromise in wheelbase to accommodate the oversize 00 wheel flanges. Aftermarket 9F chassis kits also reflected this apart from the P4 Bradwell jobby.

1293597462_55Flange2Bubblescopy.jpg.c8fa4a6905f07b301d9755c52a34dbf5.jpg

• Like 2
  • Agree 1

• RMweb Premium
Just now, Porcy Mane said:

As expected.

The normal modelling 9F compromise in wheelbase to accommodate the oversize 00 wheel flanges. Aftermarket 9F chassis kits also reflected this apart from the P4 Bradwell jobby.

1293597462_55Flange2Bubblescopy.jpg.c8fa4a6905f07b301d9755c52a34dbf5.jpg

Unfortunately they have to make sure the locos work for everyone so they can’t just cater for the high end finescale modellers.  

• Like 1

1 minute ago, Hilux5972 said:

Unfortunately they have to make sure the locos work for everyone so they can’t just cater for the high end finescale modellers.  

As I said, "it's expected" (and accepted). All part of the necessary manufacturer compromises. Still looks to be shaping up to a fine attempt. Who knows, I may be tempted to go for one myself?  If I'm still here when it finally arrives.

• RMweb Premium

Now is it just me, a trick of the light, or something actually built in, but does anyone else thing the inside of the firebox looks like it has a brick arch or inner firebox representation? Am I being overly optimistic there?

17082AFA-BBBB-41C6-A209-B3977468755B.png

• Like 2

12 minutes ago, Hilux5972 said:

but does anyone else thing the inside of the firebox looks like it has a brick arch or inner firebox representation?

More like a fast breeder nuclear reactor the way the entire backhead is aglow.  :smile_mini2:

• Like 1
  • Informative/Useful 1
  • Funny 3

• RMweb Gold

It looks like Hornby have been listening when it comes to the driving wheels.. that tyre is looking much better than some other china made steam locos. 

They need to work on the front pony though… that front pony let down the 1979 model and the recent Crosti.

The firebox glow needs reducing from the moulten lava glow effect down to a more reasonable 600 degrees… if not the back of the firebox is going to melt !

But all round it looks a good effort.

Edited by adb968008
  • Like 1
  • Agree 1

20 hours ago, ivor the engine said:

Hmm, yes this photo does suggest that the distnance from the wheel centre of the flangeless wheel to its neighbours is less than between the two outer axles.... 81450

Quite how this will appear whee the brake detail is fitted between the wheels remains to be seen.

The gaps between the flanges appear somewhat generous so I do wonder whey they could not have been moved a little closer together (assuming the middle three axles are scale spaced).

What did Bachmann do in this regard in terms of spacing compromise? I don't have either of my Bachmann models  my model to hand at the moment

I don't think I would have noticed it without it being pointed out, but now its in mind...

Rest of the model really looks absolutely fantastic

EDIT - looking back at the CAD images, the difference in wheel centres was there as well. Just noone on here noticed it... damn...

Edited by G-BOAF
  • Agree 1
  • Interesting/Thought-provoking 2

• RMweb Premium
4 hours ago, G-BOAF said:

What did Bachmann do in this regard in terms of spacing compromise? I don't have either of my Bachmann models  my model to hand at the moment

Looking at my Bachmann model, it does look like the wheels are all evenly spaced. 

On 05/01/2022 at 14:25, scots region said:

9Fs didn’t have any internal valve gear, mind you, even a representation of a frame spacer would be impressive. 

My guess is that the frame spacer is actually too low down to be modelling accurately (see flickr picture below). I would further venture to say that there is no way the human eyeball could get to the right angle on a 4mm scale model to ever see spacers. To have them moulded higher would, imho be as wrong as not having them. But this is really starting to split hairs. The very fact that the tops of the frames are recessed (and hopefully painted red on the inside faces....?) is a step change on previous models.

• Like 3
  • Agree 1

• 2 weeks later...
14 minutes ago, maico said:

The engine shed says it has a die-cast body. Can you see it?

No but there is evidence of texture. Maybe it has been airbrushed black to try and disguise the very obvious tooling mark down the full lengths of the firebox, smokebox & boiler. To my eyes other than that compromise, it's looking good.