Hornby 2021 - 9F new tooling

AY Mod

On the B12 the die-cast parts are the cab sides, splashers, and the boiler up to the black chimney section. All very well finished. The prominent casting seams are hidden low down.

On the 9F I seem to see finer injection plastic molding seams on the boiler?

The running board is plastic on the B12, if the 9F boiler not not metal it would be important the chunky running boards are IMHO!

On the new 2MT the boiler and running board are metal

2mt_es_4.jpg

s-l16002.jpg

Edited by maico

• RMweb Gold
21 minutes ago, davidw said:

Interestingly the 2022 catalogue seems to be missing the new tooling Evening Star. It's still on the website.

Perhaps Hornby anticipated the 9Fs would have been delivered, and Evening Star sold out, long before the catalogue emerged....:angel:

John

• Like 1
  • Funny 1

7 hours ago, Dunsignalling said:

Perhaps Hornby anticipated the 9Fs would have been delivered, and Evening Star sold out, long before the catalogue emerged....:angel:

John

Wash your mouth out with soap Mr. H doesn't make mistakes...

121176633_Simonsock.jpg.d08f89ea0d7a84d68bec9980c47e826c.jpg

• Funny 7

• 2 weeks later...
  • RMweb Premium

I’m curious, since I’m still waiting for my catalogue to arrive in NZ, does this years edition have colour renders of the 9F or is it still just the photos as per last years catalogue?

Edited by Hilux5972
Correction

8 hours ago, Hilux5972 said:

I’m curious, since I’m still waiting for my catalogue to arrive in NZ, does this years edition have colour renders of the 9F or is it still just the photos as per last years catalogue?

Ryan,

Two versions are shown in the new catalogue, era 4 R3986 and era 5 R3987 both with late BR crest.

Strangely enough though there is no reference to Evening Star.

Both the aforementioned locos appear to be computer aided illustrations of the actual model.

Hope this assists !

Edited by Black 5 Bear
Typo
  • Thanks 1

On 22/01/2022 at 08:59, gooderz said:

Looks a good model, but I can't say it beats the Bachmann 9Fs enough for me to want to shell out on its silly price and add 9F no.5 to my collection

Only 5 ?     A bare minimum is 10, and I'll still buy one of the Hornby models if they sustain recent standards of detail, as per the A2s and others.

Could anyone perhaps scan the catalogue picture of the Hornby 9F from the catalogue, either one, so that we antipodeans still waiting for a colour image may drool over the prospect?

I did do this colouring of the pre-production model.

92194_9F_hornby_Image1_7a_r2080.jpg.e6ab1fb59b690d33bb688ecb97d9737f.jpg

and of course it's a fair way to go before we get to weather our models.

92116_9F_starting_8a_crop3_r2080a.jpg.c1a14258197aca05799212ba32c9f19e.jpg

92116 being a Bachmann version.

Edited by robmcg
addition, clarification. typos
  • Like 4

• RMweb Premium
2 hours ago, robmcg said:

Could anyone perhaps scan the catalogue picture of the Hornby 9F from the catalogue, either one, so that we antipodeans still waiting for a colour image may drool over the prospect?

I think it was decided previously that could be a breach of copyright. I’m anxiously awaiting mine too. Ordered 14 Jan from Hornby Magazine and still waiting. 

• Agree 1
  • Thanks 1

1 hour ago, Hilux5972 said:

I think it was decided previously that could be a breach of copyright. I’m anxiously awaiting mine too. Ordered 14 Jan from Hornby Magazine and still waiting. 

Ah yes. Why did I forget that.    I'm wondering if the catalogue might turn up sooner in a NZ retail store than taking a chance with a UK purchase? 

6 hours ago, robmcg said:

Ah yes. Why did I forget that.    I'm wondering if the catalogue might turn up sooner in a NZ retail store than taking a chance with a UK purchase? 

It's just a Photoshop image in the catalog. TBH not their best effort.

• 2 weeks later...
On 06/02/2022 at 20:12, davidw said:

It's just a Photoshop image in the catalog. TBH not their best effort.

I must admit I am hoping for something special from Hornby with the new 9F.

When I think of the standard achieved with the A2s and Clans and other recent large steam I transpose this to the engineering samples already shown and it bodes well for a 'state-of-the-art' model.

Will the next items of interest be livery samples? 

Also I think there are enough people left in my age-group (b.1950) who actually experienced the last 15 years of BR steam and that of course includes the 9F as a very much a 'must have' model.  That said, it will still have compromises brought about by 00 gauge, thick wheel profiles, type 2 curves, maybe type 3 or 4?, plastic deflectors, fragility, assembly and so on...   

• Agree 1

While waiting for the 9F I thought of the quality of such as the Britannia of 2006 and rather hope we can see quality RTR like this, or better.  

As I understand it the Brit was was relatively labour-intensive model to manufacture, and I cannot help but wonder if and how the new 9F will differ.  Hornby resurrected the Clans of 2010-11 with reasonable success, so one hopes that the standard of assembly of the 9F will be good.   It certainly was back in the 2000s.

70010_ibritannia_Image2_1abcdef_r2015a.jpg.35f420dc73a6eacde2180b1fecb8d7b6.jpg

To me, the subtle detail dimensions of Hornby models might just suddenly make the Bachmann 9F look slightly crude, brilliant though they are.   

Wouldn't it be amusing if Hornby announce a V2?  :)

Edited by robmcg
addition
  • Like 1

1 hour ago, robmcg said:

While waiting for the 9F I thought of the quality of such as the Britannia of 2006 and rather hope we can see quality RTR like this, or better.  

As I understand it the Brit was was relatively labour-intensive model to manufacture, and I cannot help but wonder if and how the new 9F will differ.  Hornby resurrected the Clans of 2010-11 with reasonable success, so one hopes that the standard of assembly of the 9F will be good.   It certainly was back in the 2000s.

70010_ibritannia_Image2_1abcdef_r2015a.jpg.35f420dc73a6eacde2180b1fecb8d7b6.jpg

To me, the subtle detail dimensions of Hornby models might just suddenly make the Bachmann 9F look slightly crude, brilliant though they are.   

Wouldn't it be amusing if Hornby announce a V2?  :)

They'd make a crisper model. If they got the livery right it would be a great model. Though personally I doubt it would happen.

• Agree 1

23 hours ago, davidw said:

They'd make a crisper model. If they got the livery right it would be a great model. Though personally I doubt it would happen.

Not too much to worry about on a BR 9F livery, unless you are weathering one, where the colours are indeed subtle!  As in my attempt to mess around with a Bachmann 9F image.... and replacing a lot of it with prototype dimensions and colours. and with the projected Hornby number... 

Give a rough idea in my opinion of what the Hornby model might look like. I hope. 

92194_9F_portrait10_3abc_r2080a.jpg.7adc8457e01be1d29968e634b8b12eac.jpg

Edited by robmcg
typo
  • Craftsmanship/clever 1
  • Round of applause 1

• 2 months later...

Any news of anything pre-production like 9F samples on the horizon?

SK  had suggested during his 1/2021 announcement that the CADS will bring a model as good or better than the A2/2s and A2/3s, which would be very good indeed.

Can we look forward to something like this highly edited mix of the prototype and a certain other model?

92194_9F_night_portrait2_1abcdefg_r2080a.jpg.07abaa6f86613c7531625ab0e5581b24.jpg

Edited by rjm
typo
  • Like 1

3 hours ago, Hroth said:

Just another 01/21 announcement that has vanished into the long grass.

I've not looked, but what's the price hike?

£252 new versions 

£109 railroad

• Like 1

On 04/05/2022 at 18:06, Hroth said:

Just another 01/21 announcement that has vanished into the long grass.

I've not looked, but what's the price hike?

Hornby list the newly-tooled versions 92167, 92194 and 92220 at UKP252,  available during summer 2022 and all three available for pre-order.

Edited by rjm
addition
  • Like 1

• 4 weeks later...
  • RMweb Premium

Unless my eyes are deceiving me, am I right in saying Hornby have corrected the spacing of the centre driving wheels?

The gap between the 2nd, 3rd and 4th set looks equal now compared to when they showed the first engineering prototypes which I beleive is now correct as the 9f's had an equal spacing between each axle? 

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, scots region said:

Quick look at Google suggest it should be clear. Either it's a plastic moulding with no clear window or it's a clear part that has accidently been sprayed all over by the factory.

Other than that the cab does look very good. Wonder why the fire box Flickr appears to have a piece of film over it? Could it be tinted to tone down the LED light? 

Edited by Pre Grouping fan
  • Agree 1