Hornby 2021 - Mk 4 coaching stock with DVTs

AY Mod

The first of my 2 tfw mk4 sets was completed the other day with the arrival of the long awaited kitchen coach. The second set is currently held at collets models for their kitchen coaches to arrive, before being sent out along with the tfw 67.

Overall quite happy with the DVT and coaches, nothing majorly wrong to point out that I’ve noticed yet anyways. Definitely look the part running on the layout

4DFBC0BB-063F-4C02-B997-F320D5971E6D.jpeg

4CBDD075-82DE-49D3-92C9-FE54CA613CCA.jpeg

• Like 7

16 hours ago, BR(S) said:

If this does turn out to be the case, is it possible to rectify it by removing the body and turning it 180 degrees?

Unfortunately not - the buffers and rubbing plate are mounted to the body and I believe the body is moulded as one piece so the blanked end would remain the wrong end.

I've had an update to say that this is going to be checked, but also that the FOs will not be re-run/rectified as majority of purchasers are happy with the model (which doesn't take account of customers cancelling orders like you have). Hopefully more customers get in touch to give feedback and let Hornby know if they are unhappy.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

39 minutes ago, adamvb said:

I've had an update to say that this is going to be checked, but also that the FOs will not be re-run/rectified as majority of purchasers are happy with the model (which doesn't take account of customers cancelling orders like you have). Hopefully more customers get in touch to give feedback and let Hornby know if they are unhappy.

I guess they'll do another run of FOs with different running numbers in the future, so will just have to wait on those.

Why would they make a new mould for the Intercity TSOE, with the buffers at the wrong end, when they have already used the correct mould for the GNER and LNER  versions?  Is it not more likely that the picture showing the livery is wrong?

Roddy

6 hours ago, Bryn_Bach_Railway said:

4CBDD075-82DE-49D3-92C9-FE54CA613CCA.jpeg

I'd not paid too much attention because it's the wrong scale and not of massive interest to me, but skimming past the pictures, it looks to me as though Hornby have got the shape of the cab side wrong. If this is out, it could affect the rest of the model too. It's particular noticeable on the TFW grey models, with the plain area on the side. Positioned as a continuation of the black headlight surrounds is a horizontal flat strip. On the Hornby model this is traingular shaped.

Mk4 DVT 82226 20210427 WrexhamGeneral

As this pic linked from Flickr shows, the two lines forming the top and bottom of this flat area are parallel, not the triangular shape on the model.

Jo

• Informative/Useful 1

5 hours ago, Roddy Angus said:

Why would they make a new mould for the Intercity TSOE, with the buffers at the wrong end, when they have already used the correct mould for the GNER and LNER  versions?  Is it not more likely that the picture showing the livery is wrong?

Roddy

Genuinely can't answer that as I'm not Hornby - I don't know if the tooling is made up of multiple parts and they've fitted the ends at the wrong end be it a designer error giving the go ahead or a factory error - bare in mind the FOs all have vents in IC livery, at the wrong end that shouldn't exist, but in the GNER/LNER only some have them - if that error could be made then this could also be an error - will have to see what the reply is once its been looked into or when they arrive if it is imminent. Hopefully it is incorrect artwork - but it isn't when it comes to the FOs - they match the images on the Hornby listings.

4 hours ago, Pmorgancym said:

OK what's the knack with the close couple bars?  The only way I can get them to couple is tonturnt he coaches on their roofs which becomes more and more difficult as the set increases in length!

Same here and unfortunately during my attempts to couple to the DVT recently I have broken the cam coupling on it as they are extremely flimsy. Contacted Hornby hoping they have spares...

5 hours ago, rxj27 said:

Same here and unfortunately during my attempts to couple to the DVT recently I have broken the cam coupling on it as they are extremely flimsy. Contacted Hornby hoping they have spares...

Literally did the same last night, they are so flimsy it's ridiculous

5 hours ago, Pmorgancym said:

Literally did the same last night, they are so flimsy it's ridiculous

Must be a trend with the TFW ones, as I did the same last week after receiving the buffet coach. My DVT is getting ready to be sent to Hersden so they can fix the dodgy tail light issue mine has. 

10 hours ago, D3489gibson said:

Must be a trend with the TFW ones, as I did the same last week after receiving the buffet coach. My DVT is getting ready to be sent to Hersden so they can fix the dodgy tail light issue mine has. 

What's the disgy tailight issue?

I've emailed about spare couplers but as they no longer list any spares as available on their site I'm not hopefull.  A class 50 coupler looks similar....

The two Intercity Mk4 coaches I kept on order (SO and buffet) arrived today.  One bogie needed to be twisted 180 degrees as it had been fitted the wrong way round, otherwise I'm pleased with the coaches. 

Good footage below from 23:12 of Intercity Mk4 coaches side-on at slow speed.  I notice the yaw dampers on the Mk4 bogies go from lower to higher left to right in all pictures I've looked at, but in this footage, they all seem to be the opposite way round for some reason.

https://youtu.be/DT2RjFWIr7U?t=1392

On 02/10/2022 at 18:06, adamvb said:

Genuinely can't answer that as I'm not Hornby - I don't know if the tooling is made up of multiple parts and they've fitted the ends at the wrong end be it a designer error giving the go ahead or a factory error - bare in mind the FOs all have vents in IC livery, at the wrong end that shouldn't exist, but in the GNER/LNER only some have them - if that error could be made then this could also be an error - will have to see what the reply is once its been looked into or when they arrive if it is imminent. Hopefully it is incorrect artwork - but it isn't when it comes to the FOs - they match the images on the Hornby listings.

I've had speedy confirmation back that the image was an error taken when the coach had been fiddled with in testing - the coach has been made correctly and the image has now been updated - which is great news. Hopefully the errant FO's will be re-run in time, or redone if feedback is made to Hornby.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

19 hours ago, Pmorgancym said:

What's the disgy tailight issue?

I've emailed about spare couplers but as they no longer list any spares as available on their site I'm not hopefull.  A class 50 coupler looks similar....

as you can see from the photos, both on DC and DCC, the tail light on the driver side of the DVT does not illuminate. This has only been a problem since a week after I recieved it. 

Screenshot_20220927-175823_Gallery~2[1].jpg

Screenshot_20220927-175849_Gallery~2.jpg

Screenshot_20220927-175845_Gallery~2.jpg

Screenshot_20220927-175835_Gallery~2.jpg

5 hours ago, BR(S) said:

I notice the yaw dampers on the Mk4 bogies go from lower to higher left to right in all pictures I've looked at, but in this footage, they all seem to be the opposite way round for some reason.

https://youtu.be/DT2RjFWIr7U?t=1392

The bogies were rotated 180 degrees early in their lives to improve ride quality.

Jo

• Agree 1
  • Informative/Useful 2

On 04/10/2022 at 16:01, adamvb said:

I've had speedy confirmation back that the image was an error taken when the coach had been fiddled with in testing - the coach has been made correctly and the image has now been updated - which is great news. Hopefully the errant FO's will be re-run in time, or redone if feedback is made to Hornby.

Such a shame on the Swallow set, as there are now different issues reported with the 91, the DVT, and the FOs. At ca £630 for a full set I think I will leave it and hope that things are rectified. I am ever hopeful Hornby will do a 91 in 'as new' condition with the small numbers and no name so I can use that with my rake of blue/grey sleepers and the 43 surrogate DVT. The LNER and TfW coaches that I have purchased do seem good though - definitely an improvement on the originals, especially the TSOE, so pleased with them.

48 minutes ago, scouse889 said:

Such a shame on the Swallow set, as there are now different issues reported with the 91, the DVT, and the FOs. At ca £630 for a full set I think I will leave it and hope that things are rectified. I am ever hopeful Hornby will do a 91 in 'as new' condition with the small numbers and no name so I can use that with my rake of blue/grey sleepers and the 43 surrogate DVT. The LNER and TfW coaches that I have purchased do seem good though - definitely an improvement on the originals, especially the TSOE, so pleased with them.

Honestly, I think* that you will find that next year there will be a re-run with new livery options. You might see things like EC Grey, Swallow no name (as you want), and maybe even another run of GNER for the Pre-Mallard Mk.4’s. There will probably also be another run of LNER stock to cope with how many modern 91’s they have done. Because it fills the gaps with what’s missing and other stock they have already produced.

*I don’t work for Hornby, so unless they are stupid then it would make sense. However we all know what Hornby can be like…

I too have just arranged to send my LNER DVT and a Mk4 to the Hornby service centre following the cam coupling snapping on the DVT and the cam spring breaking on one of the Mk4s. I was swapping the tension lock coupling for a rigid bar coupling when this happened. 

My LNER 91 has also gone back to TMC as I have at least 1 faulty light on the sharp end of the unit, as there are no lights illuminated on one side in both modes and on forward/reverse. 

Very disappointing. 

53 minutes ago, XChris said:

Honestly, I think* that you will find that next year there will be a re-run with new livery options. You might see things like EC Grey, Swallow no name (as you want), and maybe even another run of GNER for the Pre-Mallard Mk.4’s. There will probably also be another run of LNER stock to cope with how many modern 91’s they have done. Because it fills the gaps with what’s missing and other stock they have already produced.

I am sure you are correct. I would be amazed if the new LNER livery didn’t make an appearance as well.

• Agree 1

On 05/10/2022 at 18:50, Charlie24 said:

I too have just arranged to send my LNER DVT and a Mk4 to the Hornby service centre following the cam coupling snapping on the DVT and the cam spring breaking on one of the Mk4s. I was swapping the tension lock coupling for a rigid bar coupling when this happened. 

My LNER 91 has also gone back to TMC as I have at least 1 faulty light on the sharp end of the unit, as there are no lights illuminated on one side in both modes and on forward/reverse. 

Very disappointing. 

They just seem to be begging to be broken, I'm considering the hunt magnetic close couplers as a long term solution

3 hours ago, Pmorgancym said:

They just seem to be begging to be broken, I'm considering the hunt magnetic close couplers as a long term solution

I would hold fire just for now. I tried the bar couplers that Hornby provided and they are too short to take into account the flex in the NEM pocket mounting when there is a full rake when pushing so the rear few coaches collide on corners.  Reported it to technical at the end of August but not had any response/suggestion despite chasing.

I gave up and  purchased some of the Hunt new MK4 couplings at GETS on Sunday and so far I've had 4 pairs fail as the side wedges (that hold the coupling straight on corners) break off when the coaches are detached from one another (looks like because the magnets do not seperate straight when pulled apart), and some have lost their NEM legs and slid out in use. They seem more brittle and when I've removed the ones that have lost the wedges to replace them they have lost both feet when being pulled out of the NEM pocket - they seem a lot more brittle than the MK3 Sliding Door ones which were a similar design.

I've emailed them yesterday about the initial problem, and again today with a video - will update when I hear back.

Edited by adamvb
Additional detail.

Hi

I have a Mk4 Restaurant First in Intercity livery - I model sectorisation/preprivatisation  does anyone have any plans or onboard photos so that I can  create the counter and a representation of the kitchen area please?  (I'll be adding lighting) also presumably table cloths were on all day in the restaurant and not just at main meal service times? 20221011_171250.jpg.e03192a71892935a42265a4aa0c74ce1.jpg

3 minutes ago, QuoitsPlayer said:

Hi

I have a Mk4 Restaurant First in Intercity livery - I model sectorisation/preprivatisation  does anyone have any plans or onboard photos so that I can  create the counter and a representation of the kitchen area please?  (I'll be adding lighting) also presumably table cloths were on all day in the restaurant and not just at main meal service times? 20221011_171250.jpg.e03192a71892935a42265a4aa0c74ce1.jpg

Isn’t that the wrong interior moulding for the Intercity buffet - didn’t they have 2+1 first class style seating when first introduced, which was changed to standard 2+2 (and the vehicles turned around) in the Mallard refurbishment?

Edited by scouse889
  • Like 1
  • Agree 1

4 minutes ago, scouse889 said:

Isn’t that the wrong interior moulding for the Intercity buffet - didn’t they have 2+1 first class style seating when first introduced, which was changed to standard 2+2 (and the vehicles turned around) in the Mallard refurbishment?

That's what Hornby supplied it with, I always thought it was 2+1 lined up with windows with some single seat pull down tables? I've seen the clip on YouTube of the 1990/91? Yorkshire Pullman but don't know the Mk4s well enough to know if some scenes are filmed in the restaurant car or a FO providing additional catered seats.

If it is a wrong tooling - which I suspect as the counter is in the restaurant, I'll use an old Mk4 if it has 2+1 for the restaurant seating. 

• Agree 1