Freight only micro layout: for sale

On 10/10/2022 at 09:17, marc smith said:

Ah, tempted by other scales - we've all been there! Or is it just you & I Matt? I suspect not ;) 

That building is looking superb good sir. Great modelling, as ever 

Thanks Marc! Yes, got tempted by the dark side... back on track (no pun intended!) now though!

23 hours ago, mudmagnet said:

The 08 looks good Matt, dirty and faded blue would look good.

Thank you! Used your steps! 08945 is still looking the most likely. 

Matt

• Like 2

Hi all,

The 08 is edging closer to the weathering stage. I decided to add some details to the chassis, made from wire and offcuts of plastic rod and strip. These are not intended to be 100% accurate - representative only!

Still contemplating the rods, may try some Hornby ones.

The body has had an initial coat of Rail Blue (Lifecolor - horrible to spray but it was all I had) to cover the various scuffs and marks.

Matt

• Like 7

Hi all,

Just now, Enterprisingwestern said:

Agree with you on the rods, might not be an easy swap though.

The Bachmann version has the look of a later class 11 LMS shunter about it from some angles, hence my preference for the Hornby model.

Mike.

I agree Mike - coincidentally I've just bought a Hornby 08 (bargain price, couldn't resist) and it's undoubtedly the finer model in my opinion. But, I've started this so I'll persevere...

Step 1 of paint fading completed.

I had planned on mixing my own "faded Rail Blue" to avoid further use of the Lifecolor paint (nothing wrong with them, some people swear by them but they just don't work for me) but each of my mixes just looked wrong. In the end I had to return to the Lifecolor Rail Blue and add white. The colour is a lot better, but spraying was an unpleasant experience!

Note that one side looks lighter than the other in the photos, this is nothing more than a trick of the light.

Matt

• Like 8

17 minutes ago, Enterprisingwestern said:

Railmatch faded blue is a good representation IMHO.

Mike.

I don't/won't use enamels. My opinion only again, but no one makes a good Rail Blue acrylic. I find the Humbrol acrylics to not be very good generally, and the Railmatch acrylics are more like poster paint.

• RMweb Premium
4 hours ago, Enfys_Rainbow said:

I don't/won't use enamels. My opinion only again, but no one makes a good Rail Blue acrylic. I find the Humbrol acrylics to not be very good generally, and the Railmatch acrylics are more like poster paint.

I swear by Vallejo acrylics. Easy to mix colours with a bit of water & go on many surfaces (plastic, wood, metal) easily. 

• Agree 2

• RMweb Gold
On 13/10/2022 at 18:36, Enfys_Rainbow said:

This is one of those wagons that just doesn't look right regardless of what you do.

Part way through the weathering progress - there are bits I like, the end for example, but the rest...nope!

I'll keep tweaking it, but I'm losing interest in it rapidly!

Matt

I strongly suggest you have a break from the project and review at leisure.

Looks OK to me anyway...

ChrisH

• Like 1
  • Agree 4

21 hours ago, Gilbert said:

I strongly suggest you have a break from the project and review at leisure.

Looks OK to me anyway...

ChrisH

Thanks Chris, I'm thinking about stripping it right down, but I've put it away for now - will come back to it at some point.

Another (boring) 08 photo. Although it looks the same, I've actually done some more fading and started to weather the grilles. Long way to go, made stranger by the fact I can't really do much to the underside until I decide what I'm doing about the rods.

Next will be some markings...

Matt

• Like 5

Hello all,

I've started weathering the 08's bodywork and am making slow progress.

There aren't any photos (that I can find anyway) of the real 08945 being this faded, but....this is the effect I wanted to try and replicate.

All the rusting has been done with enamel paint.

Matt

• Like 14

Hello all,

Glad people (seem) to like the 08 so far. Believe it or not, this is my first "proper" attempt at detailing and weathering a locomotive.

A lucky eBay purchase sees me take ownership of an Accurascale MDV. I couldn't resist comparing it with the kit version from Chivers, which is very nice.

MDV02

MDV03

I've also started the first bit of scenic work on the layout by filling in the left hand side corner. As I want the buildings to be removable, all the scenic bits need to be constructed to allow this to happen. Cue a lot of hacking of polystyrene blocks!

Matt

• Like 11

• 2 weeks later...

I've been building another tree. Last time, I made it using twisted wire, but this time thought I'd utilise some old plastic armatures I bought ages ago - think they were sold by C&L back in the day.

These are pretty crude, and of course come in sections which means the joints have to be covered up. 

As this is intended to be against the backscene, I snipped branches from one side, and reattached a few using super glue.

The joints have been covered with filler, and and I've also thinned down some modelling filler with cellulose thinner to blend everything together and for some subtle texture on the trunk.

Tree01

Incidentally my box of 15 year old seafoam which cost me £3.75 is running out. This stuff is crazily expensive now, can't imagine why!

Matt

• Like 6
  • Craftsmanship/clever 1

• 3 weeks later...

Hello all,

Not had a great deal of time for modelling recently, which has meant the motivation for ongoing projects (Class 08 in particular) has fizzled out.

Four years ago my daughter had just been born, and in those limbo times where she, and my wife, were sleeping I managed to build a Dapol Class B tank wagon kit at the kitchen table. Despite not really having a use for it, I was pleased with it, especially given the circumstances under which it was built. It took me ages to finally paint it and when I did, it was ok, but I was never fully satisfied, despite working on it several times.

Class B tank

Anyway, it's been in storage for a good few months. I dug it out this weekend with a view to sorting it out (again).

I decided to strip the paint, and do various detail tweaks (not necessarily accurate!), the biggest of which will be an upgrade to the walkway using the @RThompson etched parts.

Anyway, enough waffle - here's the state of play:

In other news, I've started some scenic work on the layout.

Matt

Edited by Enfys_Rainbow
  • Like 12

Look forward to seeing how the wagon turns out, what did you use to strip the paint? I'm struggling to get paint of an old Lima class 31, I used Detol on another loco but I'm trying a few experiments on this one, at the moment it's covered in Mr Muscle oven cleaner. 

• Like 1