The non-railway and non-modelling social zone. Please ensure forum rules are adhered to in this area too!

Formula 1 2021

Oldddudders

1 hour ago, LNERandBR said:

For track limits maybe they should take the Rally approach and stick a round bale or lump of concrete on the inside and outside of corners where they don't want the cars to go :D

I can think of one F1 circuit that's been doing that since the 1920s....

Trouble is that a lump of concrete wouldn't have stopped what Max did on Sunday - it wouldn't have been his car that hit the concrete first.

• Agree 3

The question has to be asked that following the Silverstone incident there was intense scrutiny about the positioning of Lewis’s steering wheel as he approached the corner where MV crashed ….yet the same doesn’t seem to be noted with MV steering wheel in this latest incident in which the new footage clearly show he never intended to make the corner correctly. 

• Agree 14

2 hours ago, Andrew P said:

Red Bull threaten protest over “score marks” on Mercedes rear wings in Qatar.

https://www.racefans.net/2021/11/19/red-bull-threaten-protest-over-score-marks-on-mercedes-rear-wings-in-qatar/

Max keying the Mercs again?  I wish he wouldn't, its not a good example.....

Edited by Hroth
Too many iis spoil the spelin...
  • Like 1
  • Funny 8

53 minutes ago, didcot said:

Don't give up do they, but then empty vessels make the most noise

One does wonder what the Sponsors of Red Bull feel about the way the team are continually winge winge winge …….as it’s not exactly a very sporting way to behave  which cannot be good for  their Brand Name 

• Like 1
  • Agree 5

3 hours ago, LNERandBR said:

For track limits maybe they should take the Rally approach and stick a round bale or lump of concrete on the inside and outside of corners where they don't want the cars to go :D

Barrels and old tractor tyres would work well...

Gismorail summed it up best for me But it seems one rule for one... And not for anyone else... No wonder Toto made some very sarcastic comments.

• Agree 4
  • Thanks 1

On 18/11/2021 at 13:41, didcot said:

Adrian Newey comes across as a descent chap. His biography is eye opening. He has been missing from the Prat Perch I mean Pit Wall this year.

He's been recovering from a bicycle accident.

Jo

• Agree 1
  • Informative/Useful 2

• RMweb Gold
35 minutes ago, Hobby said:

Barrels and old tractor tyres would work well...

Gismorail summed it up best for me But it seems one rule for one... And not for anyone else... No wonder Toto made some very sarcastic comments.

Track limits work well in Monaco, Canada, Singapore and similar street circuits where it becomes self policing as there is hard and unforgiving barrier! That proves they can do it when they must.

Electronic GPS tracking perhaps for the big wide space circuits, go off once gets an automatic pit lane drive through, second and every subsequent time and that lap is deleted, race stays with cars in actual track positions but they are suddenly a few positions or laps down. If it is one of the leaders they will have to pass everyone again; bet they would not go off track too often then.

• Like 4
  • Agree 1

44 minutes ago, john new said:

Track limits work well in Monaco, Canada, Singapore and similar street circuits where it becomes self policing as there is hard and unforgiving barrier! That proves they can do it when they must.

Electronic GPS tracking perhaps for the big wide space circuits, go off once gets an automatic pit lane drive through, second and every subsequent time and that lap is deleted, race stays with cars in actual track positions but they are suddenly a few positions or laps down. If it is one of the leaders they will have to pass everyone again; bet they would not go off track too often then.

Deleting a lap wouldn't just put a driver a lap down - they would also have used fuel and tyres in doing the lap that didn't count.

• Like 2
  • Agree 3

• RMweb Premium
5 hours ago, gismorail said:

One does wonder what the Sponsors of Red Bull feel about the way the team are continually winge winge winge …….as it’s not exactly a very sporting way to behave  which cannot be good for  their Brand Name 

I bet Red Bull themselves don't give a t*ss.

I'll bet they're actually quite pleased about the extra publicity.

• Agree 5

3 hours ago, newbryford said:

I bet Red Bull themselves don't give a t*ss.

I'll bet they're actually quite pleased about the extra publicity.

You are quite correct but is it the sort of publicity that puts the product in the  right right sort of light in this PC world we live in. 

• Like 2

7 hours ago, gismorail said:

You are quite correct but is it the sort of publicity that puts the product in the  right right sort of light in this PC world we live in. 

I'm not sure that many of those who drink it would notice.   :rolleyes:   :jester:

• Agree 4

• RMweb Premium

From the BBC  F1 site .  Says ALL rear wings .

Red Bull: FIA to test rear wings after qualifying

You've heard the case of Red Bull against Mercedes and their rear wing. You've heard Mercedes retort. And you've probably seen the pictures by now showing these "score marks" that Red Bull allege is aiding their rivals' straight-line speed.

But what is new information on Saturday in this contentious off-track battle is that Red Bull say the FIA will be testing all rear wings after the session, seemingly following up on their questions.

"The FIA are the ones who can check these things and we're really delighted to see that they've introduced a fact-finding mission here, that after qualifying they're going to be testing these wings," Red Bull boss Christian Horner tells Sky F1.

"There will be a pull-down test on the back of the wing. So effectively an amount of load will be added to the back of the wing, maybe 70-80 kilos, and it will be ramped up in stages so you'll be able to measure the deflection.

"It's great that the FIA are being proactive, they're looking at it. Our concern isn't so much here, where straight-line speed isn't at the premium where potentially it is in Saudi and Abu Dhabi. So we're glad they're taking it very seriously.

"There's so much at stake, and we want to make sure these next three races are an absolutely even playing field."

To make it clear; Mercedes insist their rear wing legal and it has passed all tests so far.

Edited by Sidecar Racer
  • Agree 1
  • Interesting/Thought-provoking 3

• RMweb Gold
22 hours ago, Andrew P said:

Red Bull threaten protest over “score marks” on Mercedes rear wings in Qatar.

https://www.racefans.net/2021/11/19/red-bull-threaten-protest-over-score-marks-on-mercedes-rear-wings-in-qatar/

This is what they are allege is the "secret" to Mercedes wing.

I think Horner is just full of hot air as usual, desperate to try any tactic to stop Merc beating them on track. Very ironic given how RB were caught red handed with flexi wings earlier . Takes one to know one...

Personally I loved doing a tear down for the scrutes after winning a race. We had to pull the motor down between races anyhow, so when the opposition accused of have having bigger engines than the regs, this was just salt in the wound, proving we were totally legal and still 0.5s faster than you. We know how to tune, you don't. Deal with it.

• Like 3
  • Agree 1