Accurascale's First Steam Locomotive; GWR Collett 78xx Manor Class!

I wouldn’t be surprised if the Manors were already in the warehouse awaiting dispatch once the current batch of 37s is complete.

We’ve seen how crazy modellers get when they know models are sat awaiting dispatch.

You might all be tracking planes carrying no Swindon inspired products at all…

• Like 4

• RMweb Gold

Coming into land now at Llandegley International airport.

Took off from Hong Kong Kai Tak yesterday, and landed at Berlin Templehof overnight,  and a drop off at Spain's Ciudad Real this morning according to Flightradar.

should be through Duty free and customs in a day or two.

I hope they did fill in the customs declaration in Welsh and the boxes carry the Welsh dragon as a kite mark ? (A welsh dragon and a Hong Kong dragon are the same right ?)

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Llandegley_International_Airport

Edited by adb968008
  • Funny 8

• RMweb Gold
28 minutes ago, adb968008 said:

Coming into land now at Llandegley International airport.

Took off from Hong Kong Kai Tak yesterday, and landed at Berlin Templehof overnight,  and a drop off at Spain's Ciudad Real this morning according to Flightradar.

should be through Duty free and customs in a day or two.

I hope they did fill in the customs declaration in Welsh and the boxes carry the Welsh dragon as a kite mark ? (A welsh dragon and a Hong Kong dragon are the same right ?)

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Llandegley_International_Airport

Drove past there two days ago …. No sign of any relevant activity unfortunately! If they have landed there the first ones will be delivered to the local sheep for sure…. 😀

• Like 2
  • Funny 2

• RMweb Gold
16 minutes ago, Phil Bullock said:

Drove past there two days ago …. No sign of any relevant activity unfortunately! If they have landed there the first ones will be delivered to the local sheep for sure…. 😀

I know the customs officer, Shaun. Hes a bit sheepish.

indeed everyones on first name terms at that airport.

Pat the part time postman will deliver  the cargo, Zippy and Bungle are the ground staff.

Dougall operates the ground tractor, if he gets himself off the magic roundabout that is, it was friday night afterall last night and he takes various powders.

The odd job man is a bloke called Morph who can do anything.

Mrs Rabbit does all the paperwork and admin, shes formal but then she does work in the civil service.

Another formal one is Mr Spoon who operates the control tower, then again its a serious job, hes into Rocketry at the weekend, dreams of going to the moon.

The problem is the airport is only open 9-5pm, closed at weekend, and wednesday afternoons for training… if the flight is late they just have to sit and wait on the runway until it reopens.

Edited by adb968008
  • Like 2
  • Round of applause 2
  • Funny 5

• RMweb Gold
1 minute ago, adb968008 said:

I know the customs officer, Shaun. Hes a bit sheepish.

indeed everyones on first name terms at that airport.

Pat the part time postman will deliver  the cargo, Zippy and Bungle are the ground staff.

Dougall operates the ground tractor, if he gets himself off the magic roundabout that is, it was friday night afterall last night and he takes various powders.

Mrs Rabbit does all the paperwork and admin, shes formal but then she does work in the civil service.

And no doubt they all meet down the Severn Arms on a Friday night? Oh hang on they might struggle with the cattle (sheep ?) grids across the common. I think it was Shaun we saw wandering drunkenly across the road on the common heading back from the pub.,,,

• Like 2

• RMweb Gold

And in the same week that the world has the hottest weather ever. A bunch of toys for adult men is airlifted around the globe. To save about an extra 10% waiting time, since they were anounced.

Edited by Vistisen
  • Like 1
  • Agree 1
  • Round of applause 2
  • Friendly/supportive 4

• RMweb Gold
1 hour ago, Vistisen said:

And in the same week that the world has the hottest weather ever. A bunch of toys for adult men is airlifted around the globe. To save about an extra 10% waiting time, since they were anounced.

Probably consumed less carbon than the drive to work, because they were efficiently sent in bulk, where as most cars are 1 per person.

models made from oil celebrating trains using oil..Your on the wrong forum for a justoil protest…

indeed if you care so much, turn off your computer, servers are using avg 4kw per hour to turn cpu energy to into heat and another 4kw to cool… thats c7 pieces of coal an hour on a c500g piece, thats 84 kg a day for your viewing pleasure.

By comparison, running a model of a manor will typically consume 0.2amp at 12v = 2.4w per hour, so 24 hours running will be in region of 5.2w a day, or 0.005 kwh, thats 0.0001 of a piece of coal per day.

Air for 6000 miles is 1.1kg / 1000, so 6.6kg, shipping 0.03kg/1000 so 200 g, an impact of 6.4kg of carbon on 1kg, a manor I would guess is about 500g, so 3.2kg of carbon.

summary…
i’ll take the saving on time, playing with a Manor, instead of the internet for a day will bring a coal saving of 81.79999kg for day 1 and 84.99999kg each day after, for every earlier day that it arrives than by sea.

if air is a week, sea is 6, thats 5 weeks time saved. If say 6000 manors are sent, thats 5weeks of 7 days * 6000 Manors * 82kg = 17mn tonnes of coal  saved, and a lot of forum column inches.

Assuming we all eyes down 24/7 fawning over manors. (Its 20k kg per hour for 6000 users).. i’d imagine many wont even put them on track and just observe them, using 0kg, but maybe making emissions of their own.

Besides, real Manors are more efficient anyway, smaller boilers for light laid lines than Halls.

Statistics.. they can be bent any way for any message from any angle, to suit any agenda.

Save the world, buy Manors and just look at them.

Edited by adb968008
  • Like 4
  • Agree 2
  • Interesting/Thought-provoking 1
  • Round of applause 3

• RMweb Gold
1 hour ago, Vistisen said:

Whilst I sympathise with the sentiments I don’t think our railway models caused the trade globalisation that has triggered this outcome

• Agree 4

• RMweb Gold
47 minutes ago, adb968008 said:

Probably consumed less carbon than the drive to work, because they were efficiently sent in bulk, where as most cars are 1 per person.

models made from oil celebrating trains using oil..Your on the wrong forum for a justoil protest…

indeed if you care so much, turn off your computer, servers are using avg 4kw per hour to turn cpu energy to into heat and another 4kw to cool… thats c7 pieces of coal an hour on a c500g piece, thats 84 kg a day for your viewing pleasure.

By comparison, running a model of a manor will typically consume 0.2amp at 12v = 2.4w per hour, so 24 hours running will be in region of 5.2w a day, or 0.005 kwh, thats 0.0001 of a piece of coal per day.

Air for 6000 miles is 1.1kg / 1000, so 6.6kg, shipping 0.03kg/1000 so 200 g, an impact of 6.4kg of carbon on 1kg, a manor I would guess is about 500g, so 3.2kg of carbon.

summary…
i’ll take the saving on time, playing with a Manor, instead of the internet for a day will bring a coal saving of 81.79999kg for each day earlier it arrives than by sea.

Besides, real Manors are more efficient anyway, smaller boilers for light laid lines than Halls.

I was quite aware that I was almost certainly going to get at least one calculation showing how, silly I am. We all have a responsibility to ' do our bit' to prevent global warning, and soon the sand will be too hot for the ostriches to keep their heads buried.  We all have priorities, and great care should be taken to promote thought, without imposing one’s own priorities on others. If I did not do that then I apologise.

Freighting of goods around the world remains one of the biggest areas for improvement. As this is a railway related forum I would be interested to hear about the carbon footprint for goods transported from China via sea, air and the new(ish) train option; https://www.sino-shipping.com/rail-freight-china/ It must depend on how much of the root is electrified, and how that power is generated.

Edited by Vistisen
  • Like 3
  • Agree 1
  • Friendly/supportive 3

• RMweb Gold
41 minutes ago, Vistisen said:

I was quite aware that I was almost certainly going to get at least one calculation showing how, silly I am. We all have a responsibility to ' do our bit' to prevent global warning, and soon the sand will be too hot for the ostriches to keep their heads buried.  We all have priorities, and great care should be taken to promote thought, without imposing one’s own priorities on others. If I did not do that then I apologise.

Freighting of goods around the world remains one of the biggest areas for improvement. As this is a railway related forum I would be interested to here about the carbon footprint for goods transported from China via sea, air and the new(ish) train option; https://www.sino-shipping.com/rail-freight-china/ It must depend on how much of the root is electrified, and how that power is generated.

Yes but its a thread about Manors.

If you want to prepare a business case shipping Manors via rail through two hostile countries, which are subject to sanctions by half the world please go ahead. I’m sure you could transit via Ukraine instead of Belarus and they would stop emitting carbon and carbide at each other for a few minutes, just to let these past.

Alternatively send via Iran and the silk route with yaks and donkeys, they could get a free Shaheed upgrade from Tehran, or even worse, loaded into a class 141 marked return to sender.

if your serious about calculating carbon cost via sea vs air, you dont need a railway forum, just use this link.. I didnt just make up a silly response, I actually used real links..

https://www.co2everything.com/co2e-of/freight-air#:~:text=1000 km of air freight for one 2kg package.,equivalent to 4.42kg CO2e.

And coal

https://www.eia.gov/tools/faqs/faq.php?id=667&t=2

I do actually have a dog in this fight, my entire 25 year career has been in part based around making high end IT more efficient, in one form or another, but thats work and if you have a large IT estate I will happily talk about it all day long mid week, but here is about fun.

Edited by adb968008
  • Like 2
  • Agree 2

• Moderators
10 minutes ago, Vistisen said:

We all have a responsibility to ' do our bit' to prevent global warning, and soon the sand will be too hot for the ostriches to keep their heads buried. 

Using the internet causes a server somewhere to get warm and requires energy to cool it down.

It could be said that Accurascale's decentralised staff has a reduced carbon footprint so let's not apply a broad brush to a situation where not all facts are known and start another bloody internet argument off at the weekend. Otherwise I'll need to go out for a drive in my non-ULEZ compliant vehicle for a change of scenery.

• Like 3
  • Round of applause 5
  • Friendly/supportive 4

• RMweb Gold

At least the Manors don’t have batteries and won’t set a ship or plane on fire. Imagine all the 3700 Egyptians waiting for their German cars after the recent car carrier fire. I bet VWweb is ablaze too !

• Like 2

• RMweb Gold
10 minutes ago, adb968008 said:

Oh i’m not so sure about this one..

I can see thermal inefficiencies around the cylinder/ smokebox pipe.

It's just a nice photo of a beautiful steam engine.

We've had photos of 7812, 7821, 7808, 7822 today.

Can we get the full house before Accurascale make their next big announcement?

Edited by Harlequin