Users will currently see a stripped down version of the site until an advertising issue is fixed. If you are seeing any suspect adverts please go to the bottom of the page and click on Themes and select IPS Default. ×

Accurascale's First Steam Locomotive; GWR Collett 78xx Manor Class!

• RMweb Gold
1 hour ago, jamieb said:

Mine hasn't arrived yet ...

But in fairness to Accurascale, I haven't actually bought one 😛

Well I think you should buy one! There would be no regrets.

• Like 1

• RMweb Gold

What do you make of this:

While I was running my sound-fitted Manor for the first few days, I honestly couldn't hear any difference between the heavy load, normal and light engine settings. I think I could see differences in the simulated momentum but I didn't test it scientifically.

Then last night the loco ran into some points that were set the wrong way (no interlocking / bad signalman). The system shutdown as normal but the loco kept on running, because of the stay-alive, and pushed the points aside by itself. I don't think I've ever seen that before - most locos simply aren't heavy enough to do that even if they have got the ability to run for a short distance when the power is off.

The really interesting thing is, having gone through that accident I noticed that I can now hear the difference between the heavy, normal and light engine chuffs...!

I don't think I'm going crazy. Anyone else observed the same kind of thing? Can you hear the difference in the chuffs of those three modes?

Edited by Harlequin
  • Informative/Useful 2
  • Interesting/Thought-provoking 4

• RMweb Premium
1 minute ago, Harlequin said:

While I was running my sound-fitted Manor for the first few days, I honestly couldn't hear any difference between the heavy load, normal and light engine settings. I think I could see differences in the simulated momentum but I didn't test it scientifically.

Then last night the loco ran into some points that were set the wrong way (no interlocking / bad signalman). The system shutdown as normal but the loco kept on running, because of the stay-alive, and pushed the points aside by itself. I don't think I've ever seen that before most locos simply aren't heavy enough to do that even if they have got the ability to run for a short distance when the power is off.

The really interesting thing is, having gone through that accident I noticed that I can now hear the difference between the heavy, normal and light engine chuffs...!

I don't think I'm going crazy. Anyone else observed the same kind of thing? Can you hear the difference in the chuffs of those three modes?

Sounds like you scared the chuffing daylights out of it........:)

• Round of applause 2
  • Funny 5

51 minutes ago, Harlequin said:

Then last night the loco ran into some points that were set the wrong way (no interlocking / bad signalman). The system shutdown as normal but the loco kept on running, because of the stay-alive, and pushed the points aside by itself. I don't think I've ever seen that before most locos simply aren't heavy enough to do that even if they have got the ability to run for a short distance when the power is off.

It may be that I had mine on a rolling road so could tell better but there is a difference between the 3. Momentum is clearly different and light engine is noticeable compared to others in sound terms 

• Like 3

• RMweb Gold

Thank you Accurascale for a superb model that oozes quality and captures  the presence of the real thing except for the smell !! I collected mine from a DHL service point when all the grandchildren had gone home. If SWMBO finds the box she will think I’ve been buying expensive O gauge stuff but would be surprised at the very reasonable price ! Now I have to get some DCC kit to make it work to get the best out of the sound chip - but it’s DC for now!

• Like 7

• RMweb Gold
5 hours ago, GreatWesternFan220 said:

A comparison of liveries between the Accurascale Manor and a relatively recent(ish) Bachmann GWR tender loco, the Modified Hall. Not as rich as I thought but it does come pretty close. Hope these are useful to some.

20230814_025702.jpg

20230814_025745.jpg

20230814_025814.jpg

20230814_025931.jpg

20230814_025939.jpg

20230814_030056.jpg

Oh yes,the Mod.Hall that needs another “mod”…without which it ain’t proper. I know it was returned to the factory after the first design error but they didn’t ultimately get it right.If you look at photograph of the head on “face” of a Modified Hall you will see exactly what I’m banging on about.  Needs a couple of bits to fix it. I personally prefer the matt finish smoke box on the Manor.It gives the model an aura of verismo.

• Like 4
  • Agree 1
  • Thanks 1
  • Round of applause 1

• RMweb Gold
3 hours ago, Harlequin said:

Then last night the loco ran into some points that were set the wrong way (no interlocking / bad signalman). The system shutdown as normal but the loco kept on running, because of the stay-alive, and pushed the points aside by itself. I don't think I've ever seen that before - most locos simply aren't heavy enough to do that even if they have got the ability to run for a short distance when the power is off.

I worked out what's going on. If you change mode while the loco is moving the chuff sound remains the same until you make a throttle change. An odd bit of programming  that I've never seen in a sound decoder before.

So probably nothing to do with the accident - just coincidence.

Edited by Harlequin
  • Like 1
  • Informative/Useful 3
  • Interesting/Thought-provoking 1
  • Friendly/supportive 1

• RMweb Premium
6 hours ago, GreatWesternFan220 said:

A comparison of liveries between the Accurascale Manor and a relatively recent(ish) Bachmann GWR tender loco, the Modified Hall. Not as rich as I thought but it does come pretty close. Hope these are useful to some.

20230814_030056.jpg

I notice 7812 has lost it RH weathersheet fixing point

• Thanks 1

• RMweb Premium

At least the smokebox dart and buffers haven't fallen off mine whilst running, unlike another purchase.

My Dapol mogul has lost the dart, I know no where and the LH front buffer fell off, both whilst operating. I have found the buffer.🙂

Edited by melmerby
  • Friendly/supportive 4

8 hours ago, Lord Cooper said:

Don't get shipped till the 21st , I emailed them directly.  Quite annoying as I was going to use it at silverfox dcc exhibition for my layout but :(

They are being shipped out, mine updated yesterday to ‘In Transit’ with an updated RM tracking number, due for delivery on Wednesday so yours may arrive before the weekend.

As take that said “Just have a little patience” 

• RMweb Premium
29 minutes ago, Northmoor MPD said:

As take that said “Just have a little patience” 

They also did a ditty called "the day after tomorrow". In the finest traditions of rock/modelling, was this Barlow musing over a long awaited Dapol arrival?

9 hours ago, melmerby said:

I notice 7812 has lost it RH weathersheet fixing point

Yes it was "barely hanging on" so to speak. Nicked it taking the model out of the packaging and it just fell off. Thankfully it was easily recovered and I've placed it in one of the detail bags for safe keeping. I'll reattach it at a later date. To be honest, there doesn't seem to be much glue holding on to begin with. The other side is fine...for now.

• Friendly/supportive 2

• RMweb Premium

I have discovered the very delicate 'bits' on this lovely Loco/Tender.

My fault, not bits falling off. Fireman side Tender 'andle (Scoop?). Knocked whilst attempting to insert Driver; it broke. Faff to mend but not really visible thank goodness.

Anyway, tender look so much better with coal load removed; as someone has said I believe, beware the Fire Iron 'Tunnel/Trough' when removing the Load. It will break away at the rear end.

Smokebox Door, top Lamp Bracket; went to stick a Disc on it and it was quite wobbly and loose.

Disc shout the ped's; Yup, a damn BRSR Disc. There's one on the Buffer/front Centre Footplate Bracket as well.  

Phil

• Like 1
  • Informative/Useful 1
  • Friendly/supportive 4

• RMweb Gold
1 hour ago, GreatWesternFan220 said:

Yes it was "barely hanging on" so to speak. Nicked it taking the model out of the packaging and it just fell off. Thankfully it was easily recovered and I've placed it in one of the detail bags for safe keeping. I'll reattach it at a later date. To be honest, there doesn't seem to be much glue holding on to begin with. The other side is fine...for now.

Don't worry - they weren't a permanent fitting in any case but just bolted on in the weather sheet season (if anyone could be bothered and lots of Enginemen didn't like the weather sheets anyway.).

• Informative/Useful 4

• RMweb Gold
13 minutes ago, The Stationmaster said:

There's nice - I wonder how long it is since I last spoke to John Cornelious - a very long time I think

I presume that is the same John Cornelious who I used to visit at Athelney signal box, when I went there for 'official visits' in the early 1980s?

• Like 1
  • Agree 1