Accurascale's First Steam Locomotive; GWR Collett 78xx Manor Class!

• RMweb Premium
18 minutes ago, Harlequin said:

If you don't enjoy 00 steam sounds as much as 0, I think that might mean that you haven't heard a good one yet!

That's quite true, I haven't. Round here many layouts are H0 Australian prototype and the steam sounds are, again in my personal opinion, a lot less convincing than the diesels.

• Informative/Useful 1
  • Friendly/supportive 1

15 hours ago, rprodgers said:

Did they say which chimney, there are different chimneys on some of them.

The earlier GW one or the later BR one, I am presuming they were comparing like for like?

If I recall correctly one of the GW ones is as preserved rather than having the GW chimney.

Did not specify as he/she was getting defensive about it. It was pointed out, by others too, that the chimneys were changed on re-draughting but it is a good point you make as to whether he/she was looking at the preserved one. No version was mentioned just a comparison with another make of Manor.

• Interesting/Thought-provoking 1

15 hours ago, Hal Nail said:

I'm hesitant to mention anything that will incur the wrath of the fan club but the copper cap is slightly smaller than the main body. They could mean that. Pic on this page shows it.

In the interests of balance, Dapols chimneys have an obvious join.

Would agree with that observation but it is a very small and from a viewing distance not noticeable on either, at least to me.

Edited by geoffers
spelling.
  • Like 1
  • Agree 1

12 hours ago, melmerby said:

Yes indeed, too long.

I've cut mine right back by changing the value of CV153 in Zimo decoders to 5 (half a second)

I found when using manual control, running very slowly over an incorrectly set point, that the DCC cutout operates immediately but the loco carries on through the point and ends up completely derailed before it stops.

Thank you for this tip. Doubt whether I will change the CV value as the great majority of derailments tend to be operator initiated but it is good to know.

• RMweb Premium
18 hours ago, Mallard60022 said:

My apologies. I had no idea about 3rd radius etc.  Is that a Set Track thing?

No need to apologise, yes they are setrack radii, back in the 70s when I started it used to be feet, the minimum 2nd radius that locos can go round is the old 18” from 1950s to the 80s.  Hence 30” is about 7th radius. I use flexi track with my own templates to work out what radi is now.  Back then I tried not to be less than 2ft which used to be the minimum to aim for, that's about 4.5 radius now.

Dave

Edited by IOW O2
more info
  • Agree 1
  • Informative/Useful 1

• RMweb Gold
5 minutes ago, SteamingWales said:

This may be a stupid question @McC @Accurascale Fran but how does one post a review on the website? Wanting to post glowing reviews for 7800 and 7812 that I purchased direct but can't figure out how!

About two weeks after you get your parcel, we send you a validated email request, this ensures that reviews are only left by 'real' customers.

If you are anxious to review early, just drop us a line through any of the support channels and we can send that email to you early :) 

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

• RMweb Premium
18 hours ago, rprodgers said:

Did they say which chimney, there are different chimneys on some of them.

The earlier GW one or the later BR one, I am presuming they were comparing like for like?

The Manors went through some blast pipe & other tests by BR to improve their steaming.

So the blast pipe & therefore the chimney, I assume, are different for the 1930s version and the 1950s version.

• Agree 4

• RMweb Premium
1 hour ago, McC said:

About two weeks after you get your parcel, we send you a validated email request, this ensures that reviews are only left by 'real' customers.

If you are anxious to review early, just drop us a line through any of the support channels and we can send that email to you early :) 

How do I review your products bough via other retailers?

• RMweb Gold
4 minutes ago, reddragon said:

How do I review your products bough via other retailers?

You can't I'm afraid, not on our website anyway (you also get 200 loyalty points for each review!)

2 hours ago, McC said:

43 minutes ago, McC said:

You can't I'm afraid, not on our website anyway (you also get 200 loyalty points for each review!)

Thanks. I shall check but pretty sure I that's been 2 weeks plus now.

I need all the loyalty points I can get to offset some of the cost from all the 16 tonners I have just ordered 😅

• Like 1
  • Friendly/supportive 2

• RMweb Premium
Just now, Lord Cooper said:

hi all , just had my manor delivered . but it sounds like a jet engine anything past 70 mph scale speed . is this a common thing or just mine ?

audio dosent do a good job of depicting it but you can hear it . its alot worse irl. And yes ive contacted accurascale of this issue.

Both of mine sound like a turbine at speed.

• RMweb Premium
On 24/08/2023 at 17:23, BroadLeaves said:

Slightly OT, but which retailer? Always nice to know which ones offer this (I know Derails do).....

Sorry, must have missed this reply, -Colletts- of Exmouth, no connection etc. etc.

• Like 1

22 minutes ago, Forester said:

Anyone seen a container containing 7810 Draycott Manors anywhere?

I checked over the fence where Hermes usually throw my parcels but it's not there.

Accurascale did say they are coming in two batches. I don't think the second batch has arrived yet, much less been sent out. That's based on the Accurascale web site. The Project Status for the Manor still says "in transit", which makes sense if some are still, in fact, in transit. Secondly, there are no reviews for Draycott, Hinton, Granville etc. That all ties up, as the "Would you like to review your Manor" email is sent a few days after the actual loco is sent, and someone would have left a review by now if they'd had one for more than a few days.

TL;DR: Don't worry until you see reviews for Draycott on the Accurascale web site. Until then, the most likely explanation is that they are still en route, somewhere between a factory in China and your front doormat.

• Agree 1

On 31/08/2023 at 11:12, Captain Kernow said:

Other reasons for not switching to DCC - 

- cost (all those chips and sound speakers - why go DCC if you don't go the whole hog?)

DCC without sound is worth the additional cost  if you don't feel sound is worth the extra, and it enables you to automate operation using layout control software

• Agree 2

21 hours ago, melmerby said:

Yes indeed, too long.

I've cut mine right back by changing the value of CV153 in Zimo decoders to 5 (half a second)

I found when using manual control, running very slowly over an incorrectly set point, that the DCC cutout operates immediately but the loco carries on through the point and ends up completely derailed before it stops.

The remedy for that isn't to muck about with CV settings.  It's to set your points correctly!😛

• Round of applause 1

• RMweb Gold
23 minutes ago, Michael Hodgson said:

DCC without sound is worth the additional cost  if you don't feel sound is worth the extra, and it enables you to automate operation using layout control software

Always supposing you want to automate operation. For some of us, replicating the working practices of the prototype is an aspect of the hobby that we especially enjoy. 

On "our" layout, we use Bluetooth wireless walkabout analog control though, so we're not complete Luddites. Most of the benefits of DCC with zero outlay on chips!

Computer control is great for those who just like watching trains go by, though.

John

Edited by Dunsignalling
  • Like 3