RevolutioN Trains Announce First Locomotive in OO Gauge the Class 93

sc2016

An awful mess of couplings, pipes and cables at the front, but I guess that is the price for a go anywhere do anything locomotive - ultimate mixed traffic design.

Question, can these locos traverse places with restricted route availability i.e. are they a class 37 killer?

• Thanks 1

15 minutes ago, woodenhead said:

Question, can these locos traverse places with restricted route availability i.e. are they a class 37 killer?

I'd suspect not; They're listed as 86 tonnes but with 4 axles, and the 37 is 100 tonnes on 6 axles so maybe RA6 rather than the 37's RA5.

• Thanks 2

• RMweb Gold

Hi all,

ROG's core business is moving stock around for other operators.  This is why the 93001 has the drop-down Dellner at each end.  However, with 10 ordered an an option on a further 20 it is inevitable that they will be used for other traffic. 

Any traction they replace depends of course on the operator using them, but they are 110mph machines with RA7 so they're not really a like-for-like for a 37.

I think there will be a role for 37s for some time to come.

cheers

Ben

• Like 1
  • Agree 2
  • Thanks 2
  • Informative/Useful 3

2 hours ago, Revolution Ben said:

ROG's core business is moving stock around for other operators.  This is why the 93001 has the drop-down Dellner at each end.  However, with 10 ordered an an option on a further 20 it is inevitable that they will be used for other traffic. 

Any traction they replace depends of course on the operator using them, but they are 110mph machines with RA7 so they're not really a like-for-like for a 37.

These almost look ready made for the Caledonian Sleeper service it must be said, should new traction be sought in the next few years though I think there might be a problem on the West Highland line with the RA... So maybe not on that route.

3 hours ago, frobisher said:

These almost look ready made for the Caledonian Sleeper service it must be said, should new traction be sought in the next few years though I think there might be a problem on the West Highland line with the RA... So maybe not on that route.

GBRF have just signed a new contract for the next 7 years and their press release hints at a future role for their class 99s.

• Informative/Useful 3

On 08/07/2023 at 16:07, frobisher said:

It is my understanding that the GBRF Class 99's will be used on. Caledonian Sleepers to replace the Class 92 and 73. 

Paul R

• Informative/Useful 4

• RMweb Gold
On 19/07/2023 at 21:12, ERIC ALLTORQUE said:

Are they still on to be named after Roman Gods,oh i do hope so,perhaps there will be a Bwian........

if were following Gods of empires..

88 Greek Gods,

93 Roman Gods

does that mean 99’s will be House of Lords…?

😄

• Funny 4

• RMweb Gold

According to Rail its a month today, since 93001 arrived.

https://www.railmagazine.com/news/network/2023/07/12/first-stadler-class-93-arrives-in-uk-from-spain

So far each new class since the 66’s has moved on its own power with a month of arrival, the 88’s were on revenue service by week 4.

I guess we cant be far off a first move…

• Like 1

6 hours ago, adb968008 said:

According to Rail its a month today, since 93001 arrived.

https://www.railmagazine.com/news/network/2023/07/12/first-stadler-class-93-arrives-in-uk-from-spain

So far each new class since the 66’s has moved on its own power with a month of arrival, the 88’s were on revenue service by week 4.

I guess we cant be far off a first move…

Or it has already happened by the looks of it, just saw this now

https://www.railwayherald.com/uknews/rog-class-93-moves-at-worksop

Edited by TomScrut
Improved link
  • Informative/Useful 1

• RMweb Gold
On 12/07/2023 at 02:39, BritishRail60062 said:

Despite these might look like a fire truck at the front ends. I have a feeling these will be for unit haulage work and the GBRF ones will likely work container intermodal trains. 

According to the article in Railway Herald, two will be used by ROG, with the other eight from the first batch going on lease to other operators.

On 14/07/2023 at 15:16, pwr said:

It is my understanding that the GBRF Class 99's will be used on. Caledonian Sleepers to replace the Class 92 and 73. 

Paul R

But will need to be a modified version, as the standard Class 99s won't have ETS .. interesting thought.

4 hours ago, TomScrut said:

Or it has already happened by the looks of it, just saw this now

https://www.railwayherald.com/uknews/rog-class-93-moves-at-worksop

Sounds very different from the video in the magazine, apparently staying at Worksop until mid-August, then overnight WCML testing from late August.

8 hours ago, MarshLane said:

Sounds very different from the video in the magazine, apparently staying at Worksop until mid-August, then overnight WCML testing from late August.

That's what it says on the link I put on too, but it must have moved by itself at Worksop on the 26th.

Unless this conversation is about mainline moves rather than in depot?

• RMweb Gold
On 28/07/2023 at 08:07, TomScrut said:

That's what it says on the link I put on too, but it must have moved by itself at Worksop on the 26th.

Unless this conversation is about mainline moves rather than in depot?

Sorry I mean the engine sounds very different! Sorry.

Yes it definitely moved under its own power from the video they have in the magazine.  The mainline moves are late August.

• Like 1

On 14/07/2023 at 15:16, pwr said:

On 27/07/2023 at 23:44, MarshLane said:

But will need to be a modified version, as the standard Class 99s won't have ETS .. interesting thought.

The July 12 -25 issue of Rail Magazine has an interview with Bob Tiller GBRf Engineering Director who saw the Eurodual at Innotrans in 2018.

He says the Class 99s will be 75mph max and will not be used on the Sleeper Trains but an ETH version with a higher speed is a possibility.

• Interesting/Thought-provoking 1

• RMweb Gold
On 27/07/2023 at 23:44, MarshLane said:

According to the article in Railway Herald, two will be used by ROG, with the other eight from the first batch going on lease to other operators.

Possibility of multiple liveries from day 1 ?

😃

• Agree 2

On 02/08/2023 at 17:43, Peter749 said:

The July 12 -25 issue of Rail Magazine has an interview with Bob Tiller GBRf Engineering Director who saw the Eurodual at Innotrans in 2018.

He says the Class 99s will be 75mph max and will not be used on the Sleeper Trains but an ETH version with a higher speed is a possibility.

Hm. Observing the maximum speeds of the 88 and 99, I wondered if more 88s might be produced for general passenger service. If a subclass of the 99 is produced along the lines suggested, it might knock that idea on the head. Interesting times!

• Agree 1

• RMweb Gold

I’m not sure if Stadler will offer any more 88s to be honest. IIRC their order book is pretty full for a while and I suspect that they might prefer to offer 93s or perhaps variations of 93 ie the standard Eurodual Stadler bodyshell. 

cheers Mike

• Like 1
  • Agree 1
  • Interesting/Thought-provoking 1

1 hour ago, Revolution Mike said:

I’m not sure if Stadler will offer any more 88s to be honest. IIRC their order book is pretty full for a while and I suspect that they might prefer to offer 93s or perhaps variations of 93 ie the standard Eurodual Stadler bodyshell. 

cheers Mike

I aren't sure why anyone (other than DRS perhaps) would want 88s when there's improved figures in the 93.

Especially given the 88 won't be a lot of use for a passenger service on its engine (and so why have it at all).

• Agree 1