Sutton's Locomotive Works *NEW* Class 25

Nick G

17 hours ago, Garry D100 said:

No I rang them because i had cancelled mine about 18 months ago and was asking if i could be put back on a reserve list.

As it turned out to my delight it hadnt been cancelled. She wasnt going to take payment when i spoke to her , i asked if i could so its out of the way.

It wasnt requested by Jennie so dont worry :-)

Thank you, clears that up nicely. 

Thanks

Paul

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...

I also phoned this morning to update my credit card and was given the same info as above. I have 25324 on order.

Also, took the opportunity to pre-order 25244, of which I took this rather poor quality photo at Eastfield.

25244 at Eastfield v2.0.jpg

• Like 9

21 minutes ago, Alcanman said:

I also phoned this morning to update my credit card and was given the same info as above. I have 25324 on order.

Also, took the opportunity to pre-order 25244, of which I took this rather poor quality photo at Eastfield.

25244??? I'd not seen that one announced - is that a new one?

5 hours ago, Alcanman said:

Look what's lurking in the background - a withdrawn 27043. Am I correct in thinking the bodyshell of this loco still exists..........underground?!

• Like 1

I very much doubt the loco exists as the empty shell would have been crushed flat by the bulldozers and front end loaders in the tip before being buried in other waste and soils. IIRC the cab roof is fibreglass so very easily damaged / smashed 

the tip wouldn’t want an air void underground

BR or scrap man would have taken the PU, bogies and anything heavy & removable.

• Like 1

• RMweb Gold
9 hours ago, zr2498 said:

Were you requested to update your credit card number? I have not heard anything from SLW.

I did the same because I'd seen a comment about a January delivery and I had a new card last month due to a loss and replacement of all my cards with new numbers etc.

SLW are a small outfit and I thought that it was easier for me to tell them now than wait to be contacted when they tried to take payment from an old card.

A few people appear to have done the same following posts here and elsewhere according to my brief chat with Phil Sutton.

Chris H

• Like 1
  • Agree 2
  • Thanks 1

11 hours ago, zr2498 said:

Were you requested to update your credit card number? I have not heard anything from SLW.

No, not prompted, but I knew they were imminent and that my card had changed expiry date, so thought best to update. Jenny was grateful as it saves them trying to make contact.

• Like 1
  • Agree 2

The Email read:

Seasonal Greetings from SLW

SUTTON’S LOCOMOTIVE WORKSHOP would like to send our best Christmas and New Year wishes to all our customers, friends and associates. Thanks for ‘riding in the cab’ with us over the past 12 months, which have been both exciting and a little frustrating. The customer event at Bentley, Crewe, clearly ranks as the highlight. Fortunately, production in the Far East is moving from ‘caution’ to ‘green’ and with the first two of our Class 25s now in the warehouse, it looks like we may have put some of the delays behind us. Next year is going to be extremely busy!

Winter model scene with thanks to Brian McCulloch at Braeside Models.

Class 25 delivery will begin shortly

We are happy to report that new Class 25/3 models Nos. D7599 in Green and BR Blue 25324 (both fully allocated) are now in our possession. After some basic checks have been made, packing and despatch will begin in earnest during January. This will not be an instant process since we are a small team... The other models in this series will follow in succession, so please be patient. 

Because supporting the people that backed us from the start is the right thing to do, we are honouring the original price quoted at the time of ordering. Please do not telephone with questions at this stage since this will just introduce further delay to the despatch process. We will contact you in the event of any issues with your order.

Thanks for taking an interest

We’d like to extend our thanks to those who took the time and trouble to visit us at the ‘SLW Sulzer Symposium’ event at Crewe back in October. The feedback was overwhelming and entirely positive. It appears everyone had a fantastic time looking at our range of models - including additional locos to come next year - as well as making the most of the relaxed environment in front (and behind!) the layouts on display. With many new orders placed, we have it marked as an outstanding success despite our initial worries over a rail strike.

Busy scenes at Bentley Motors Conference Centre in Crewe, where the ‘SLW Sulzer Symposium’ event was held. Visitors were able to see progress on all our projects at close hand and view three high quality finescale layouts all running SLW locomotives.

It was also nice to catch up with many friends at Spalding exhibition in November where Philip was present as part of the Barrowmore Model Railway Group entourage. The large Mostyn layout - newly populated with a large number of pre-production SLW Class 25s which performed faultlessly throughout the show - walked off with all three awards! Next year, SLW will be at York Easter Show (March/April) and will also be involved with both Railex Aylesbury (May) and Perth (June). Put them in your diary! 

A green ‘out of the box’ SLW Class 25/2 was loaned to John Chivers and his team for a run out on their Shwt layout at the recent Uckfield Show. We think this image deserves a wider audience, with D7552 still available to order.

Christmas and New Year opening hours

The SLW office will be closed from 12.00 on Friday 22nd December and re-open on the morning of Tuesday 2nd January. You can continue to place orders on the RAIL EXCLUSIVE webshop and send e-mails and but these will obviously not be acknowledged until our return, and there may be a backlog of correspondence to work through when we do. 

Please note that we will be engaged in model despatch throughout the first part of the New Year so e-mail correspondence is preferred. SLW now has a four-day working a week (closed Mondays).

Wishing you a relaxing Christmas and the very best for the New Year.

Philip & Jennie

Edited by tinsley-toton
  • Like 4
  • Thanks 2
  • Friendly/supportive 1

2 hours ago, Paul_sterling said:

I didn't get that newsletter, but regardless its good news that the delivery is near. 

I didn’t think I’d had one either but I checked Junk and it was in there rather bizzarly. Have a look there.

have finally succumbed to this 'un - the layout technically set in 1974-76 so TOPS Green locos are welcome. Bachmann did it originally but ruined it by factory weathering it very poorly (It was the brown on the ends - locos just didn't end up that way)

https://railexclusive.com/product/class-25-1-br-green-yellow-ends-tops/

Edited by Southernman46

43 minutes ago, Southernman46 said:

have finally succumbed to this 'un - the layout technically set in 1974-76 so TOPS Green locos are welcome. Bachmann did it originally but ruined it by factory weathering it very poorly.

https://railexclusive.com/product/class-25-1-br-green-yellow-ends-tops/

I quite liked the weathering on that Bachmann version - the big problem for me with the old Bachmann model is that hideous beam below the body where there should be daylight....

• RMweb Gold
13 hours ago, andyman7 said:

I quite liked the weathering on that Bachmann version - the big problem for me with the old Bachmann model is that hideous beam below the body where there should be daylight....

It was the curve on the cabs being too shallow that put me off the old Bachmann 25. I did get one and after squinting at it for a while, gave it Hornby cabs. I painted it up in Ice Cream Van livery as Tamworth Castle, but it’s a bit rough close up so it will be stripped and resprayed Banger Blue when its replacement arrives from SLW.DSCF0314.jpg.a6ad7c92aef6c694b47e75aa2ff39019.jpg

• Like 7

On 22/12/2023 at 13:59, 97406 said:

It was the curve on the cabs being too shallow that put me off the old Bachmann 25. I did get one and after squinting at it for a while, gave it Hornby cabs. I painted it up in Ice Cream Van livery as Tamworth Castle, but it’s a bit rough close up so it will be stripped and resprayed Banger Blue when its replacement arrives from SLW.DSCF0314.jpg.a6ad7c92aef6c694b47e75aa2ff39019.jpg

I was unable to convince myself to buy a Heljan 25,  because of the cab shape. I admit I've never seen the Heljan one in the flesh, but the pics put me right off. Once SLW announced theirs, and the shape looked just right in the pics, I was happy to order from SLW. 

Thanks

Paul. 

• Agree 6