Sutton's Locomotive Works *NEW* Class 25

Nick G

2 hours ago, Brian Hawkins said:

Well, no doubt we all know who the winner is going to be already.

For a model that from rhe first pics to right out the box, looks absolutely just right, I think the SLW 25 takes some beating. I think the others are great, and I'm very impressed by accurascale for the locos I've had from them, so it'll be close, but I'm in love with the cl25. I may be biased, as the cl25 has always been my favourite diesel, but a a series of illuminated dials on the drivers control panel is a glorious little feature. 

Actually I'd say that SLW, Accurascale, Cavalex, etc, have all given a rude bump to the big two/three on what can be achieved in a OO scale diesel locomotive, and at a (very) reasonable price. Bachmanns 37 wasn't long before it was discounted, as it couldn't match the acc 37 for value. 

Thanks

Paul. 

• Like 2
  • Agree 4

• RMweb Premium
12 minutes ago, Paul_sterling said:

Bachmann[']s 37 wasn't long before it was discounted, as it couldn't match the acc 37 for value. 

Some of us want more than value; we want acc... acc.. accura - cough - accuracy. 

• Funny 1

• RMweb Gold
4 minutes ago, zr2498 said:

I am reluctant to make contact as they are busy, however.

I agree - every phone call or email is another shipment delayed in my book...I'm having issues with my log in but I don't think I need it sorted until batch one has shipped so I'll just wait.

and yes I'm waiting for my 25 too...

Chris H

• Like 5

29 minutes ago, zr2498 said:

I am reluctant to make contact as they are busy, however.

Yeah I've been reluctant to bother them for ages too and I was determined to just let them get on with packing, I've been telling people that I won't ring to update my card details yet, so when I found you could do it online I jumped at the chance, but when I saw the main two locos missing I panicked a little and broke my own ruling

• Like 1

• RMweb Gold
41 minutes ago, Paul_sterling said:

For a model that from rhe first pics to right out the box, looks absolutely just right, I think the SLW 25 takes some beating. I think the others are great, and I'm very impressed by accurascale for the locos I've had from them, so it'll be close, but I'm in love with the cl25. I may be biased, as the cl25 has always been my favourite diesel, but a a series of illuminated dials on the drivers control panel is a glorious little feature. 

Actually I'd say that SLW, Accurascale, Cavalex, etc, have all given a rude bump to the big two/three on what can be achieved in a OO scale diesel locomotive, and at a (very) reasonable price. Bachmanns 37 wasn't long before it was discounted, as it couldn't match the acc 37 for value. 

Thanks

Paul. 

Price would be an interesting thing to factor into 'Model of the year'. Agree the Bachmann 37 at full rtr was expensive compared to Accurascale. But once discounted it became extremely good value - the SFX versions within £20 of the Accurascale versions and you get a spinning fan! .Bachmann are of course locked into their parent company for price  - the EFE range seems a way out of that but lower pricing on the SR electric has brought with it more questionable quality it would seem.

• Like 1

5 hours ago, Daddyman said:

Some of us want more than value; we want acc... acc.. accura - cough - accuracy. 

Definitely, but can anyone really argue that those manufacturers I mentioned, are offering anything but that. 

• RMweb Gold
2 minutes ago, Paul_sterling said:

Definitely, but can anyone really argue that those manufacturers I mentioned, are offering anything but that. 

I know I'm going to cop some flak here.....but when I'm exhibiting fidelity can come second to reliablity and simplicity....and I own and use locos from both B & A....

• Like 5
  • Agree 4

• RMweb Gold
1 minute ago, Gilbert said:

I know I'm going to cop some flak here.....but when I'm exhibiting fidelity can come second to reliablity and simplicity....and I own and use locos from both B & A....

But my "go to" is my SLW 24.........just saying....

• Like 2

On 16/01/2024 at 12:10, aureol40012 said:

I emailed Jennie in the office some time ago and since then there has been quite a bit posted on here by buyers.

Jennie responded today, which I feel bad about knowing how busy they are, but hopefully by copying this below, it’ll stop unnecessary similar emails slowing them down!

”We’re not yet in a position to despatch the locos that have arrived (despite rumours!) but do hope to get started on these soon once all the necessary checks are complete.  I can see that you have made payment for your first pre-order with us and that yours is one of the oldest orders so you will be amongst the first in the queue.

There are just a few of us here in the workshop and lots of customer orders to work through but we’re excited to be so close to making a start on them now.  We plan to despatch the models using Royal Mail’s Tracked 48 service and will be entering customers’ email addresses alongside their physical ones so you will first receive notification that Royal Mail have your parcel and then be able to track it/make arrangements for redelivery if this is necessary so hopefully that will work nicely for you.”

Just reposting my post from last week as there still seem to be lots of people determined to slow down delivery of these locos by calling/emailing about their order because of some reason that means their situation is “unique”…….  

Stop bothering them about locos (24/1s) which aren’t even due for a loooooooong time.

• Like 2
  • Round of applause 1

7 hours ago, aureol40012 said:

Just reposting my post from last week as there still seem to be lots of people determined to slow down delivery of these locos by calling/emailing about their order because of some reason that means their situation is “unique”…….  

Stop bothering them about locos (24/1s) which aren’t even due for a loooooooong time.

Yes dad 🙄

As that is obviously aimed at me

If there are models I have reserved not showing on my list, I have the right to find out what is happening, I could sit here patiently like I have been doing and then the next batch arrives so they are busy again and the longer I leave it the more of a chance of missing out because I didn't advise them soon enough. They are actually getting the models out to people now so things are better than when you bothered them yourself during packing.

It doesn't matter that the 24/1s are further away! I ordered them way before the 25 was even announced and seeing them missing is concerning especially as its the 24/1s that are more important to me personally than any of the 25s I have ordered. Better to get it sorted now than wait and it be too late.

I'm due in hospital for an operation to remove cancer and part of my kidney from my only remaining kidney in a matter of days and I'm stressed as hell, and I want to sort stuff out as soon as possible while I'm able because I don't know how long I'll be out of action. And I want it sorted while I'm thinking more straight.

I've been very honest with people why I was refusing to change my card details yet, as my locos weren't in the first batch so there was no rush because they were very busy. Even though they were ringing them themselves I didn't want to bother them myself, but when something comes up that starts to concern me like items missing, I'm going to contact them (by email so they can select a time when to read emails, not like phoning) the last thing I need is to be singled out and chastised for doing so by someone who contacted them himself at their busiest!

BTW I have a friend who contacted them two days ago to change card details  and the very same day his model was posted out, so I'm guessing they are catching up with packing and posting

Just because you feel guilty for contacting them and starting a snowball effect of others contacting them, it doesn't put you in a position to tell others off for contacting them about a different subject 

• Like 1
  • Agree 1
  • Friendly/supportive 10

17 hours ago, Gilbert said:

I dont think you'll cop flak for that. It's a perfectly reasoned approach, sturdy runner every time. We live in such impressive times model wise that the models can be fantastically finished, and credible runners too. 

I was a bairn at the time, but my first loco to arrive that was a truly consistent, smooth runner, was probably Canadian Pacific in Christmas 2000. Before that, a combination of no flywheel and steel track meant that a highlight for me, was getting a lap of the layout without the loco stopping! Smokey Joe could do it by virtue of, shall we say 'momentum'. 

Thanks

Paul. 

• Like 2

• RMweb Gold
1 hour ago, Roy Langridge said:

Just to add, no login option shows in Safari on my phone, but does using Edge on my desktop. 

Roy

Never noticed before but yes, no log-in option on my phone either. Guess I’ve always used a computer or tablet in the past!

Got my 25324 today and what a thing of beauty.

Not a technical saying but she looks right.

They've even got the bogies right, both re different in real life and I didn't they would do that.

Well done SLW

Edited by 25901
  • Like 1

From photos I've seen on here and photos of my friends which he received today, it is my model of the year (so far) the Cavalex 56's I have are great but the 25 like the previous 24 just hits the right spot.

• Like 2

10 hours ago, 37081LochLong said:

Yes dad 🙄

As that is obviously aimed at me

If there are models I have reserved not showing on my list, I have the right to find out what is happening, I could sit here patiently like I have been doing and then the next batch arrives so they are busy again and the longer I leave it the more of a chance of missing out because I didn't advise them soon enough. They are actually getting the models out to people now so things are better than when you bothered them yourself during packing.

It doesn't matter that the 24/1s are further away! I ordered them way before the 25 was even announced and seeing them missing is concerning especially as its the 24/1s that are more important to me personally than any of the 25s I have ordered. Better to get it sorted now than wait and it be too late.

I'm due in hospital for an operation to remove cancer and part of my kidney from my only remaining kidney in a matter of days and I'm stressed as hell, and I want to sort stuff out as soon as possible while I'm able because I don't know how long I'll be out of action. And I want it sorted while I'm thinking more straight.

I've been very honest with people why I was refusing to change my card details yet, as my locos weren't in the first batch so there was no rush because they were very busy. Even though they were ringing them themselves I didn't want to bother them myself, but when something comes up that starts to concern me like items missing, I'm going to contact them (by email so they can select a time when to read emails, not like phoning) the last thing I need is to be singled out and chastised for doing so by someone who contacted them himself at their busiest!

BTW I have a friend who contacted them two days ago to change card details  and the very same day his model was posted out, so I'm guessing they are catching up with packing and posting

Just because you feel guilty for contacting them and starting a snowball effect of others contacting them, it doesn't put you in a position to tell others off for contacting them about a different subject 

I’m sorry, I didn’t read all that, the sheer length and opening tone ensured that.  People who think they’ve got a lot to say usually have very little, I find.

You are partly right, I felt guilty about having contacted them before xmas (even before the current levels of hysteria), but in what universe does posting their very clear and detailed update START a snowball effect.  The whole point of posting it was to help people not make unnecessary contact!

However, I apologise thoroughly if the effect of my post on your good self was the complete opposite of that…….

• Friendly/supportive 4

30 minutes ago, aureol40012 said:

I’m sorry, I didn’t read all that, the sheer length and opening tone ensured that.  People who think they’ve got a lot to say usually have very little, I find.

Since you openly state you didn't read it all tells me all I need to know about you so I've given you the same curtesy 

Good day

• RMweb Gold

It is a difficult one, if a call/email leads to all my orders being available in my account, I can make sure my card details are up to date for all my orders. I know that the card I used for at least five locos is out of date. 

That would save SLW trouble of contacting me for all those orders, but troubles them once.

I also regularly work places where I am not allowed any Personal Electronic Decices, so no phone, email etc. Therefore, again, disturbing them once again saves them possibly trying to contact me multiple times. 

So what is best? As I said at the beginning, it is difficult to know. 

Roy

• Like 2
  • Friendly/supportive 2