RMweb

Covid - coming out of Lockdown 3 - no politics, less opinion and more facts and information.

AY Mod

52 minutes ago, Nearholmer said:

I’d like to swot-up on that, can anyone read the name on the radiator?

I suspect that it started like as a PE, which was still semi-common at that time for heavy vehicles because gearboxes struggled to cope with the load, but I may be wrong.

Sorry for starting something that is now running out of control.

Going back to my original HD image the name is Bergmann.

Bernard

• Thanks 1
  • Informative/Useful 1

2 hours ago, boxbrownie said:

What can I say?

Ask them to put it in there, it should be there so you know what to order for the repeats.

Not only that, but should you find yourself being admitted to hospital, it is very useful to have a list of your current medication with you.

• Agree 4

• RMweb Premium
1 hour ago, Oldddudders said:

Being anti-vax is one thing, but this is another entirely.

https://www.bbc.com/news/world-europe-57358492

It’s like something out of a cheap Hollywood film, unbelievable......I cannot believe people think the virologists and epidemiologists are doing anything but helping, there are some very crazy dangerous people on the loose.

• Agree 7

• RMweb Gold
2 hours ago, Hobby said:

I'd be more worried about the 50,000 that support him!

The ill-guided mob is a feature of our time, further enhanced by the social media of the Internet, but it predates that, too.

ISTR in the wake of the Soham murders, when child abuse [I am not allowed to use the proper term, apparently!] was seen as the new scourge of society - it had always existed, of course - an angry mob of tabloid readers surrounded a house because it bore a brass plate saying the occupant was a registered paediatrician.

Edited by Oldddudders
  • Like 1
  • Agree 1

Been for a walk from the NT's White Cliffs centre along to South Foreland Lighthouse and back. All very nice and quite a lot people enjoying the clifftop walk. What did surprise me was the number of apparently foreign visitors, heard a lot of French plus Spanish being spoken  so assume they must be going because if they've just arrived something isn't working.

Stu

• RMweb Premium
4 hours ago, Hobby said:

I'd be more worried about the 50,000 that support him!

Agreed; the lone nutter with a gun is troubling enough but that he's supported by 50,000 others really shows that there's something wrong with society. It's as if they can't disentangle their preferences from the means of achieving/expressing them. There are echoes of Trump-ism in the way that the aim has become more important than the means.

• Agree 1

• RMweb Premium
10 hours ago, boxbrownie said:

What can I say?

Ask them to put it in there, it should be there so you know what to order for the repeats.

Hi

They do the reordering so that might be why.

Cheers

Paul

21 hours ago, Fat Controller said:

Not only that, but should you find yourself being admitted to hospital, it is very useful to have a list of your current medication with you.

If you get the NHS app (the ordinary one, not track and trace), it includes a list of all your current medications as well as proof of vaccination status (which you can download as a pdf).

Paul

Edit: Just realised I missed the posts a couple of pages back where the app was discussed. Apologies. But, related, I didn't now my NHS number either and the system managed perfectly well with postcode, DoB, etc. 

Edited by Fenman

There's a post from Australia further up this thread, on the same sort of topic.

Could the lack of colds, sore throats, flu, even, be as much to do with not mixing with numbers of other people in fairly close confines?

Colds, sore throats, etc are all types of infection passed from one person to another....either directly or indirectly.

If one is not mixing with the same numbers of other folk [for a change?] then one is less likely to pick up these problems?

A side effect of the covid-19 procedures?

AS it is, i think we will see a splurge of colds, sore throats, etc amongst elements of the population as restrictions are eased, and greater mixing is seen as desirable ? [By some?]

Another indirect 'benefit' of being less sociable is perhaps, less stress?   

Many are seeing the benefits of an improved lifestyle brought about by not feeling something is wrong if we don't 'mix' in vast numbers?

{Evidenced by the sheer numbers of folk moving out to more isolated parts of the country, eg Wales?}

A lot of the infections that pass around [sore throats, etc] are as much created by 'stress' as  by anything else.

'Stress' makes our weak spots even more susceptible .  

My [old] GP once gave me a month off work, for a 'sore throat'.  [Being off sick didn't affect my income..he would have treated it differently had that been the case] 

Since it was a repetitive issue [I worked with a lot of people, mostly in a confined space]...he considered the problem to be work-stress related as much as for any other reason ...my throat being my weakest link in my defences.  Colds I didn't get so much, or flu.

Anyway, a month away from the workplace worked wonders......as a result of 'de-stressing', I subsequently was less prone to 'sore throats'. [Nice to be off work 'sick', without actually feeling 'sick?'}

• Like 1

Certainly after the second jab, for several years I suffered from a 24 hour (or so) cold virus, certainly had no bouts since the second jab, and this year my hayfever has not kicked in, I put this down to be out and about on the allotment. Or could be down to a cold and damp spring

• Agree 1

5 hours ago, Fenman said:

If you get the NHS app (the ordinary one, not track and trace), it includes a list of all your current medications as well as proof of vaccination status (which you can download as a pdf).

Paul

Edit: Just realised I missed the posts a couple of pages back where the app was discussed. Apologies. But, related, I didn't now my NHS number either and the system managed perfectly well with postcode, DoB, etc. 

I doubt that the NHS App works outside of the UK. In my case, I had been admitted to Calais Hospital, following atrial fibrillation at work.

1 hour ago, PenrithBeacon said:

I'm very susceptible to the common cold cold and sore throats, but I haven't had either since my first jab in February. Has anyone else had a similar experience?

I don't think I've had time off with a proper cold since I got a smartphone. The reasoning being when I was on a break at work, I used to sit in the canteen eating my sandwiches and reading one of the newspapers that was knocking about, as did everyone else.

So not catching a cold might be due to this as I'm more likely to be replying to messages on internet forums and looking at cat videos, and not reading poor quality printed media. 

• Funny 1

14 hours ago, Mark Saunders said:

If only they were only allowed the same guns that fought the War of Independence, when it was written and signed !

Unlike warfare conducted by modern states, violence instigated by individuals, does not necessarily diminish its impact if the participants are only using weaponry that was current in previous epochs. The present violent outbreak of youth upon youth knife crime in the UK, would likely not be diminished in its intensity, even if the participants were reduced to only using Stone Age cutting edge weapons.

37 minutes ago, rocor said:

Unlike warfare conducted by modern states, violence instigated by individuals, does not necessarily diminish its impact if the participants are only using weaponry that was current in previous epochs. The present violent outbreak of youth upon youth knife crime in the UK, would likely not be diminished in its intensity, even if the participants were reduced to only using Stone Age cutting edge weapons.

I think you have missed the point , assault weapon ban deemed unconstitutional! Given the tendency for mass shootings in the e USA.

20 minutes ago, Mark Saunders said:

I think you have missed the point , assault weapon ban deemed unconstitutional! Given the tendency for mass shootings in the e USA.

I had no intention of getting involved in matters pertaining to either the American constitution or their laws involving firearms. The point that I was making, was the carnage that an individual can inflict upon others regardless of the laws that a particular country has in force.