The non-railway and non-modelling social zone. Please ensure forum rules are adhered to in this area too!

Covid - coming out of Lockdown 3 - no politics, less opinion and more facts and information.

AY Mod

On 24/11/2021 at 16:46, Nearholmer said:

If it’s burning at 1000/100k.week in a particular age group, it would take two years at that rate for everyone in that group to catch it ……. Put another way, I think it can burn fast for months before simmering down, and if acquired immunity decays significantly within that period, it could go on simmering for a very long time.

Thats what I meant on a previous posting when I talked about a simmering endemic.

I don’t think it implies that a person catching it a second time around is in for a really bad time, they should be able to fight it off without it being too bad, but catch it they possibly could.

Yes, although it is likely that Covid can be caught again and again, over time the immune system is primed to respond better, even if it is a symptomatic infection. The vaccines effectively fast-track this priming. Pandemic are caused by novel pathogens and wreak havoc because there is no inbuilt or acquired immunity. 

9 hours ago, Andy Kirkham said:

Eek! Scary!

In some respects it's also positive, firstly that they've identified it so quickly and secondly because they'll be using the data to modify the vaccines to cope with it!

• Agree 5

• RMweb Gold
7 minutes ago, Hobby said:

In some respects it's also positive, firstly that they've identified it so quickly and secondly because they'll be using the data to modify the vaccines to cope with it!

Exactly - it was inevitable this would happen, it's how it's dealt with that matters

• Like 2

• RMweb Premium
11 minutes ago, Hobby said:

1 minute ago, beast66606 said:

Exactly - it was inevitable this would happen, it's how it's dealt with that matters

Modifying a vaccine still takes time; you need to arrange trials, organise manufacturing, distribution and deployment. Meanwhile the new variant will soon be at our gates, and whatever security measures are taken, I don't think countries can exclude it forever, especially a country containing a global transport hub like Heathrow.

Ultimately I'm placing my hopes on the "Second Generation" vaccines now in development, many of which are designed to protect against a wide range of variants. However they're not available yet and meanwhile, with even scientists talking of a "worst ever" variant with "horrific" mutations, I fear we'll be back to lockdown before long. 

Sorry to be so pessimistic.

• Agree 4
  • Interesting/Thought-provoking 1

Glass half empty vs glass half full yet again...

To counter what you said, Andy, the development to counter the Delta variant was done pretty quickly and I see nothing that would change that for any new variant unless you have specific inside info to counter that? Thing is, they now know what they are dealing with, and have the information they need to get working quickly, and they also have the basics all up and running, it's very different to the early days when it was all new to the scientists involved.

• Moderators
25 minutes ago, Hobby said:

the development to counter the Delta variant was done pretty quickly

I don't recall reading about any changes to the existing vaccines for the Delta variant; it just seems that they were slightly less effective against it but worth continuing.

This new one obviously means that changes or adaptation need to be made; that takes time. One can only hope that when it does appear here that everyone can take it seriously and exercise caution and take precautions; I fear that will be very difficult given societal changes that have taken place since July.

• Agree 8

• Moderators
21 minutes ago, Andy Hayter said:

we just don't know whether changes in the vaccine will be necessary.

That's true but I was thinking of different approaches too such as anti-viral oral or nasal treatments posited.

• RMweb Gold

It's interesting that the UK government have said there will be travel restrictions and quarantine for these areas very quickly. I do wonder why they can react quickly this time but failed to do so on previous occasions. Was it a case of missing opportunities before, or trying to keep routes open for economic reasons? 

• Agree 5

• RMweb Gold

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/live/world-59426277

11:07

Emergency WHO meeting gets under way

Meanwhile, away from the UK, the World Health Organization (WHO) is holding a special meeting to consider the significance of the rapidly spreading new coronavirus variant in South Africa.

Experts in Geneva will decide whether it should be designated a variant of concern.

The WHO says it will issue new guidance after the talks, but has warned that it will take weeks to establish how transmissible the variant is - and whether vaccines remain effective against it.

As the meeting gets under way, a WHO spokesman says the organisation is currently cautioning against imposing travel restrictions and advised governments to apply "a risk-based and scientific" approach.

My bold etc.

It's not like the virus is spread by travel, my mind boggles, err on the safe side and then wind back if not necessary surely ?

• Agree 6

6 minutes ago, Ramblin Rich said:

It's interesting that the UK government have said there will be travel restrictions and quarantine for these areas very quickly. I do wonder why they can react quickly this time but failed to do so on previous occasions. Was it a case of missing opportunities before, or trying to keep routes open for economic reasons? 

Hmmm

My wife also asks, why is it not immediate, why is it always some many days into the future at some god awful time in the morning.  Who are they leaving a window for?

• Agree 1

• RMweb Premium
2 minutes ago, woodenhead said:

Hmmm

My wife also asks, why is it not immediate, why is it always some many days into the future at some god awful time in the morning.  Who are they leaving a window for?

Immediate is very impractical.

2 minutes ago, Reorte said:

Immediate is very impractical.

Maybe, but so is a allowing in another potentially highly infectious virus when we've just about gotten on top of the current variant.

All it ever does is create a panic of people returning from the place where the infectious virus is circulating, and there cannot be that many people travelling to Africa at the moment that it is so impractical to put restrictions in place quickly.

• RMweb Gold
17 hours ago, adb968008 said:

I’m just recovering from Covid.

Thankyou for an excellent witness statement. Such factual but personalised experiences add a great deal more to our understanding than some of the politically-motivated theorising that bedevils this thread. May your recovery, and that of your loved-ones, be swift and complete.

• Agree 3
  • Thanks 1

• RMweb Gold

https://www.nicd.ac.za/latest-confirmed-cases-of-covid-19-in-south-africa-25-november-2021/

look at how Gauteng stands out from the rest of South Africa… 1950 cases yesterday, next highest province was 132 cases.

Gauteng - Johannesburg/Pretoria area (high international travel area).

but I want to cross compare this statement also from NICD yesterday..

https://www.nicd.ac.za/frequently-asked-questions-for-the-b-1-1-529-mutated-sars-cov-2-lineage-in-south-africa/

whats worrying is this…

B.1.1.529 has been detected in Gauteng at relatively high frequency, with >70% of genomes sequenced (n =71) from specimens collected between 14-23 November 2021 belonging to this lineage. 

this dashboard below shows the spread of cases, there is a huge one day jump in cases on the 24th , which suggests a reaction towards surge testing (hopefully) rather than a sudden trend upwards

https://gis.nicd.ac.za/portal/apps/opsdashboard/index.html#/15eb33988f104b73867606c1248578ff

I guess those results will show in the next few days if its really widespread, or if its just a variant within all the others.

and encouragingly, existing PCR tests still capture it..

However, most other targets (including the N and RdRp genes) remain unaffected from specimens tested in over 100 specimens from testing laboratories in Gauteng so it is unlikely that overall PCR test sensitivity is affected. These PCR tests typically detect at least two different SARS-CoV-2 targets, which serves as a backup in the case of a mutation arising in one.

But the key word here is “over 100 specimens”… so its way beyond the 59 cases reported, but thats before the 24ths sudden wake up call on testing.

on transmissability, well it looks like a Canadian traveller in quarantine in the room opposite the South African guy has just become the 2nd case in Hong Kong.

https://www.bloomberg.com/news/articles/2021-11-26/hong-kong-finds-two-cases-of-new-covid-variant-in-travelers

South Africa just doesnt have the same levels of resources to throw at it, and its strange to see a small rise from 20-90 cases a day in Gauteng to overnight jump to over 1000.. I cant help but wonder if, it hadnt been for the Hong Kong Traveller being detected, if this would have sparked a response globally at all, but it suggests it has been circulating for at least a couple of weeks, maybe a month or more undetected in South Africa…

if the test results over the next few days shows a high % of new variant cases, then sadly chances are it could already be here and transmissibility would be confirmed.

The paralells of timescale of Wuhan and its small cluster of flu in November 2019 comes to mind.

My quarantine ends tomorrow, Maybe I should celebrate by staying in ?

Edited by adb968008
  • Agree 2

• RMweb Gold

Travel should be shut down for anybody not already in the air when the ban is announced, IMHO, with formal quarantining upon arrival for those who are.

That, however, means maintaining quarantine hotels/barracks in a perpetual state of readiness, which I doubt HMG would be willing to finance.

John

• Agree 2

• RMweb Gold
18 hours ago, AY Mod said:

Interestingly the 'top' states are all from the former GDR, implying something about attitudes. It takes generations to fully integrate, it seems. 

• Agree 2

• RMweb Gold
48 minutes ago, Oldddudders said:

Interestingly the 'top' states are all from the former GDR, implying something about attitudes. It takes generations to fully integrate, it seems. 

Or maybe that distrust of any government becomes deeply ingrained by decades of tyranny....

The wall wasn't just physical.

John

Edited by Dunsignalling
  • Agree 4