Chuffnell Regis

Graham T

• RMweb Gold

I don't have a move date yet unfortunately, but I'll keep you posted 🙂

If I was still in my old job I could have thrown everything in the back of one of these...

image.png.24de467e1d817a814b46771a88943ea5.png

... but then we would probably end up down-bird somewhere between Vienna and the English Channel!

• Like 6
  • Interesting/Thought-provoking 1

• RMweb Gold
7 minutes ago, Graham T said:

I don't have a move date yet unfortunately, but I'll keep you posted 🙂

If I was still in my old job I could have thrown everything in the back of one of these...

image.png.24de467e1d817a814b46771a88943ea5.png

... but then we would probably end up down-bird somewhere between Vienna and the English Channel!

A useful bit of kit the Sea King and my mate Andrew used to play with them too.  What fun, despite the cold and turbulence. We flew in an antique version for transits between Newquay to Tresco one glorious February 20 years ago. 

Good luck with the move. Any idea when yet?

• Like 3

• RMweb Gold
22 minutes ago, longchap said:

We flew in an antique version ...

That was the only version!

22 minutes ago, longchap said:

Good luck with the move. Any idea when yet?

Not yet, but I have to leave the flat before the end of April.  So hopefully will have completed by then...

• Friendly/supportive 4

• RMweb Premium

Keep pestering the solicitor, if you want completion in a reasonable time, I hope that neither party are using online solicitors, when my friend was buying a property in Yeovil, the vendor used an online solicitor based in Wales, it took nearly six months to get completion, it was virtually impossible to get hold of them.

• Agree 1
  • Informative/Useful 1

• RMweb Gold
1 hour ago, Siberian Snooper said:

Keep pestering the solicitor, if you want completion in a reasonable time, I hope that neither party are using online solicitors, when my friend was buying a property in Yeovil, the vendor used an online solicitor based in Wales, it took nearly six months to get completion, it was virtually impossible to get hold of them.

Mine seems to have been pretty responsive so far - touch wood.

• Friendly/supportive 5

• RMweb Gold
1 hour ago, Schooner said:

Oh, I dunno! The old girl's been putting in a decent shift again recently...

4d264394176aa18f.jpg

I was being very unfair to the Queen of the Skies, to be honest.  Fantastic aircraft.  We would sometimes have passengers on board who would point out, with a worried look on their face, one of the many and various oil leaks.  We would explain that the time to worry was when there weren't any oil leaks - indicating that it was now empty...  (which reminds me of another story).

And I'd forgotten about them flying in Ukraine.  I hope they're providing good service - I'm sure they will be.  Shame we can't see the side number on that one, could well be an airframe that I flew in!

• Like 7

Yes, but you're allowed to be as I imagine at least once or twice she was unfair to you! 

IIRC early reports were very positive, but not heard anything for a while (nor have I asked). Either way, bet it's a sight better than no casevac or CSAR at all.

• Like 2

1 hour ago, Graham T said:

We would sometimes have passengers on board who would point out, with a worried look on their face, one of the many and various oil leaks.  We would explain that the time to worry was when there weren't any oil leaks - indicating that it was now empty... 

“If it’s leaking oil, it’s got oil”

• Like 2
  • Agree 2

• RMweb Premium
15 hours ago, Graham T said:

That was the only version!

Not yet, but I have to leave the flat before the end of April.  So hopefully will have completed by then...

Keep chasing the agent and solicitor.

A good agent should be “checking the chain” every week.*

I am always amazed when I hear of purchasers / sellers who don’t chase!

*Checking the chain means that the agent phones every agent in the sale chain every week to check on any issues further up the chain - a good agent will know of any potential issues along the way. Data protection doesn’t come into it - they should all be talking.

Good luck Graham.

• Like 4
  • Agree 2

Many happy memories of seeing a Jungly coming in several parts of the world...

Good memories of jumping out of a few too.

Good luck with the move.

• Like 3

12 hours ago, Graham T said:

could well be an airframe that I flew in!

Makes it sound a bit like Triggers broom. Thinking about it, it will be like anything else that is maintained, it will have parts and major components replaced. 

Which is what I find amusing about newspaper headlines of working locomotives 'being 100 years old'. 

• Like 1
  • Agree 5

• RMweb Gold
13 hours ago, Schooner said:

Yes, but you're allowed to be as I imagine at least once or twice she was unfair to you! 

IIRC early reports were very positive, but not heard anything for a while (nor have I asked). Either way, bet it's a sight better than no casevac or CSAR at all.

A couple of occasions spring to mind where the aircraft did throw in the odd niggle.  One was hovering alongside a ship on a hot day in the Adriatic, when one of the engines decided to have a rest.  I was perched in the cargo door at the time, as we were cross-decking stores, when I heard the engine wind down just above my head.  Not fun, and it was only thanks to a very good pilot that I didn't get my feet wet.

Then there was an occasion when I was instructing an observer, we were flying over Mounts Bay.  The main rotor gearbox dumped all its oil (this was not the usual common or garden leak) and we had to land asap at Penzance heliport. 

Later on the gearbox was fitted with an emergency lubrication system - ELS, which gave it longer in the air before it would seize completely.  (I'm not an expert on Sea King tech, so if I've got any of this wrong, sorry!)

As an aside, I recall another day in the Adriatic when we decided to do a little survival test, in a pre-ELS Sea King.  We climbed to our 10,000 foot ceiling, where the cab felt very waffly and uncomfortable (so did I).  The plan was then to autorotate down, simulating a total loss of main gearbox oil, to see if we would be able to reach the surface before the gearbox completely seized, the rotor stopped, and we turned into a flying brick.

We ran out of time with quite a long way still to go...

• Informative/Useful 1
  • Interesting/Thought-provoking 4
  • Friendly/supportive 4

• RMweb Gold
4 hours ago, Gypsy said:

Many happy memories of seeing a Jungly coming in several parts of the world...

Good memories of jumping out of a few too.

Good luck with the move.

I was in grey cabs rather than green.  Whenever I spoke to any troops they were 100% in favour of being supported by the dark blue rather than the crabfat version!

I did a few jumps but always from fixed wing.

• Like 3

Only been in a Sea King once and that was just for a look around. The Westland Lynx being the deafener of choice.

As for Trigger's broom, pretty much anything that's been through the shops won't have its original components, which I find pretty amusing when people are selling vintage military stuff as "all original". It should be "all the right bits". The only thing I ever saw that was "all original" was a 1942 Bedford MW with just twenty miles on the clock that had been sitting in a shed since being sold as surplus in the early fifties.

It was totally untouched, but anything made of canvas or rubber had rotted, so if it was to run again, it would need an awful lot replaced, although I wouldn't have touched the paint if I could have got hold of it.

Unfortunately, as in a lot of such cases, the owner maintained he had turned down £20,000 for it. About ten times what it was worth at the time.

Edited by MrWolf
Stupid autocorrect
  • Like 4

• RMweb Premium
1 hour ago, Graham T said:

rather than the crabfat version

I worked with a paratrooper once who was forever doing exercise in northern Norway - his view was simple, pale blue might turn up if the weather was nice and it was a Tuesday, Wednesday or Thursday, green came most days, most weathers, dark blue never left them in his entire service career!

• Like 6
  • Friendly/supportive 1

• RMweb Premium
13 hours ago, Neal Ball said:

Keep chasing the agent and solicitor.

A good agent should be “checking the chain” every week.*

I am always amazed when I hear of purchasers / sellers who don’t chase!

That reminds me of when I was buying the Manor House.  I got a call from the agents one day.  The vendor wanted to know why things didn't seem to be moving.  I contacted my solicitors to find out.  "now't to do with us guv, but we'll check".  Turned out the vendor's solicitor was the hold up.  The reason being that the vendor wasn't answering their questions.

Good luck Graham.

Adrian 

• Like 6

• RMweb Premium
23 hours ago, Tortuga said:

“If it’s leaking oil, it’s got oil”

Landrovers are the same - well I am talking about Real ones not today's do called cars

• Agree 1

• RMweb Premium
17 minutes ago, John Besley said:

Landrovers are the same - well I am talking about Real ones not today's do called cars

Land Rovers do not leak oil.  They mark their territories.

Adrian (ex IIA owner)

• Like 2
  • Funny 6

• RMweb Premium
3 minutes ago, figworthy said:

Adrian (ex IIA owner)

Like my drive... At one point looked like the leakage from the Torrey Canyon

• Friendly/supportive 4

1 hour ago, figworthy said:

Adrian (ex IIA owner)

Mine had the obligatory transfer box, which transferred its oil into the overdrive, then onto the driveway, which necessitated a regular drain and refill until I found the patience to change the oil seals.

The brakes either work, or they don't. There is no middle ground.

Has anyone ever managed to keep the steering swivels oil tight? 

Rob. (Also an ex IIA owner) 

• RMweb Premium

Fit a swivel gator and then you can't see it. Although it does then dent your confidence after wading, no oil is coming out but did water go in...

SIII 109

• Funny 2

2 hours ago, figworthy said:

Adrian (ex IIA owner)

That’s what my VWs do as well.

• Like 1

23 minutes ago, Tortuga said:

That’s what my VWs do as well.

My '66 Beetle did that as someone had omitted all of the sealing washers from the sump filter screws.

Pure genius.

• Round of applause 2