RMweb

Ship stuck across (blocking) the Suez Canal

john new

• RMweb Gold
5 hours ago, Satan's Goldfish said:

Gruntled: pleased, satisfied, and contented. (Definitions from Oxford Languages)

(a very underused word IMO)

I shall endeavour to use it whenever I can, Satan's Goldfish.

• Like 3
  • Agree 1

A small snippet that made me smile this morning...

The Ever Given is part of the "Golden" class of container ships. All named with words beginning with "G".....so Ever Given, Ever Globe, Ever Glory etc, etc

Each voyage/call of each vessel calling into Felixstowe (and other ports) is registered on the port system with it's ETA and ETD. Each call is allocated a 5 digit number. This morning some wit decided to change the Ever Given's name against it April 4th call to "Ever Grounded".....

Obvious but when you know some of the daft names Evergreen have given ('scuse the pun) their vessel over the years it works rather well!

(it was changed back fairly swiftly unsurprisingly)

Edited by admiles
  • Like 8

6 hours ago, tomparryharry said:

The funniest bit is people reading captain Dog, and thinking it's real. It isn't is it?

Very Guardian, taps into all their memes.

Shipsplaining?  At least its not the egregrious "Mansplaining".

• Like 1

• RMweb Gold

Some years ago, we were awaiting the arrival of the Waverley at Minehead  harbour.  The vessel was making its way into harbour, against a fierce ebbing tide. We were told the passengers had just 5 minutes to embark. Any longer, and they would go without us. 

Talking to the harbourmaster " Do they think they'll make it?"

"Yeesss, he replied.  " Just as long as they've fitted a set of wheels on the bottom...."

• Like 1
  • Funny 2

The 'alternative' route round the Cape between Europe and the middle/far east is currently getting press...but three was also mention early on in this saga of the 'Northern' route?

This route, now progressively becoming more suitable for non-ice-breaking vessels, is actually shorter,  [and, crucially, quicker] than going via Suez.

I wonder whether the current debacle will hasten more usage of this northern route?

Despite Russia doubtless cashing in on the fact it is ''their'' territory?

When I was at sea, Suez was a dead end. [no, I'm not  that old!].

But all the time I was at sea, Israel managed to keep the Suez Canal closed, so the Cape was the only way between Europe and the Gulf [I was indentured to BP tankers]

Or, shuttling back & forth from one end of the Med to the other, carrying crude from Baniyas or Tripoli , to Italy, France, etc etc. [Until the pipelines got blown up]

• Like 1

• RMweb Premium

I have spent most of today chasing around to see which vessels with our materials on are in the traffic jam behind them reviewing which customer order will be affected fun for a Friday, suppose it’s a change from Covid and Brexit

• Like 1
  • Friendly/supportive 4

20 minutes ago, younGGuns7 said:

I have spent most of today chasing around to see which vessels with our materials on are in the traffic jam behind them reviewing which customer order will be affected fun for a Friday, suppose it’s a change from Covid and Brexit

Likewise I've been checking vessel in the queue to see if we have containers on any.

Most of the major carriers are delaying sailings from China for 10 days too. April will be "interesting" to say the least.

• Agree 2
  • Friendly/supportive 1

• RMweb Premium
2 minutes ago, admiles said:

Likewise I've been checking vessel in the queue to see if we have containers on any.

Most of the major carriers are delaying sailings from China for 10 days too. April will be "interesting" to say the least.

Likewise from India there is a major concern that there will be a shortage of containers in Asia again - another increase in shipping cost on the way - again 

• Agree 2
  • Friendly/supportive 1

1 minute ago, younGGuns7 said:

Likewise from India there is a major concern that there will be a shortage of containers in Asia again - another increase in shipping cost on the way - again 

.......thats's ok. Freight rates are at bargain prices currently anyway! :jester:

• RMweb Premium
5 hours ago, admiles said:

A small snippet that made me smile this morning...

The Ever Given is part of the "Golden" class of container ships. All named with words beginning with "G".....so Ever Given, Ever Globe, Ever Glory etc, etc

Each voyage/call of each vessel calling into Felixstowe (and other ports) is registered on the port system with it's ETA and ETD. Each call is allocated a 5 digit number. This morning some wit decided to change the Ever Given's name against it April 4th call to "Ever Grounded".....

Obvious but when you know some of the daft names Evergreen have given ('scuse the pun) their vessel over the years it works rather well!

(it was changed back fairly swiftly unsurprisingly)

Ever Gridlocked?

• Like 4
  • Funny 2

2 hours ago, younGGuns7 said:

I can't see the container industry getting back to normal before the end of the summer.  Empty boxes in the wrong place, congested ports, Suez crisis, backlog of products coming out of China, going to be a fun year...

• Like 1
  • Friendly/supportive 2

• RMweb Premium
2 minutes ago, 37114 said:

I can't see the container industry getting back to normal before the end of the summer.  Empty boxes in the wrong place, congested ports, Suez crisis, backlog of products coming out of China, going to be a fun year...

We have had two years of fun what with a new IT system then Covid and then Brexit this has been the biggest challenge to our business. Once the block has cleared the next issue will be trying to berth vessels in Felixstowe oh happy days. 

• Friendly/supportive 3

• RMweb Premium
1 minute ago, newbryford said:

Rumour has it that there is actually a box full of models bound for the UK onboard..........

Just one?

I thought all the over due releases are on there:jester: