Please use M,M&M only for topics that do not fit within other forum areas. All topics posted here await admin team approval to ensure they don't belong elsewhere.

Abandoned rails in the road.....(or elsewhere...)

33C

1 minute ago, ianmacc said:

Given their weathering and the locator. I would give very strong odds that they are from the Hornsea branch itself. 

it may just be me but has anybody else ever “sensed” an isolated and disconnected atmosphere at towns that the railways have abandoned? Compare the feel of Hornsea and Withernsea with Filey (similar size) Bridlington and Scarborough just up the road for example. 

Were they ever of comparable size / popularity when they were still rail-served?

CJI.

5 minutes ago, cctransuk said:

Were they ever of comparable size / popularity when they were still rail-served?

CJI.

Without checking I am sure Hornsea and Filey are comparable, Bridlington and Scarborough have always been bigger. The other three also had the advantage of being linked in a single route whereas Hornsea was a branch line with practically nothing else between it and Hull and prime target. 

Edited by ianmacc
Typo as usual
  • Like 1
  • Agree 1
  • Interesting/Thought-provoking 1

On 28/09/2022 at 11:23, ianmacc said:

Given their weathering and the location I would give very strong odds that they are from the Hornsea branch itself. 

it may just be me but has anybody else ever “sensed” an isolated and disconnected atmosphere at towns that the railways have abandoned? Compare the feel of Hornsea and Withernsea with Filey (similar size) Bridlington and Scarborough just up the road for example. 

Yes, Ventnor on the Isle of Wight.

• Like 1
  • Agree 5

• RMweb Premium

There was still some rolling stock, but in poor condition. Husvik was the ship yard for the whales in South Georgia, it wasn't a whaling station as such lik Grytviken, Leith and Stromness, when the whalers went home in the 60's they thought the whaling ban would be a temporary aberration and they'd be back soon. So the ship yard was left ready to reactivate. When I was there, there were unused diesel engines still in packing crates, propellers, pumps, piping, loads of steel stock. It was estimated there was still more than enough material and equipment to build a new whale catcher if it had been in good order.

• Like 2
  • Informative/Useful 7

• RMweb Premium

I knew of that and have seen Grytviken on Google Earth but that's the first set of decent photos I have seen from Husvik.

Thanks for posting.

Edited by melmerby
  • Agree 2
  • Thanks 1

9 hours ago, jjb1970 said:

I'd wager these rails have a good claim to be considered the most remote outpost of rails in the world (though there will be other contenders). Hard to get much more remote. Husvik on South Georgia, pics from the mid 90's when I worked for British Antarctic Survey.

Hus1.jpg

Hus2.jpg

Hus3.jpg

Hus4.jpg

Pick up a p p penguin! New reason for late trains.....seals on the line

• Like 1
  • Funny 6

• RMweb Premium

I won't drag the thread off course any further, but just as a final aside, if anyone ever gets the opportunity to visit South Georgia then take it. I found it a much more beautiful place than Antarctica proper, the mountains are quite spectacular. It has a remarkable history, nowadays it is essentially uninhabited except for a handful of scientists and a post office at King Edward Point next to Grytviken, yet in the whaling days it was a powerhouse, with several large whaling stations. Whaling was barbaric, I am a bit of a hypocrite as a meat eater but the way whales were harvested was awful. The harpoons had explosive charges which blew the whales innards apart but not enough to kill them immediately. The key was to keep them alive while they were brought ashore for processing. When I was there they still had a large deer population but they were all culled. Similarly in Antarctica all the dogs were culled. I think some of the old stations are in a real bad way now, they did a lot of work at Grytviken but the others are just decaying, sadly.

• Like 1
  • Informative/Useful 2
  • Interesting/Thought-provoking 2

2 hours ago, Ben B said:

I'm sure, about 10 years ago, there was someone on the NGRM forum building a layout inspired by that line. If I get chance,  I'll have a nosy tonight after work

There was a layout of a whaling railway done in 09 a few years ago in quite a cartoonish way, although I can’t now remember where I saw pictures of it.

• Like 1

21 hours ago, Ben B said:

I'm sure, about 10 years ago, there was someone on the NGRM forum building a layout inspired by that line. If I get chance,  I'll have a nosy tonight after work

I hope so! I need a narrow gauge layout with penguins and seals on it in my life! 

Britain’s probably have/ have had perfect and realistic models in their range! 

• Like 1
  • Agree 1

17 hours ago, Northmoor said:

There's a joke here somewhere about a whale-weigh station, but I can't seem to find it......

I don’t know; you seem to have located it. I can contribute blubber traction tyres or dorsal finial signals. 

• Funny 3

4 hours ago, ianmacc said:

I hope so! I need a narrow gauge layout with penguins and seals on it in my life! 

Britain’s probably have/ have had perfect and realistic models in their range! 

Well speaking of that, I'm sure there's been a narrow gauge zoo railway in the 009 Society mag within the last decade too. I know Airfix did do a range of animals in slightly waxy plastic, I have a set that used to belong to my mom :)

• Like 4

1 hour ago, Ben B said:

Well speaking of that, I'm sure there's been a narrow gauge zoo railway in the 009 Society mag within the last decade too. I know Airfix did do a range of animals in slightly waxy plastic, I have a set that used to belong to my mom :)

There are (or have been) at least two layouts based on the Whipsnade line, plus other freelance ones.

• Like 3

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

My plans for today went awry and left me with spare time on the south coast so I chose to do some unplanned touring by bus.  Hopping off at a stop named Seven Sisters Country Park seemed a good place to begin a walk of the inland footpaths.  However, the nearby information boards mentioned Cuckmere Haven and I remembered an RMWeb thread had discussed an industrial NG railway.  So, I chose instead to walk the footpath towards the sea.   The area information boards had a map with an 'old tramway' 'Heritage Feature' along the route but it wasn't easy to spot first time.  I confirmed it for sure only on the way back as I tried to follow what might have been a tramway track-bed rather than the footpath.

1655153885_IMG_20221030_140210b.jpg.a41715f3782c62cc92115abc0d6c3d70.jpg

The feature, partly hidden from the footpath by tree branches, doesn't include abandoned rails, strictly, but it is abandoned infrastucture with evidence that rails may have been present. It is a small concrete bridge or culvert over a land drain.  

1413893718_IMG_20221030_140210c.jpg.416622d5f77beb09a7da49324f9a5674.jpg

Embedded in the top surface, not rails but two parallel, rusty I-beams, axis-to-axis about 20-24" apart.  As this feature was on the apparent track-bed alignment it's reasonable to speculate that the beams were supports for decking or simply for the sleepers of a narrow-gauge line.

Now, having made a swift check by computer, there's RMWeb mention of the tramway and other general mentions of the area:

https://www.rmweb.co.uk/topic/162267-seaside-holiday-island-narrow-gauge/page/9/#comment-4330328
https://www.sevensisters.org.uk/
https://www.cuckmerehavensos.org/history

Best clue on the 'heritage feature' is the NLS OS 25" map of the area, 1939 revision.  The small bridge is bottom centre of the linked map image:

https://maps.nls.uk/view/103675294#zoom=4&lat=8842&lon=7524&layers=BT

• Like 15

• 3 weeks later...

Back in the summer, I walked from Snodland in Kent back to Strood and made a detour to pass through the hamlet of Upper Halling.  The footpath to get there rose steeply alongside an abandoned quarrying area.  The satellite map link below shows part of the present-day footpath rising roughly East to West from lower right to upper left in the image.  

https://www.google.co.uk/maps/place/Halling,+Rochester/@51.3450416,0.4324492,920m/data=!3m1!1e3!4m5!3m4!1s0x47d8cb49e70e315d:0xbc09c8d6ca824f9a!8m2!3d51.352063!4d0.441702!5m1!1e2?hl=en-GB

The 25-inch OS map 1939 revision shows roughly the same area, again with footpath but also a parallel tramway to the top of the quarry, rising from a Lime works in the river valley.  

https://maps.nls.uk/view/103678508#zoom=4&lat=8692&lon=2932&layers=BT

Given the steep gradient, and the presence of a top and a bottom 'Engine House' on the OS map, there might have been cable haulage on this section of the quarry tramways.

The footpath has remnants of rails along its straight section, mostly well hidden in thick undergrowth and shadows.  

1367343494_IMG_20220917_134313c.jpg.649d87d845bca80480cec455ca3e6a2d.jpg

62341123_IMG_20220917_134719c.jpg.526757e4ca17634e10c3dd2d06196756.jpg

709387368_IMG_20220917_133950c.jpg.c0d09a641ac920edec0d80c72902fff7.jpg

At one place it was possible, just, to find both rails, the spacing of which suggested this might have been standard gauge line. 

• Like 11