RMweb

Labels on white goods

spikey

Since the fashion took off round here for leaving defunct white goods outside your house in the hope that somebody will disappear them for you, I've been intrigued to note that many of those washing machines and so forth still have all the sticky labels on them.  And by that I mean those big, brightly-coloured ones beseeching you to register your guarantee or whatever.

What's up with people?  How can anybody be doing with that?  How on earth can you have an appliance in full view in your kitchen for long enough for it to bust, and you've never got round to taking those eyesores off it?

In our area a couple have a small business picking up such stuff and recycling it. They prowl around picking things up, skip dipping etc. You should watch him and his wife, both built like brick sh*t houses pick up a washing machine ant toss it onto their truck !!!   A worthwhile, free and environmentally friendly service.

The council charges £86 though we are allowed one free collection per year.

Brit15

• Like 4
  • Informative/Useful 1
  • Funny 1

If they've got the repair phone line number on them then at least you know where the label with the number on is :-)

The washing machine, cooker, fridge etc are machines to do a job, not part of the decor in my view. Function over aesthetics, including not spending an hour rummaging in a drawer for a phone number when it breaks down. 

• Like 3
  • Agree 4

Washing machine is about 14 years old and it still has the register now sticker on it.

There are more important things in life than to go around removing such things.

Laptop also has original stickers in place.

I did take the sticker off the TV as it obscured part of the picture.

Whatever next. People cutting the plastic tags off of clothes?

Bernard

• Like 4
  • Agree 1
  • Funny 7

• RMweb Premium
2 hours ago, APOLLO said:

In our area a couple have a small business picking up such stuff and recycling it. They prowl around picking things up, skip dipping etc. You should watch him and his wife, both built like brick sh*t houses pick up a washing machine ant toss it onto their truck !!!   A worthwhile, free and environmentally friendly service.

Brit15

Are you sure they're not pikeys?

They remove the valuable bits to get some cash and just dump the rest for someone else to dispose of.

I've seen them cut the motor out of a fridge left outside (releasing the gas) and leave the carcass behind.

• Informative/Useful 2

2 minutes ago, melmerby said:

Are you sure they're not pikeys?

They remove the valuable bits to get some cash and just dump the rest for someone else to dispose of.

I've seen them cut the motor out of a fridge left outside (releasing the gas) and leave the carcass behind.

I think it's legit, phone number on pick up and I believe they have a scrapyard. 

Brit15

• Like 2
  • Informative/Useful 1

23 minutes ago, Colin_McLeod said:

If legit they will have a waste licence number as well. 

You ask her - be careful she's a big 'un !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Brit15

• Funny 4

• RMweb Gold

The bit that confuses me with the scrap merchants is I had around 500kg of steel shelving (awful stuff that had to be screwed to a wall etc) a couple of years back. Took a sample to three legal yards and was told it was valueless as scrap but if I delivered they would dispose of it for me.

Booked a skip as less hassle than booking a hire van etc etc and the whole lot was stolen overnight by skip rats. If the legal boys won’t pay for it, how are they making money from it...

back on topic just realised said stickers are still on our washing machine and tumble dryer...which surprised me as i normally enjoy removing stickers and plastic off new items...

• Like 1

• RMweb Gold
1 hour ago, melmerby said:

Are you sure they're not pikeys? Members of the travelling community with an Irish or other indicernable accent.

Apparently P****s  is now a racist term....

• Informative/Useful 1

• RMweb Premium
12 hours ago, Wheatley said:

If they've got the repair phone line number on them then at least you know where the label with the number on is :-)

The washing machine, cooker, fridge etc are machines to do a job, not part of the decor in my view. Function over aesthetics, including not spending an hour rummaging in a drawer for a phone number when it breaks down. 

The label has a phone number there, so you can ring up to get the label recycled!

• Like 1

9 hours ago, chris p bacon said:

Apparently P****s  is now a racist term....

Really?  Whatever next!  I was wondering why it had vanished from my OP ...

Edited by spikey

• RMweb Premium

The local scrappy will take in a washing machine etc and you'll get £5 -10 for it, the same for lead acid batteries (priced by weight). I'm just waiting for the covid to go away as far as business is concerned and I'll have 2 tumble dryers  2 washing machines a cooker , and about 100Kg of batteries to put in.. That'll pay for a Loco.. maybe two.

https://uk.emrlocal.com/TheSellingProcess

Edited by TheQ
  • Informative/Useful 1

• RMweb Premium
16 hours ago, Wheatley said:

My personal view is that I always want to get the aesthetics fitting for anything that's part of my day to day life where possible. All part of the little ordinary details that I personally find make a huge difference to quality of life when you add them up, even if they seem insignificant individually.

• Like 1

People who leave the protective film on remote controls, or front panels of dvd/set top boxes etc!

Arrrrgh!

My mate had a really nice lap top that was swathed in scuffed, bubbled and torn clear plastic - that stuff should be removed the day you get it out the box!   

• Agree 2

• RMweb Premium
16 minutes ago, Ray Von said:

People who leave the protective film on remote controls, or front panels of dvd/set top boxes etc!

Arrrrgh!

My mate had a really nice lap top that was swathed in scuffed, bubbled and torn clear plastic - that stuff should be removed the day you get it out the box!   

I agree, but it probably means he still had a really nice laptop that was in as good as new condition under the plastic!

• Like 1
  • Agree 1
  • Funny 1

• RMweb Premium
34 minutes ago, Ray Von said:

Arrrrgh!

Rant mode on>

In the same category are people who have microwaves, clocks, car clocks and basically anything that has the time which can only be adjusted manually. So they are out by either 1 hour fast/slow or else the time just restarts/restarts from whenever power is restored. So they can be a few or many hours/minutes slow and perhaps even days out, if it has been years since it was last accurately set.

It drives me nuts to see clocks with entirely random times - if you have a working clock it should show the correct time. Particularly annoying are ones that someone didn't set it right, as in it shows 0200 for 1400 and so is 12 hours out, and so if fitted half the time it shows the wrong date.

Arrrrrrrrrrrrrhhhhhhhh!

That reminds me, that this Sunday morning, it's time for the clocks to go back, for the end of Daylight Saving.

Rant Mode staying on!!!!!!!!!!!

• Like 1
  • Agree 2

27 minutes ago, kevinlms said:

Rant mode on>

In the same category are people who have microwaves, clocks, car clocks and basically anything that has the time which can only be adjusted manually. 

Why the hell does a microwave or a radio have to have clock?  These things can usually often be set by an obscure ritual of holding in one button which is normally used for something and then pressing some other button repeatedly.  Personally I can't be arsed.  Life is too short to waste time setting the time on a clock that I don't refer to.

• Agree 5
  • Funny 1

• RMweb Premium
5 minutes ago, Michael Hodgson said:

Why the hell does a microwave or a radio have to have clock?  These things can usually often be set by an obscure ritual of holding in one button which is normally used for something and then pressing some other button repeatedly.  Personally I can't be arsed.  Life is too short to waste time setting the time on a clock that I don't refer to.

But the thing is still on.... If you walk past and happen to notice that the time can't be right!

• Like 1

• RMweb Premium
7 minutes ago, Michael Hodgson said:

Thankfully my cooker doesn't have a clock, and the microwave just displays : if the clock is not set, so it gets left at that. Are clocks on radios normal other than ones that are explicitly clock radios? (got one of those to wake me up in the morning).