Titfield Thunderbolt 70th Anniversary Range

rapidoandy

• RMweb Premium
11 hours ago, PaulRhB said:

The brake rigging possibly but the pipes are usually present on models I see. 

Anyway it was that you speculated it was 95% when my experience says the visible bits like pipes get fitted ;) 

Well a door missing or just arriving in one of two positions possible? I’ve made posable doors and changeable signs by mounting a steel strip from a Pepsi can on the back and a magnet concealed inside the body or building. As the metal is around 0.02mm thick it doesn’t make the part stand proud. 
Possibly making, painting and then assembling it separately just pushes the costs over what’s practical. My usual approach with Oxford Diecast vans is to chop the door out of one and make a hole in the other to mount the door open but that may be a tad too expensive to hack one of these up! ;) 

Warley NEC 2018

Exactly what I have done with a couple of my road vehicles on the layout, it looks far more real with a bus at a stop to have the door open and people waiting to get on or a van (in my case a painters van) sitting close with rear door open parked close to a couple of workmen “doing what they do”. 

And why would “collectors” be averse to some of their fleet on display with doors in the “boarding” position, unless of course most serious collectors really spend most of the day on their knees pushing their precious models around the carpet :senile:

:D

• Like 5
  • Interesting/Thought-provoking 1

• RMweb Premium
2 minutes ago, PhilJ W said:

It should not be difficult to reposition the door as the body is plastic. It might be possible for someone to make a 3D printed replacement door.

If the model will be plastic then I am perfectly happy to adapt it, far easier than on a cast metal body that’s for sure.

• Like 2

On 26/12/2021 at 05:41, rapidoandy said:

... here are some of the latest WIP shots of the W&U coach CAD.

Is that the GER/LNER W&U coach or the Titfield Buffet Coach?  I have the Buffet Coach pack on pre-order, but I really want the as it ran GER version.  I promise to buy the GER one if that is released, and another in Tollesbury livery.

• Like 2

• RMweb Premium
5 hours ago, KymN said:

Is that the GER/LNER W&U coach or the Titfield Buffet Coach?  I have the Buffet Coach pack on pre-order, but I really want the as it ran GER version.  I promise to buy the GER one if that is released, and another in Tollesbury livery.

My understanding is that it will be produced in several different versions right up to BR.

• Like 2
  • Round of applause 1

18 hours ago, KymN said:

The one in the pack is the Titfield version. The prototype ID/livery combos have yet to be announced. I'm holding out on a GER example (or two!)

• Like 3

• RMweb Premium
18 hours ago, KymN said:

21 minutes ago, jamesC37LG said:

The one in the pack is the Titfield version. The prototype ID/livery combos have yet to be announced. I'm holding out on a GER example (or two!)

It was mentioned earlier in this thread that GER, LNER and BR versions will be produced.

Edited by PhilJ W
  • Like 3
  • Thanks 1

On 30/12/2021 at 09:29, PhilJ W said:

It was mentioned earlier in this thread that GER, LNER and BR versions will be produced.

I missed that, but I have now seen that work is 'well underway to produce alternative parts for both vehicle, as seen in both their service life, film role and in preservation'.  Evidently there will be more in the next Rapido Newsletter, which for some reason I am no longer getting.  I need to fix that!

• Like 1

2 hours ago, KymN said:

I missed that, but I have now seen that work is 'well underway to produce alternative parts for both vehicle, as seen in both their service life, film role and in preservation'.  Evidently there will be more in the next Rapido Newsletter, which for some reason I am no longer getting.  I need to fix that!

Anyone having problems should remember to check their junk/spam folder, sometimes mass newsletters can be incorrectly flagged by your email provider.

• Agree 1
  • Informative/Useful 1

• RMweb Premium
13 minutes ago, Dunsignalling said:

And Buffalo, I think, though AIUI neither was rebuilt into the same form as Lion.

Sorry, yes, quite right, also Elephant. All four had the same wheel and boiler dimensions (which does not necessarily equate to similarity of appearance) but these two, built in March 1839, had 14" x 20" cylinders, v. 12" x 18" for Lion and Tiger, built July and March 1838 - a 50% increase in nominal tractive effort.

Buffalo is an interesting one, sold to the Varna Railway in 1860 - the first line in Bulgaria, built with money British and a strategic political move to fend off Russian influence.

Ref. B. Baxter and D. Baxter, British Locomotive Catalogue 1825 – 1923 Vol. 2A London and North Western Railway and its constituent companies (Moorland Publishing Company, 1978).

Edited by Compound2632
  • Informative/Useful 1
  • Interesting/Thought-provoking 2

• RMweb Gold

So do we know what the others actually looked like? The rebuild of Lion has been mentioned many times but it doesn’t look that different from the photo I’ve seen of it as a stationary boiler. Is there an engraving or account of the original look or modifications? I’m interested because I’ve read quite a bit on Rocket and have the NRM official assessments that make establishing most of its changes and easy to give approximate dates for them. I would also argue that although frame details and the angle of the cylinders changed it’s still substantially recognisable as the loco seen in original engravings. So how different is Lion exactly? If there’s no evidence to show the changes I don’t think it’s that much of a stretch to use the alternate names. 

• Like 1

• RMweb Gold
10 minutes ago, PaulRhB said:

So do we know what the others actually looked like? The rebuild of Lion has been mentioned many times but it doesn’t look that different from the photo I’ve seen of it as a stationary boiler. Is there an engraving or account of the original look or modifications? I’m interested because I’ve read quite a bit on Rocket and have the NRM official assessments that make establishing most of its changes and easy to give approximate dates for them. I would also argue that although frame details and the angle of the cylinders changed it’s still substantially recognisable as the loco seen in original engravings. So how different is Lion exactly? If there’s no evidence to show the changes I don’t think it’s that much of a stretch to use the alternate names. 

Following a bit of web-surfing, some sources cast doubt on Lion (as we know it) actually being Lion anyway.

Seems that when it was found in use as a stationary boiler, it carried no identification and the Lion name was only attributed to it after research that may be open to question. 

Nobody has yet come up with a better claim for any of the others, so Lion it remains. 

One entry I read does suggest that Buffalo and Elephant might have been a bit bigger than Lion and Tiger, though to the same basic design.

John

• Like 2

• RMweb Gold
1 minute ago, Dunsignalling said:

Following a bit of web-surfing, some sources cast doubt on Lion (as we know it) actually being Lion anyway.

Yes that’s been debated for years but has little point, It’s the loco as we know it and it’s had the Lion name longer than it’s previous life in service. We know the basic fabric that they started with from photos of it extracted from the docks and it’s recognisable. 
;)

Unless someone can find a definitive account or engraving people can’t prove it’s wrong because the speculation can’t be backed up with anything. The dock workers knew it as Lion so it’s highly probable that it is because they wouldn’t guess it or the other names by chance to match the records of the locos.  The 1930’s rebuild was done by those familiar with the heritage and techniques so they chose features off other known locos with intuition to match what they had. I doubt it was much different from the rebuilds done in the 1800’s and retained the basic look. 

• Like 3

• RMweb Gold

It’s very difficult to separate those looking to pad out their book from actual fact on some of these things. Several authors have been found to have made fairly large assumptions in railway books across the field so I tend to look for ones that can back it up with contemporary letters, journals or engravings. A bibliography consisting of few or just modern books to me shows a lack of effort when producing these works when others prove there are extensive records that can be cross referenced for the railways concerned. ;) 

Certain modern books don’t feature in my library due to previous suspect claims as a result ;) 

• Agree 2
  • Friendly/supportive 1