Titfield Thunderbolt 70th Anniversary Range

rapidoandy

• RMweb Gold

Rails have informed me by email (and no doubt everyone who has ordered the Deluxe set from them) that the Deluxe set will not now include figures.

That's a shame but it's understandable because model figures are outside Rapido's normal area of operation and, of course, it's not a deal breaker (which is what I told Rails).

That does leave the door open for some other enterprising company to produce the film's characters in 4mm scale, though! Modelu: I'm looking at you!

The day when these sets finally arrive in our homes really is going to be like Christmas Day for all of us, I think! Rapido bringing pure child-like joy to thousands of people... 😀 (And, oh boy, do we need it!)

• Like 5
  • Agree 1
  • Interesting/Thought-provoking 1

• RMweb Premium

I’ve got them on preorder with RoS but not had any emails today, but upon checking I ordered both packs, the deluxe pack and the rolling stock pack which states buffet car and brake van. But upon clicking the link it now just shows the Rapido CAD of the buffet car but no brake van, I am getting confused and a bit worried.

Edited by boxbrownie
  • Friendly/supportive 3

1 hour ago, boxbrownie said:

I’ve got them on preorder with RoS but not had any emails today, but upon checking I ordered both packs, the deluxe pack and the rolling stock pack which states buffet car and brake van. But upon clicking the link it now just shows the Rapido CAD of the buffet car but no brake van, I am getting confused and a bit worried.

If you check your pre-order screen on RoS (and assuming you did pre-order 922003), then it will probably pop up a warning about accepting the price change (which relates to removing the brake van)

• Like 2
  • Agree 1
  • Thanks 1

1 hour ago, Harlequin said:

Rails have informed me by email (and no doubt everyone who has ordered the Deluxe set from them) that the Deluxe set will not now include figures.

That's a shame but it's understandable because model figures are outside Rapido's normal area of operation and, of course, it's not a deal breaker (which is what I told Rails).

That does leave the door open for some other enterprising company to produce the film's characters in 4mm scale, though! Modelu: I'm looking at you!

The day when these sets finally arrive in our homes really is going to be like Christmas Day for all of us, I think! Rapido bringing pure child-like joy to thousands of people... 😀 (And, oh boy, do we need it!)

Rapidomin their newsletter explained about the figures and why they,ve dropped them.

• Like 2
  • Agree 1
  • Informative/Useful 2

• RMweb Premium
1 hour ago, 5Dublo2 said:

If you check your pre-order screen on RoS (and assuming you did pre-order 922003), then it will probably pop up a warning about accepting the price change (which relates to removing the brake van)

Well done, thank you…didn’t cross my mind to do that.

Approved the price change now, but no mention of the brake van in that package, just the tram coach.

If the brake van comes in the deluxe pack it’ll be fine, otherwise I’ll have to order again separately.

Edited by boxbrownie
  • Like 1

Approved the price change now, but no mention of the brake van in that package, just the tram coach.

If the brake van comes in the deluxe pack it’ll be fine, otherwise I’ll have to order again separately.

When first announced it struck me as very odd that they described that package as "The Titfield Thunderbolt Rolling Stock Pack" but it didn't include the loriot, which was to be sold as part of another package with the loco and toad.  Selling all the vehicles as a package or selling them individually would have seemed far more logical.  AS I understood the original announcement, if you bought both packs,you would have two toads.

• Like 3
  • Agree 1

A brake van  comes in the pack with the loco, so if you have also ordered that pack you get a brake van

The original packs has a brake van in each pack as two different brake vans were used in the film

• Like 3

If you get the newsletter, read it.

If you don't, you should subscribe.

If you get the newsletter and read it you would know that the 2nd toad has been removed as research revealed it was a different diagram and thus not the model they are tooling - thus they have removed it.

• Like 2
  • Agree 1
  • Informative/Useful 1

• RMweb Premium
10 hours ago, mdvle said:

If you get the newsletter, read it.

If you don't, you should subscribe.

If you get the newsletter and read it you would know that the 2nd toad has been removed as research revealed it was a different diagram and thus not the model they are tooling - thus they have removed it.

I don’t 

I don’t want to

Thanks for the information, that clears it up. 👍

• Like 2

• RMweb Gold

@rapidoandy thanks for sharing, I pre-ordered the whole DCC set based on your reputation and my APT-e. My Question is can we get into the coaches and passengers without damaging the detail - for example I wondered about adding some "regulars to Valentine's bar  ( I didn't really read the spec for what I ordered and it was a long time ago).  

Edited by deepfat
  • Like 1

• RMweb Premium
27 minutes ago, deepfat said:

@rapidoandy thanks for sharing, I pre-ordered the whole DCC set based on your reputation and my APT-e. My Question is can we get into the coaches and passengers without damaging the detail - for example I wondered about adding the bar.  

No bar?  Rapido…what’s going on? 😉

How about an interior pack*?

*only half joking

Edited by boxbrownie
  • Like 1

Images taken from the Rapido newsletter, showing renders from the final CAD files. I can confirm that I did add the bar when designing the Titfield version! There are a couple of other detail variations that are Titfield-specific, too.

1005382295_unnamed(2).png.93f3334ccb3f72e2bf8ea7d406a2d203.png

64550618_unnamed(3).png.97917a5c2fe2435d56f8fb8134304a4e.png

A couple of overall views:

1412761341_unnamed(4).png.48075935f4d7e6af1a9b6069d776be2e.png
1542353442_unnamed(7).png.7f266461fd4827cddda0aa4111e4b6a0.png
And the underside detail: 
1100359989_unnamed(5).png.a41e0111faf624e5cad7bd4b4627945e.png

And finally the livery mock-up:

1874685279_unnamed(6).png.947089a9853621ef12b046bbbf5ac6d0.png

Edited by Skinnylinny
  • Like 13
  • Thanks 1
  • Informative/Useful 1
  • Craftsmanship/clever 1
  • Round of applause 1

Sorry, that wasn't my intention! I just wanted to reassure you that we are doing a "proper" Titfield interior, with bar. The roof will also be clipped on, so will be removable to add passengers and additional detail, if you wish.

To quote Seth from the film:

"When I do a job, I like to do it proper!"

Edited by Skinnylinny
  • Like 6
  • Funny 3

19 hours ago, Skinnylinny said:

Sorry, that wasn't my intention! I just wanted to reassure you that we are doing a "proper" Titfield interior, with bar. The roof will also be clipped on, so will be removable to add passengers and additional detail, if you wish.

To quote Seth from the film:

"When I do a job, I like to do it proper!"

Wonder if there might have been an error in the most recent news letter as it said the roof wouldn't be removable?

• Like 1
  • Interesting/Thought-provoking 1

On 16/07/2022 at 19:28, Paul.Uni said:

Great!  All we need now is a black liveried 14xx to haul the train as seen at the beginning of the film..  There don`t seem to be any readily available.  Perhaps this is the next thing that Rapido will announce to complete the "Titfield Thunderbolt" representation.

By gthe way, who owns the rights and the  mopulfds for the DJM model?

• Like 2

• RMweb Premium
25 minutes ago, GeoffBird said:

Great!  All we need now is a black liveried 14xx to haul the train as seen at the beginning of the film..  There don`t seem to be any readily available.  Perhaps this is the next thing that Rapido will announce to complete the "Titfield Thunderbolt" representation.

By the way, who owns the rights and the  moulds for the DJM model?

IIRC there was more than one 14xx used in the film and one was in GWR green with the outline of GWR on the side tanks.

• Like 1

• RMweb Gold
1 minute ago, PhilJ W said:

IIRC there was more than one 14xx used in the film and one was in GWR green with the outline of GWR on the side tanks.

1401 and 1462 in the road escapade. Depending on the light 1462 could be very dirty dark green or black. 1401 was black with the scrubbed out GWR. 

3BDBA297-A867-4DAF-AC2C-8EBA40A27269.jpeg.684d07a295b1050deb1c4219bdeb0c63.jpeg

• Like 7