Titfield Thunderbolt 70th Anniversary Range

rapidoandy

Btw, the underside of the Titfield AA20 roof was white. (Which you probably knew anyway, and I'm not quite sure whether it was documented in GWR/BR painting.)

The lamp body colour looks a bit grubby!

titfield-toad.jpg.8db0dab8a77c4f2a073436968f3545f8.jpg

Edited by Miss Prism
  • Like 2
  • Informative/Useful 2
  • Interesting/Thought-provoking 1

• 1 month later...

I saw this Gauge 1 live steam Lion at the Centurion Society of Model Engineers today. Made from an Aster kit, it was just on display and not running on the adjacent Gauge 1 track as the owner said he was simply being lazy and enjoying the day. 👋

I was half expecting Andy from Rapido to appear next to it !

IMG_3279.JPG

• Like 7

2 hours ago, Brian-1c said:

I saw this Gauge 1 live steam Lion at the Centurion Society of Model Engineers today. Made from an Aster kit, it was just on display and not running on the adjacent Gauge 1 track as the owner said he was simply being lazy and enjoying the day. 👋

I was half expecting Andy from Rapido to appear next to it !

IMG_3279.JPG

Funny you should mention G1 models…

On my work desk in a case is a much modified Aster Thunderbolt…

Now you all know how mad I am…

• Like 3
  • Agree 1
  • Funny 5
  • Friendly/supportive 1

40 minutes ago, rapidoandy said:

Funny you should mention G1 models…

On my work desk in a case is a much modified Aster Thunderbolt…

Now you all know how mad I am…

OK, this I have to see when it's ready to show off please and I'll pass it on to the owner of the one in my pic above. He'd be delighted to know this extra bit about the Thunderbolt, as we spent some time talking about the history of Lion, the film and, especially Rapido, who he'd never heard of. Anyway, he's going to look your web site up, knowing now that he can find all the history of the actual loco and the film. I even told where he can get the DVD. He knew the film, but has never seen it. This is the owner shown here, with some of his other work :

IMG_3276.JPG

Edited by Brian-1c
  • Like 5

• 3 weeks later...
  • 5 weeks later...
  • RMweb Premium
9 hours ago, PhilJ W said:

I see Hornby have got their 'Lion' model out in time for Christmas.

It seems that the first batch is already sold out. Not by me, I'm waiting for Rapido's before I make my mind up, if, and if yes, which one. 

• Like 2
  • Agree 1

• RMweb Premium
47 minutes ago, Johan DC said:

It seems that the first batch is already sold out. Not by me, I'm waiting for Rapido's before I make my mind up, if, and if yes, which one. 

I’ll be getting the Rapido version regardless as I am buying it specifically as part of the film.

I’ve no interest in the Edwardian (whatever) era of railways at all.

• Like 2
  • Agree 2

• RMweb Premium
15 minutes ago, boxbrownie said:

I’ll be getting the Rapido version regardless as I am buying it specifically as part of the film.

I haven't seen the film, and my interest goes to the 1930's version. The Hornby, although a very fine model, isn't correct for this period, so small chance it will be that one I'll get.

• Like 2

Given the anniversary is now under 5 months away, March 2023, is it fair to assume that the previously intended release date for the train packs of that period is likely to be missed?

Not a huge issue for most of us, but a small update is always handy for when to expect payments to be made etc.

• Like 2

• RMweb Gold
16 hours ago, JonathonAG said:

Given the anniversary is now under 5 months away, March 2023, is it fair to assume that the previously intended release date for the train packs of that period is likely to be missed?

Not a huge issue for most of us, but a small update is always handy for when to expect payments to be made etc.

Why is that an assumption?  Just asking but the assumption seems to be based on nothing as there have been no announcements from Rapido apart from the one saying that the models will arrive in time for the anniversary.  

As the UK general release date of the film was in early March 1953 (in Britain)  that means that there is more than a month currently available for shipment from the factory even at the least optimistic usual transit time.  As it happens the US general release did not take place until October 1953 so there's nearly a year to go until that date.  And of course many British cinema viewers didn't in any case see the film until well after March (it was screened in my home town much later in the year, probably during the school summer holidays as I was taken to an afternoon screening of the film).  So I could rightly and accurately say that the 70th anniversary of when I first saw it is a lot later than March.

I have no doubt at all that Rapido will let people know when the model is nearing distribution.  But until then any sort of uninformed speculation from anybody else  is exactly that - uninformed speculation aka 'guesswork'.

• Like 4
  • Agree 2

• RMweb Premium
On 14/11/2022 at 10:04, boxbrownie said:

Always makes me a bit sad when I hear something like this.  There are lots of railway eras I've no interest in *modelling*, because I think they make uninteresting model railways, but I'm interested in all eras of railway history, as you can't understand one without knowing what came before, and what came after.  Am I a bit odd?

Anyhoo. Early Victorian, not Edwardian.

EDIT  Just realised that what boxbrownie might have meant was "Eras" as in the "Era system" in which case I agree - I have no interest in the historically-illiterate Era system!

Apologies - this is all OT

RichardT

Edited by RichardT
Adding a thought
  • Like 5
  • Agree 1
  • Round of applause 1

• RMweb Premium
2 hours ago, RichardT said:

Always makes me a bit sad when I hear something like this.  There are lots of railway eras I've no interest in *modelling*, because I think they make uninteresting model railways, but I'm interested in all eras of railway history, as you can't understand one without knowing what came before, and what came after.  Am I a bit odd?

Anyhoo. Early Victorian, not Edwardian.

EDIT  Just realised that what boxbrownie might have meant was "Eras" as in the "Era system" in which case I agree - I have no interest in the historically-illiterate Era system!

Apologies - this is all OT

RichardT

Don’t be sad, Hornby likes some weird Eras.

• Round of applause 2
  • Friendly/supportive 1

• RMweb Gold
53 minutes ago, boxbrownie said:

Don’t be sad, Hornby likes some weird Eras.

Hornby Bashing is (again) in fashion here. But it was actually Bachmann who started them https://anticsonline.uk/Product/Bachmann-ERA-Model-Railway-Era-System_ERA_N2843298#:~:text=First proposed by Bachmann in,livery version of their models.

• Agree 3

• RMweb Premium
44 minutes ago, Vistisen said:

Oohhh sorry, I didn’t realise Hornby’s Era system was perfect. 🙄

• Funny 6
  • Friendly/supportive 1

• RMweb Premium
2 hours ago, Corbs said:

Well technically it's neither, 1930s were in the Interwar era in Britain.

So were the Victoria and Edwardian eras - it just depends on which wars you regard yourself as being between... 😉

But what I was responding to (or thought I was!) was a comment about the Hornby version, one of which purports to be an 1830s locomotive.

Richard

• Like 4

• RMweb Premium
6 minutes ago, Vistisen said:

I didn't mean that Hornby's system was perfect, just that it wasn't Hornby's

Well maybe Hornby should stop using it, or use it correctly.

As above it’s a pointless system useful maybe only to “train set” purchases.

• Agree 2

• RMweb Gold
59 minutes ago, Dunsignalling said:

Era systems are a nonsense IMHO. They were conceived to pander for customers who are too lazy to learn about the prototypes of the models they buy.

John

I’m glad Rapido put the dates in the description for the Lion models, ironically it’s not really relevant to this set as it technically only covers one year 😉
Never really understood why some chose to print era on the unique label on the box or in a catalogue, that requires a key to decode, rather than just the dates. Era X vs 1950-1960, the most you’re saving is four numbers and a hyphen ! 😆
It would be easier to check it in a shop or at a show than wondering if that possible impulse buy item will suit your layout. Research before is fine but even the smartphone can struggle at many shows due to metal clad venues blocking signal. 
Try finding the dates a wagon carried a certain livery and it helps that the manufacturer, who’s already worked  that out, tells you saving time. 

• Like 3
  • Agree 3

Totally agree with a date being given in the description; at least its says when the model is accurate (hopefully).  Think of all the arguments there have been over the accuracy of model which would have been quashed by the simple inclusion of the date (like the Bachamnn Kharki City 4-4-0.) Eras are too wide ranging IMO. Take Bachmanns Mainline Hunslet+ Blanche, accurate from being fitted wtith a full size cab backsheet until its lining was altered two years later so why not say clearly 1934-36 in the description.

• Like 2
  • Agree 3