KR Models announced intention: Haydock Foundry 0-6-0WT 'Bellerophon'

Edwardian

• RMweb Gold
On 06/06/2023 at 10:55, AY Mod said:

I'm sure it will be capable of pulling scale loads in excess of what the real loco does with the diecast content. I do wonder why some people get hung up on that with small locos.

PI Victory, Rapido Hunslet anyone….?  Though the Victory is a bit of a hunk…

• Like 2

• RMweb Gold

I think Edwardian has got it plumb right. A model is in any case always a compromise and if mission impossible with the valve gear is the order of the day,then the choice is yours. My,somewhat detached feeling,is that should the spirit move me,then I’ll take a trip to Sheffield for a working demonstration at Rails emporium when  they arrive. Easy for me but naturally not for most. Andy Y put his finger on the pulse a few dozen posts back,I think….he wants to want one… I’m curious.And if I am smitten with what I see,then yes I’ll take a punt. Yes KR is in some ways his worst enemy and has put his foot in it on several occasions .but at the end of the day,this might be a decent model .

• Like 1
  • Interesting/Thought-provoking 2

• RMweb Gold

I admit I am going to buy this.  I would have liked full working valve gear and feel misled with the publicity and claims.  However, if KR Models had been honest and declared at the start that it was impractical  for them to produce fully working valve gear and would be producing  a simplified version, I would have bought  one.  That being the case, I am still going to buy one.

However, once all my pre funded orders are in, anything else I fancy from KR Models will wait until they are available and reviews made.  If that means I have to wait for a second rum run, so be it.

Edited by Colin_McLeod
  • Like 3

1 hour ago, Darius43 said:

It’s always best to wait for a second rum…🥃

Cheers

Darius

If sales are as poor as this thread suggest they ought to be, the first run will be sold off at a discount; no chance of a second run if that happens.  I wouldn't put money on that outcome, but I doubt if there would be any refinements to the valve gear even if there is a rerun.

• Like 1

I'll admit I have got this on preorder (and have done since October), no shame in the matter at all.

I think we will see this model sell out due to it being a representation of the prototype that is if not perfect, at least passable even if being photographed on a layout.

• Like 1
  • Interesting/Thought-provoking 1

• RMweb Gold
On 10/06/2023 at 17:38, Ian Hargrave said:

We’ll soon have the opportunity to test that theory with the expected arrival of the Fell. 

GT3 is on rum 3… (Top shelf, cachaca perhaps ?) 🫠

Consetts are on rum 2..

Fell, over in my opinion I doubt it will change, but It will stagger back to the bar for another round, same as last time, and stirring, not shaken… i’m even of opinion the sell by date of rum 2 might even be the same as rum 1.

On 10/06/2023 at 18:43, Michael Hodgson said:

If sales are as poor as this thread suggest they ought to be, the first run will be sold off at a discount; no chance of a second run if that happens.  I wouldn't put money on that outcome, but I doubt if there would be any refinements to the valve gear even if there is a rerun.

old toolings never die… they just rest before they resurrect again.

Edited by adb968008
  • Like 1
  • Funny 1

• 2 weeks later...
  • RMweb Premium

I would 100% have been in for a brown as-preserved if they'd been straight with us. I don't understand how valve gear works, it does stuff, that'd be good enough for me if they were clear about what they were selling.

As per my previous post I'm not buying because I don't like and don't trust them.

Which is a bloody shame, because this is absolutely a top rule 1 purchase for me. Sigh.

• 2 months later...
  • RMweb Gold

I was supportive of KR Models at the start despite the early vitriolic response here on RMWeb but of late I feel that all we get is hyperbole without visual proof to back it up.  

Gushing “we have nailed it” with regards to the valve gear without showing it working on the model, to me, just reinforces their “emperor has no clothes” reputation.   The “Del Boy” email sales pitches didn’t help either.

Really disappointed.

Darius

• Like 4
  • Friendly/supportive 2

18 hours ago, BVMR21 said:

There’s been a what-if livery suggestion posted on FB by KR Models…

What is that supposed to mean? What if we create a spurious livery to boost sales of a loco with limited appeal?

Why don't they just tweak a few things and use names from Bellerophon's classmates instead of trying to make up their own version of history?

• Like 3
  • Agree 3

25 minutes ago, Ruston said:

Why don't they just tweak a few things and use names from Bellerophon's classmates instead of trying to make up their own version of history?

Couple of reason they have cited, first one being the differences between Bellerophon and the other locos, and the second being the nameplate for Bellerophon is injection moulded (at least to me it looks that way) and they would need to create a new plate for another loco.