The non-railway and non-modelling social zone. Please ensure forum rules are adhered to in this area too!

Solar panels

hayfield

• RMweb Gold
3 minutes ago, hayfield said:

Tony 

To date the process and company chosen has been been fine and pressure free

Our surveyor visit is in October. Apparently they like to look round the loft. At least I have time to tidy it !

On 27/04/2021 at 12:13, Ruffnut Thorston said:

This thing about panels paying for themselves over time can be a red herring.

We have 12 volt panels on our narrow boat.

We don’t have a clue if they have paid for themselves yet.

We look at the savings in engine running to charge the batteries, wear and tear, fuel, noise and vibration, etc.

As long as you get some benefit...it’s all to the good we believe. 

I have looked at my bills, and the proposed electricity cost savings. With little or no interest from banks I am not loosing any income, the annual savings that the generation will produce will amount to the total cost in ten or so years at todays rates, the system lasts 20 years. Now if the cost of electricity increases over the years the savings will be higher. No doubt if we use our heads we can reduce our electricity consumption. It may even make us value the energy we use even more, who knows

• Like 3

@hayfield - sounds good. :)

Have you had an opportunity to check what make and model of solar panels are being offered?

We've just done something similar for a new build. It came as no great surprise to find that the cheapest panels on the market are older Chinese models that (a) are less efficient and (b) may only last 10 years.

Given the delivery, installation and connection costs are all much the same (regardless of model) we upgraded to better panels that are more efficient and have a 25 year warranty. IIRC it was about 10% extra on the cost. Also they are slimline, darker, and look better on the roof.

You might find that just asking suppliers/installers what panels they are offering is a useful "cowboy filter". ;)

• Like 1

1 hour ago, KeithMacdonald said:

@hayfield - sounds good. :)

Have you had an opportunity to check what make and model of solar panels are being offered?

We've just done something similar for a new build. It came as no great surprise to find that the cheapest panels on the market are older Chinese models that (a) are less efficient and (b) may only last 10 years.

Given the delivery, installation and connection costs are all much the same (regardless of model) we upgraded to better panels that are more efficient and have a 25 year warranty. IIRC it was about 10% extra on the cost. Also they are slimline, darker, and look better on the roof.

You might find that just asking suppliers/installers what panels they are offering is a useful "cowboy filter". ;)

I will look into it, but the specification has been specified by a 3rd party

These are the ones

JA Solar 370w Panels

we had solar panels fitted through our local council around seven years ago literaly halved our bills overnight .no cost to us as it was part of a scheme run by the council where they take a share of the profit in return for the up front cost seems to work well for all concerned .

our neighbour did not take up the offer and are kicking thems selves now when they see our bills compared to thiers 

• RMweb Premium

The Hampshire group auction scheme seems to have been well subscribed, and I have received a message saying it will take them longer to do all the surveys than first anticipated.

Also had a message that the panels to be fitted are a newer version with a slightly higher power rating than originally specified. (newer panels are 375W modules from Q-Cell)

I have had the estimates and slightly more than anticipated, having said this owing to the shape of our roof (L shaped with two different heights, rear roof  shorter in length top to bottom plus a large single story extension) which was very much part of the initial kerb appeal when we bought it, has brought its own challenges)

In short the main roof can only fit 4 panels, but the extension can fit 8. So the initial thoughts of 10 were in some ways ambitious. The quandary is do we go for a cheaper option of 8 or  fit all 12 on the basis that prices paid will increase

Secondly there is a cap put on by the grid on how much we can export to the grid an be paid for, the installers will apply automatically for it to be lifted to a higher figure, but I cannot find out anything about it

16 hours ago, Tony_S said:

Our surveyor visit is in October. Apparently they like to look round the loft. At least I have time to tidy it !

It's a good idea to make sure the roof is strong enough to bear the weight of all this gubbins you're about to put on the roof - and a few blokes in hobnail boots clambering about up there.  A good many years ago my brother (in Northern Scotland where the roof is covered by snow in winter) had a lot of panels fitted to his bungalow - some to generate electricity and others to heat water, and the loft was the obvious place to install some fairly bulky associated equipment.

• RMweb Gold
2 hours ago, Michael Hodgson said:

It's a good idea to make sure the roof is strong enough to bear the weight of all this gubbins you're about to put on the roof - and a few blokes in hobnail boots clambering about up there.  A good many years ago my brother (in Northern Scotland where the roof is covered by snow in winter) had a lot of panels fitted to his bungalow - some to generate electricity and others to heat water, and the loft was the obvious place to install some fairly bulky associated equipment.

The other identical houses in the road that already have solar panels seem fine. The installers will if necessary fit the invertor in an attached brick garage like ours but this is something to ask the surveyor about. 

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Michael Hodgson said:

The commissioning agents specify the the installation requirements / details, which are checked and covered by an insurance backed guarantee, this is one of the benefits of this scheme. 

• RMweb Premium

There has not been mentioned about the problem with these solar panels. The gap between the bottom of the panels and the roof is a great place for pigeons to roost as I had a problem with those feathered rats roosting under my panels 2 years ago. And being woke up at 03: 30am is not a great idea.

I have had the problem resolved now, but it still took the bird brains two years to relies that they can no longer roost under my panels. I had a company come and put a wire mesh around the panels to prevent the litter from going under the panels.

Terry.

• Like 1
  • Friendly/supportive 1

• 1 month later...

The system was installed today, very impressed by the panel fitter and the electrician. panels were fitted by about 3 pm but the electrical side took till about 6.30. A few slight issues, as initially I was going to have panels on the roof so the loft was surveyed. As it happened after the survey and final quote, we decided just to have the panels on our single story extension (due to its unusual design the main roof could only hold 4 panels. Anyway in some ways it was easier to fit the panels, however various options where to put all the electrical gear were though over and additional materials were needed

Still seems a very professional job has been done, only half a kw was produced by the time all the wires were connected. Lets hope its sunny tomorrow

• Informative/Useful 1

6 years ago we had a 4kW installation & "Power Bank" fitted for a total cost of around  £8k.

The panels were made in Germany as was the Inverter.

The investmemnt will be paid for around 12 years.

However, taking into account the electricity saved from the grid they "broke even" after around 4 years.

Something to bear in mind with future installations.

Solar PV should be considered as part of a wider, integrated energy system for the house and car.

There is going to be a move towards smarter homes, using a joint approach to not only electricity supply, but heating, hot water and vehicle charging, all centrally controlled.

At Fully Charged Live, there were some interesting talks given about this subject and the move away from addressing different aspects of energy consumption independently, in their own “ silos”.

One aspect to this is vehicle to home and vehicle to grid, where the electric car becomes part of the home, rather than something separate.

I was rather sceptical about the idea of using an EV as a source of additional power for the home, until I learnt a bit more about it.

Once they’ve cracked this, the need for an expensive home battery storage system, is reduced or eliminated.

Why pay thousand of pounds for a battery storage bank, when you already have one in the shape of your car?

We had our first day of producing electricity yesterday, it was overcast all day but still generated 3kw. I have no idea if this is good or bad it certainly reduced the amount of electricity we bought from the previous day

I was talking to someone yesterday and in some of the US states you get back free as much as you put in, its a great pity we don't do the same. If the government want the public to act on global warming they need to encourage folk to do more.

Anyway I am getting more interested in what I both use and buy

• Like 1

8 hours ago, hayfield said:

We had our first day of producing electricity yesterday, it was overcast all day but still generated 3kw. I have no idea if this is good or bad it certainly reduced the amount of electricity we bought from the previous day

I think that would be 3 kilowatt hours meaning your panels could have been generating 500 watts for six hours or something like that.

3 kilowatts hours is enough energy to run a 3 kilowatt heater for one hour or a 1 kilowatt heater continuously for three hours. Alternatively a large number of LED light bulbs for many hours. A decent amount of energy anyway.

3 hours ago, AndyID said:

I think that would be 3 kilowatt hours meaning your panels could have been generating 500 watts for six hours or something like that.

3 kilowatts hours is enough energy to run a 3 kilowatt heater for one hour or a 1 kilowatt heater continuously for three hours. Alternatively a large number of LED light bulbs for many hours. A decent amount of energy anyway.

Today has been very sunny and the return has been much greater 11 kwh, looks like the biggest part of my electric cost is the standing charge, despite cooking the Sunday lunch in the oven then using the dishwasher. Certainly down stairs we have LED bulbs. And I think we may change our habits a bit to maximise the benefits. Todays consumption if I am understanding it correctly is less than half of our use

No doubt with both Autumn and Winter approaching returns will be much lower, 

Next up is changing our shower which is electric to running off the gas central heating boiler. We are in the process of renewing our bathroom and had already decided on the shower being fed by the hot water system for a better performance

Next job is to understand the information both from our smart meter and the solar power electronics

• Like 3

On 30/04/2021 at 19:04, Vistisen said:

It's only on trial. The problem is still a reality. From your link:

After each use of PVStop the Brigade’s fire crews will be provide feedback. If it proves effective and practical for operational use, the Brigade will be looking to include it as a permanent firefighting resource. 

but it is a good idea

Either way though, it's still a delay before the fire brigade can begin putting the fire out.

If I am reading my smart meter properly here are 2 full days results

Saturday which was cloudy all day my smart meter reported I spent £1.41 on electricity against £2.10 last week without the panels

Sunday was very sunny all day, oven on for Sunday roast and used the dish washer this week we spent £1.18 against £2.45 the previous week

I believe my meter adds 25p per day standing charge so yesterday the net of standing charge was 93p against £2.20

In addition once the payment system is set up I will also be exporting electricity and getting paid for it, further increasing the benefits

• Informative/Useful 1

A quick update after 5 days use

One day was cloudy after taking the standing charge off my consumption was down on the same day a week ago  by 45% and it only produced 3kwh that day

The best day (yesterday) reduced my consumption on the day by about 55% against the same day the previous week and it produced 12.65kwh, once the export of electricity is sorted out it will be be reducing my electricity bill further

The last 5 days its nearly halved my electricity cost excluding the standard charge, I buy very little if any between 9am and 6pm, producing in the 5 days 47kwh of power (most of which I think I export back to the grid. I accept in the less sunny months the return will be less but this will be compensated by the income from exporting power

My main aim was to reduce my electricity bill and whilst its early days I am pleased with what I an achieving

• Like 2

Following this with interest and wondering - might I ask how many kWh of electricity you used in the year to, say, July or August?  (The figure should be readily apparent in the payments/usage details of your electricity account)

15 minutes ago, spikey said:

Following this with interest and wondering - might I ask how many kWh of electricity you used in the year to, say, July or August?  (The figure should be readily apparent in the payments/usage details of your electricity account)

Spikey

I am the worlds worst at leaving lights and other things on, my anticipated usage is 3400 kwh based on a 12 month cycle.

Earlier with the sun out I was producing 2.2 kw (my maximum is 2.59 kw, now overcast and producing 980 watts. I have also found out about applying for export payments and waiting for the certificates to proceed

If you have read from the beginning I had no idea about solar energy (still a bit in the dark) but the partnership with Essex County Council takes a lot of the worry out. The specification is set out, installers vetted, system is insurance backed and most of all by grouping together you get a whacking discount

My own view is to decrease the cost of my electricity, at the moment the payments are small for those generated and sold on, so they are a bonus, but the estimate is that they could be as much as a third extra to my cost saving of using my own power. As the electricity cost is going up ( British Gas anticipate by £65 pa)

Plus use machines that use power whilst the sun shines,( washing machine, dishwasher, oven etc) rather than export power during the day and import power at night

My main benefit might be in the way we use power

Certainly at the moment I am getting a better return than from the bank. And hoping for a quicker return than anticipated

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

1 hour ago, hayfield said:

......Plus use machines that use power whilst the sun shines,( washing machine, dishwasher, oven etc) rather than export power during the day and import power at night

My main benefit might be in the way we use power

Certainly at the moment I am getting a better return than from the bank. And hoping for a quicker return than anticipated

How do you heat your house and your hot water John?

Do you anticipate buying an electric car at some point in the future?

There might be a better rate of return for your surplus generated electricity, rather than selling back to grid.