The non-railway and non-modelling social zone. Please ensure forum rules are adhered to in this area too!

Solar panels

hayfield

The way we live our modern lives now means we need a minimum constant supply of electricity to run our houses (fridges, freezers, intelligent devices and items on stand by). To me it seems sensible to build into new housing a minimum but expandable renewable energy devices, this could be extended into (large) extensions over certain sizes. There are certainly many cost savings in installing at least a basic infrastructure whilst the trades are on site.

This in itself would increase demand bringing down unit prices. If the basics were there then the householders could decide to extend these as and when they feel the need / afford to increase the capacity/size of the system. Or pay an extra amount to increase the size when buying the house

I can also see the extra benefits of having a battery within the system than I first realised, however the cost of these installations still outweigh the benefits when looking at it financially.

The other thing I have just realised is that the illustration was based on a charge of 16p a unit, soon electric prices are going up to an average of about 19p a unit, lets hope export prices increase by a similar amount 

• Like 1

5 hours ago, hayfield said:

The way we live our modern lives now means we need a minimum constant supply of electricity to run our houses (fridges, freezers, intelligent devices and items on stand by). To me it seems sensible to build into new housing a minimum but expandable renewable energy devices, this could be extended into (large) extensions over certain sizes.

Indeed, but it would be far more sensible if people could change their lifestyles so as to need less electricity.

Yes, I do know that's never going to happen :(

• Agree 2

1 hour ago, spikey said:

Indeed, but it would be far more sensible if people could change their lifestyles so as to need less electricity.

i thought in getting a smart meter my usage might change, but it never did

Certainly for the past week I am changing habits and the new game is to consider what and when we use things. 

I do get a bit fed up with being lectured but these eco activists who still use airlines and drive large expensive cars etc. Many should practice what they preach first 

• Agree 3

16 minutes ago, Michael Hodgson said:

Cooking with gas us less environmentally friendly as I understand it.

It doesn't take long on the internet to discover that pretty much anything can be proved to be either less environmentally friendly or more environmentally friendly than one thinks, depending on the agenda of the person or body putting forward the argument.

• Agree 4

• RMweb Gold
18 hours ago, spikey said:

I started using oil lamps in my garden instead of Electric lights, about 20 of them.

looks really nice, burns citronella oil, keeps the flies away, doing my bit for the environment…saving electric.

014062EE-23B0-4E57-8486-8418C3DAEC28.jpeg.752f0de67db3e1fe704451d01c11b450.jpeg

an idea 2000 years old, proven and predates any climate issues…

Edited by adb968008
  • Like 3

• 2 weeks later...

I have just started my 4th week with the solar panels, though we have been on holiday for 11 days so we would have used not very much power anyway. This month my bill have reduced greatly, during the first 3 weeks we have generated on average over 7.5kwh. Our projections were based on an average of 6kwh, I understand that in the winter the returns will be far less, however in the sunnier months no doubt it will be far more.

Just over two weeks ago (once the suppliers got paid) I had been given access to both a computer and phone app showing in real time what is being produced

Also I have changed to Octopus Energy as they pay a high rate for energy exported plus no exit penalties

Todays job is to start to find out what paperwork is required to start getting paid and why I have not received it

• Like 2

38 minutes ago, Graham108 said:

I understood all FIT payments were set by the Government

The FIT payment scheme ended for new customers at the end of 2019.

Octopus are paying for exported energy, under the SEG (Smart Export Guarantee).

Energy providers can either pay under the SEG and are also free to make their own payments in addition.

Electricity suppliers must offer at least one SEG tariff.

The scheme sets a minimum price paid per kWh, but no upper tariff cap.

I think there's a max you can sell back?

Edited by Ron Ron Ron

20 minutes ago, Graham108 said:

I understood all FIT payments were set by the Government

I am not too up on what is called what, but the system has changed, now the electrical companies/ UK Power have to accept exported power of up to 3kw unless higher amounts have been prior agreed. However there is no set price, then you have to look at what is paid when. You get the most if you export from your batteries after dark

If I stayed with British Gas they would have paid me 3.2p per kwh, Octopus pays 5.5p per kwh, plus Octopus came up better on the price of both gas and electricity. May not be the cheapest but they are still in business. As it happens I have overpaid British Gas £160 and that is without this months payments, I will transfer this to my Octopus account as I will start spending more on gas than my monthly payment

Still waiting for Network Power to send an email acknowledging I can export power 

I have just had a look at what was projected and I am running at 30% above the expected average and its September

I seem to be getting a saving on electric use twice than the anticipated

My income looks to be twice the average also

OK its early days, I have had the system up and running for 24 days, I have not been through winter yet, nor have I been through summer.  but with this short sprint rather than getting an average return of 7.6% my savings and income is double this number. A good start which I hope continues

• Like 3

The past couple of days of poor weather coupled with Octopus energy website which shows half hourly usage shows the value of the panels. Even though light level have been poor and  shortening they are still saving a bit of money

As I said British Gas owe me £160 so I thought I would check my bank account to see if they returned my money. My contract ended on the 25th not only have they not returned my money, but they have taken another £120+ from my account on the 28th 3 days after my account ceased. I will be having words with them on Monday. The fact is I have a smart meter so they know in real-time how my account stands, plus they had agreed the final readings with Octopus days ago.

Octopus seem to be right on the ball, my transfer is complete and passed the cooling off stage, plus as my daughter changed to them we both have shared £50 each and my export agreement is nearly complete. I may need to speak with Network Power about who owes me what for the first months production which they said I would be paid for.

Certainly at the moment Octopus has come out best as they are seemingly on the ball

On the other hand whilst the installation was very good with the installers their admin and sales team are not to the same standard, I think I will have a word with Essex Together only to give them feedback on my experience, which was good but could have been better in certain instances. One thing I think is they should have a schedule of what should be happening when, and a guild of what to do and when to sort out the energy export.

I must say on the whole a very positive experience, even when we are entering the bleak season  

• Like 3
  • Informative/Useful 1

• RMweb Gold
On 12/09/2021 at 09:31, 30801 said:

Saw this little development yesterday. Solar tiles all round.

IMG_1604.jpg.bc397fe662f3c3cb02830e99ad6a1382.jpg

These were made to compliment Marley Modern tiles. The rationale being that they replace every 1.5 tiles, or, 2 panels=3 tiles. I quite like it, as they get installed at the roofing stage, and they don't alter the roof profile, which local councils don't always like. 

• Like 1

Our solar panels are on the single story extension, not as efficient buy hardly noticeable when in the garden. Most comments to date are very favourable from visitors, much better looking than expected

When in Cornwall we saw one installation where the tiles were removed and the panels were inset into the roof being level with the tiles, they looked very good and in my opinion better than the tile shaped panels. Why try and make something look what its not ?

• RMweb Gold
4 minutes ago, hayfield said:

Our solar panels are on the single story extension, not as efficient buy hardly noticeable when in the garden. Most comments to date are very favourable from visitors, much better looking than expected

When in Cornwall we saw one installation where the tiles were removed and the panels were inset into the roof being level with the tiles, they looked very good and in my opinion better than the tile shaped panels. Why try and make something look what its not ?

Yes indeed. There's a couple of installations that are in use on the IoW. From 50 metres, you can't tell they're there. 

The sun has finally come out and is shining and is producing 2kw and a message from Octopus that they are receiving export readings. 

Softens the blow of the upcoming tariff increase, but certainly improves the return on our investment over the projected cost of 16p per KWH as Novembers tariff is nearly 100% more

• Like 2
  • Informative/Useful 1

• RMweb Gold
1 hour ago, hayfield said:

The sun has finally come out and is shining and is producing 2kw and a message from Octopus that they are receiving export readings.

The surveyor is coming tomorrow to look at our roof. The main thing stopping me in the past was the thought of clearing the loft. That has been done now. Considerably more emptied than I assume even the surveyor would need.  I assume he just wants to see the joists and possible inverter locations. Anyway I will report back what happens. 
Tony

4 hours ago, Tony_S said:

The surveyor is coming tomorrow to look at our roof. The main thing stopping me in the past was the thought of clearing the loft. That has been done now. Considerably more emptied than I assume even the surveyor would need.  I assume he just wants to see the joists and possible inverter locations. Anyway I will report back what happens. 
Tony

Its basically to see if the roof can support the extra weight of the panels and if there is space for the invertor. As we decided only to have panels on the new single story roof the survey was a total waste of time as far as the loft part of the survey, it was not used

The main thing is to get the panels installed, I had to keep reminding/chasing up the installers prior to installation

• Thanks 1

4 hours ago, Michael Hodgson said:

... or what happens if you have to go to work in the morning having forgotten to turn off the lights downstairs etc?

I thought that was what Alexa was for..........

(BTW, my comment was TIC & not meant to be taken seriously !)

Edited by SamThomas
  • Like 1