Dapol announce 'OO' OLE

Andy Y

Well i wonder if Dapol are any nearer to releasing any pics of the new items even ep samples?

Will bachmanns class 90 give Dapol a chivvy along to go through with getting the new masts on the market as the two combined will go quite some way in building up the ac overhead 00 gauge market. I could understand Dapol possibly canning the catenary had the 90 not been announced but i think the fact it has ought to give Dapol much greater confidence on going ahead.....last i heard from when dave jones was the man is that the design work had reached the toolroom but its gone very quiet since and that was ages ago....

Hattons are listing some Dapol Products, im assuming on a super advance pre order, however these are different to previous hints on here from Dave of what they are looking to bring out including the tension weight mast. It would be good to get an update as im approaching the need for an OLE and the bought vs make myself debacle. 

http://www.ehattons.com/stocklist/1000396/1000588/1000790/0/Dapol_OO_Gauge_1_76_Scale_Cables_Wires/prodlist.aspx

http://www.ehattons.com/stocklist/1000396/1000588/1000649/0/Dapol_OO_Gauge_1_76_Scale_Man_made_scenic_structure_railway_related/prodlist.aspx

Thats not the full list they had up a few months back. Its only the wires no headspans masts or tensioners listed there.....maybe.

I did say not to assume these new items will see the light of day until weve seen some samples and in terms of a new product being released this has to be one of the most slowest painfully slow in fact releases....

• 9 months later...

Feeling somewhat deflated at not hearing of progress on the OHL system from Dapol.

If they are not proceeding I would like to know - if they are, then It would be good to know what is happening.

It is ages (years actually) since I bought some masts which were the first part of a system I understood would followed on. Yes I know some will say build yourself, but it isn't really the point. We got part of a system/kit then nothing to follow on. Maybe if Dapol were to say they are not proceeding, another manufacturer might pick up the mantle.

Feeling somewhat deflated at not hearing of progress on the OHL system from Dapol.

If they are not proceeding I would like to know - if they are, then It would be good to know what is happening.

Why not contact Dapol directly rather than rant on here to people who know as much as you do. If you get an answer from Dapol then post it for all to see.

• RMweb Premium

Why not contact Dapol directly rather than rant on here to people who know as much as you do. If you get an answer from Dapol then post it for all to see.

Hi Taz

That is a good idea

It is ages (years actually) since I bought some masts which were the first part of a system I understood would followed on. Yes I know some will say build yourself, but it isn't really the point. We got part of a system/kit then nothing to follow on. Maybe if Dapol were to say they are not proceeding, another manufacturer might pick up the mantle.

Hi Opelsi

While agreeing with Tase, isn't good to let your feelings be vented in public sometimes.

It would have been good had Dapol thought about what would be needed to do a series of Mk3 cantilever mast, a mid point anchor, an overlap, some reduced system height mast for going under bridges, platform cantilevers, and masts suitable for points and crossings.  Then move on to headspan equipment.

• 5 months later...

The catenary wires have been released see ay76 layout update 51 on you tube.

Thanks for posting that information.

Have looked at the video and  the wires look good from normal viewing distances - not quite so intrusive as the Sommerfelt ones.  Must check them out "in the flesh" but looks like I 'll be getting some soon!

Does anyone know if they are, or can be, electrically connected? 

Screen shot from ay76 layout update 51:

Dapol%20OLE.jpg

Thanks for posting that.

From memory seeing the Dapol masts when they were released a couple of years back, I thought the tensioning arms were pretty fine.

So it all should look pretty good, especially if they release multitrack lattice gantries as well.

Dapol, Hornby, Rapido or someone - now's your chance......new 86's and 87's please, and if you can get them out around the same time as the Bachmann 90 there will be a lot of very happy modellers out here (requiring second mortgages!).

• RMweb Gold

it would look better if the contact wire loops were hooked over the registration arm instead of left hanging below it.

Andi

Yes - it looks as though they are designed to hook over the registration arm as the contact wires splay downward noticeably in the photo.

cheers

Ben A.

Still no sign as to when the multiple headspans will be launched. At the moment I got a pack of the wires in the longest sections to help reduce the number of headspans and gantries I'll have to make to accommodate this new product. I gotta admit they are fabulous and really add the extra bit of detail when it comes to Overhead systems.

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

Further to Titans' post, has anyone else seen the wires "in the flesh" or better still has anyone used any yet?  Was there a display at the NEC?  Unfortunately I couldn't go this year.

My local model shop doesn't have them and I'm a bit reluctant to order a quantity from Hattons before I see them.

Maybe there will be a magazine review soon?

• 1 month later...
  • RMweb Gold

was there any news on Dapol releasing the 2, 3 and 4 track portals? they said further back in the thread that they were planning to...

I visited the Dapol stand during the Warley exhibition and had a chat with one of their rep's regarding the status and plans of the OHLE range .....

He apologised for the slow release of the wires, but then stated that the design of the portals was progressing, that they would be modular, therefore able to be extended/shortened to suit a variety of track configurations, then he pointed me to the tv screen that had a variety of screen shots of the range/progress of other items ... and a screenshot of CAD images of the OHLE portals appeared.

I understand that Dapol are attending the exhibition at Telford during Feb 20th and 21st. If I attend, I'll ask them for a progress update and will report back on here.

• 1 month later...

A quick search on google shows they are actually very different in regard to the layout and angles of the various arms.  I had thought about how easy it would be to modify these to be more like the original wcml ones, but I suspect that by the time everything is chopped about it might be as  easy to buy some insulators and start from scratch,  I suppose it's a case of deciding what compromise you're prepared to live with.  Either the ease of having the Dapol modern ones or the hassle of building your old.  Another thing is that you soon discover that almost every other mast/gantry/portal in stations seems to be unique!  Personally I'd say if you're into building your own track these probably aren't accurate enough but if you're using peco track then it's a decent enough compromise.  And it's cheap enough to bin if they bring out better/more accurate stuff (probably much ) later

A quick search on google shows they are actually very different in regard to the layout and angles of the various arms.  I had thought about how easy it would be to modify these to be more like the original wcml ones, but I suspect that by the time everything is chopped about it might be as  easy to buy some insulators and start from scratch,  I suppose it's a case of deciding what compromise you're prepared to live with.  Either the ease of having the Dapol modern ones or the hassle of building your old.  Another thing is that you soon discover that almost every other mast/gantry/portal in stations seems to be unique!  Personally I'd say if you're into building your own track these probably aren't accurate enough but if you're using peco track then it's a decent enough compromise.  And it's cheap enough to bin if they bring out better/more accurate stuff (probably much ) later

Yes using Peco Streamline hoping they would not be that different from the original ones, may have to wait to see if they produce these, Dapol take note, thanks.

Archived