REALTRACK models announce Class 143 and Class 144

Andy Y

The REALTRACK 143 is - or was - a nice model with nice details. However to fit it with decoder it was quite difficult to get apart. When it finally came apart bits and pieces fell apart. Then those horrible suspension springs were very very difficult to keep in place while reassembling. Once together it ran beautifully until it stopped on track and wouldn’t go again. Researching this I found multiple wires had come adrift in the inter coach  coupling system.

Charlie had  it back for several months and charged me for the repair and once it did come back it lasted only a few weeks until the same problem again.

It is has now been back with Charlie again for the last few months and he shows no interest in repairing it and doesn’t ever respond to emails.

I could go on ……..

• Like 1
  • Agree 1

22 minutes ago, Malcolm Glover said:

The REALTRACK 143 is - or was - a nice model with nice details. However to fit it with decoder it was quite difficult to get apart. When it finally came apart bits and pieces fell apart. Then those horrible suspension springs were very very difficult to keep in place while reassembling. Once together it ran beautifully until it stopped on track and wouldn’t go again. Researching this I found multiple wires had come adrift in the inter coach  coupling system.

Charlie had  it back for several months and charged me for the repair and once it did come back it lasted only a few weeks until the same problem again.

It is has now been back with Charlie again for the last few months and he shows no interest in repairing it and doesn’t ever respond to emails.

I could go on ……..

Do you have first radius points or curves ?       

Thats what usually happens 

• Agree 1
  • Interesting/Thought-provoking 1

On 18/02/2023 at 10:50, JackB95 said:

My 143 stopped moving suddenly. Quick investigation found a motor wire had come off in the coupling. A re-solder job was done and back up and running. Don't know how long that'll last given the wiring was quite tight.

If you are running on Radius 1 trackwork we suggest making all 4 outer wires 5mm longer, as the coupling on Radius 1 , especially points stretches them too much,   Charlie

Edited by charliepetty
  • Informative/Useful 1

1 minute ago, charliepetty said:

If you are runnibg on Radius 1 trackwork we suggest making all 4 outer wires 5mm longer, as the coupling on Radius 1 , especially points stretches them too much,   Charlie

All Peco streamline pointwork with nothing tighter than 2nd radius for me 

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...
  • RMweb Premium
On 16/02/2023 at 13:33, big jim said:

I might be putting by WYPTA up on eBay at some point, I got it from Charlie as a non runner at warley but it’s working fine, possibly just tail lights not working on DCC,  I picked up a northern one at Doncaster so will probably replace the WY one with it when I can build up the courage to get the chip back out! 

hindsight is a great thing but had I known you were after one I’d have picked you one up! 

Thanks. 

I’ve got a real odd ball 144, where a previous owner has swapped the chassis, so WYPTE Metro red and silver with blue seats from a Northern liveried version. At the time 144s where very hard to find.

The 144 is missed out on, came back on a second chance offer, so acquired it. But it’s a problem child. Shorts out when either car is placed on the track to create a set . Lot of evidence of tinkering. But the motor works fine, although suspect the head/tail light LED board is blown, as the Red LEDs have failed. A bit of duff purchase as still not got the bottom of the issues. The connector between could be the issue. 

Edited by richierich
  • Friendly/supportive 1

• RMweb Premium

Been working on the recent eBay purchase 144. 

Seems to be a problem in the dummy car, either the circuit board or multi-pin connector not supplying power to the motor. 

It’s also interesting on both these 144s I’m tinkering with the motor cars have failed red LED tail lights. 

Anyway , the WYPTA Metro 144 seem to have a thin printed circuit board, and wondering which is a pin 1 on the 8 pin DCC socket. 

86BDA612-CFAA-40E4-8443-419DCC6DBF3B.jpeg

• Like 1

Can anyone confirm whether Realtrack ever produced the 143s in GWR green livery? I know a pair were announced for limited production (and the links still exist on the Realtrack website) but don’t know if they were ever actually produced?

• Like 1

IIRC they were announced - then COVID struck which resulted in this next batch being put on the back burner so they haven’t  (as yet) been manufactured. I’m sure Charlie will confirm soon 👍

• Like 2

• 1 month later...

More bad news for Realtrack. I really feel for them. EFE’s second run is as new Provincial 143 and WYPTE 144. The 144 especially something lots of us have been waiting for. 

• Like 3
  • Agree 1

• RMweb Gold
On 19/02/2023 at 20:59, charliepetty said:

If you are runnibg on Radius 1 trackwork we suggest making all 4 outer wires 5mm longer, as the coupling on Radius 1 , especially points stretches them too much,   Charlie

@charliepetty dont suppose you have a diagram or list of which wires attach to which solder tag on the coupling as multiple wires have snapped off on mine while chipping it up and i dont know where to attempt to resolder them back to?

• Like 2

• 3 months later...
  • RMweb Premium
On 03/05/2023 at 20:50, big jim said:

@charliepetty dont suppose you have a diagram or list of which wires attach to which solder tag on the coupling as multiple wires have snapped off on mine while chipping it up and i dont know where to attempt to resolder them back to?

I guess we’ll have to work out the pin outs of the connector for ourselves.

• Like 1

• RMweb Gold
29 minutes ago, richierich said:

I guess we’ll have to work out the pin outs of the connector for ourselves.

I’ve  given up on fixing it, it’s up on eBay at the moment for spares or repair if anyone else fancies having a go! 

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/386046739571?mkcid=16&mkevt=1&mkrid=711-127632-2357-0&ssspo=TJORlFVXTTy&sssrc=2051273&ssuid=TJORlFVXTTy&var=&widget_ver=artemis&media=COPY

• Friendly/supportive 1

• RMweb Premium
9 hours ago, big jim said:

I’ve  given up on fixing it, it’s up on eBay at the moment for spares or repair if anyone else fancies having a go! 

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/386046739571?mkcid=16&mkevt=1&mkrid=711-127632-2357-0&ssspo=TJORlFVXTTy&sssrc=2051273&ssuid=TJORlFVXTTy&var=&widget_ver=artemis&media=COPY

Already on my watch list. 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

• RMweb Premium
12 hours ago, big jim said:

i've put in a bid.

• Thanks 1

It may have been mentioned somewhere down the line but just thought I’d ask the question - Is there any more FGW ‘local lines’ 143’s in the pipeline at all and also, the GWR ones would be very welcome too! 

Just throwing suggestions around but have you guys ever thought of doing a twin pack? As I’ve quite often seen the 143’s coupled together running in pairs, maybe one of the units could just be a ‘dummy’ model with no motor to keep price reasonable.

• Like 1

• 3 months later...
  • 4 weeks later...