SE&CR 5 and 7 plank open wagons.

rapidoandy

15 minutes ago, 45655 said:

I hadn't appreciated that the SECR was building wagons with brakes acting on only one side this late in the day.

I am not sure what point you are making. The basic Morton brake (fitted to LMS vehicles built into the 1940s) had only 2 blocks on one side.

Nice to be back!

Best regards,

Martin

A lovely and well detailed model. Very easily converted to p4. Just replace the wheels/axles and job done. Brakes line up wonderfully and just need a slight scrape with a scalpel to enable very free running curtesy of the metal bearings. 

Regards Paul

32579478-E1E6-47D6-96CC-2C4AACCEEE9E.jpeg

• Like 5

1 hour ago, 45655 said:

I ended up buying rather more of these than I originally intended...

For what it's worth I'm very impressed.  They have a nice bit of weight to them and run well, and the brake gear in particular is exquisite.  I hadn't appreciated that the SECR was building wagons with brakes acting on only one side this late in the day.

The SR brown colour is a bit brighter than Bachmann's and Kernow's but I'm reminded of the comment by a Lancing paint shop foreman (quoted in one of the SR wagons books) that this was "the same as Pullman umber".

I am however going to have to do some serious weathering as they would never have looked so pristine in real life!

Thank you for the comments.

Interestingly we specified exactly the same shade as Kernows Road Van for the SR brown - even in the paint samples I ordered of "standard" colours there was variation. That said I personally like a bit of colour variation in my models as it looks better to my eye.

Andy

• Like 2
  • Agree 1

It's good to see accurate models of steam-age wagons and I am very impressed with the standard of modelling achieved, also the free-running qualities.  I too feel that some degree of weathering is required to tone down the SR brown livery, and would suggest the factory blackening of wheel sets in future.

Plse can I request some prototypes from north of the Thames and/or RCH designs for future models?

• Like 1
  • Agree 2

Ive spotted a minor assembly error on the 5 planks, the non self contained buffers on the 5 Planks have been fitted so the ribs don't align to make a vertical/horizontal cross like +. Wondering if there isn't a square peg on the buffers so they can be fitted at any angle?

Very minor issue and doesn't detract from them being stunning models.

Matt

• Like 1

• RMweb Gold
3 hours ago, rapidoandy said:

Hopefully many of you will have received your SR liveried  wagons. We would love to know what you think and see your photos of them on your layout

DSCN8545.JPG.94a94eea0d054ee0370d3662c233a6b8.JPG

• Like 6

• RMweb Premium
5 hours ago, Pre Grouping fan said:

Ive spotted a minor assembly error on the 5 planks, the non self contained buffers on the 5 Planks have been fitted so the ribs don't align to make a vertical/horizontal cross like +. Wondering if there isn't a square peg on the buffers so they can be fitted at any angle?

Matt

4 hours ago, Wickham Green too said:

Maybe an assembly error with your eyesight - there are only three ribs !

( I have the bodies now from Lanarkshire to fit spring - self contained - buffers to the others ..... I'm not sure how I'm going to tackle these ones, tho'.)

Thanks for confirming that @Wickham Green too - having seen the post from @Pre Grouping fan I looked at mine really closely and was sure I couldn't see four ribs.  Now whether there should be four ribs, I don't know...

• Like 1

11 minutes ago, 3rd Rail Exile said:

Thanks for confirming that @Wickham Green too - having seen the post from @Pre Grouping fan I looked at mine really closely and was sure I couldn't see four ribs.  Now whether there should be four ribs, I don't know...

The works drawings show three ribs…so that is what we copied. Photos also concur with that.

Andy

• Like 3

No, three's yer limit .................... hence the 'problem' with springing the buffers - Lanarkshire do a few four-rib options but they're no use for that wagon !

While I'm on ; EM gauge conversion did need a slice taken off the brakeshoes as McW found for P4 - I very nearly lost one of the bearings in the process. One SLIGHT criticism ; the seven-planker has no option for parking the sheet rail ( where provided ) on the top of the wagon side when not in use ....... obviously an extra complication to make it thus.

Edited by Wickham Green too
  • Like 2

6 hours ago, Pre Grouping fan said:

Matt

Well, I DO have a problem with my eyesight and I have to confess to assuming that the Bluebell example had 4-rib buffers......  BUT, having looked through some of the pics in the SECR volume of the Southern Wagons series, plus volume 5 you may find that, contrary to both our expectations, and even if the buffer castings only had 3 ribs, they were not always fitted with the ribs vertically/horizontally! You need to see the pics to believe it!

Best regards,

Martin

• Like 1
  • Informative/Useful 1

9 hours ago, MartinTrucks said:

I am not sure what point you are making. The basic Morton brake (fitted to LMS vehicles built into the 1940s) had only 2 blocks on one side.

Nice to be back!

Best regards,

Martin

The BR steel 16t mineral wagon diagram 1/108 only has brake blocks on one side.

Chris KT

• Like 1

Received my BR versions of each one earlier this week. Excellent. Only criticism is that using the tension lock couplings as fitted leaves a longer gap between wagons than on most other rtr stock. Will have to look to replace them with something that gives more of a close-coupled effect.

• Informative/Useful 1

• RMweb Premium
19 minutes ago, prtrainman said:

Received my BR versions of each one earlier this week. Excellent. Only criticism is that using the tension lock couplings as fitted leaves a longer gap between wagons than on most other rtr stock. Will have to look to replace them with something that gives more of a close-coupled effect.

If the pocket is removable you could trim the outer face back then shorten the tails of the coupling which goes into it. A spot of PVA to hold the coupling in the pocket and viola! closer coupling achieved

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

• RMweb Gold
14 minutes ago, Wickham Green too said:

Sorry - should have said three equally-spaced ribs .................. with the outer one horizontal and inner pair 60 degrees off vertical. 😕

Probably best to stick with the self-contained buffer version if your eyesight is good enough to notice this!

The thought does occur that the pictures captions in Vol.3 of Southern wagons all seem to be of SECR-built vehicles.

The Southern Railway adopted RCH Standard 4-rib buffers for their own designs. Would they have also been fitted to those wagons they built to the former SECR pattern (Dia,1349) ?

John

• RMweb Gold
6 minutes ago, Wickham Green too said:

Dia.1349 ( plate 75 ) had self-contained buffers .......................... I think it's a fair bet that RCH buffers only appeared with the adoption of RCH standard underframes ( principally 16'6'' & 17'6'' ).

Thanks, but the S/C buffers fitted via the rectangular RCH 4-bolt pattern rather than the circular 3-bolt SECR mounting, hence my query.

John

I'm not sure a four-bolt pattern can be attributed to the RCH as many wagons on many different railways had four-bolt buffers prior to the RCH 1923 Standard ........ and that Standard, itself, would have been an assimilation of 'best practice' among existing designs. ( The SECR self-contained buffer seems to have arrived with Lionel Lynes from Swindon - where it was introduced in 1910.)

• RMweb Gold
20 hours ago, MartinTrucks said:

Nice to be back!

Best regards,

Martin

Thanks for your comment, which sent me scurrying off to revisit the "Illustrated History of Southern Wagons" series.

It appears that lift-link or Morton (clutch) type brakes with four rather than two blocks were generally only used on vacuum fitted wagons.  The SECR retrofitted 50 of the diagram 1347 5-plank wagons with vacuum brakes and four blocks for use between London, Folkestone and Dover.  These can be identified by a low level tie bar between the W irons but have not (yet) been modelled by Rapido.  None of the 7 plank wagons was so fitted.

It surprises me a bit that four block brakes don't seem to have become more general  but there we are.  However, as the 1920s went on the SR start to equip unfitted wagons with two independent sets of two block brakes, which they called the "Freighter" brake, just to confuse the issue...

None of this, of course, reflects in any way on Rapido's superb models.  They have obviously taken a great deal of trouble to get them right.

Keith.

• RMweb Premium
16 hours ago, Mr chapman said:

They look lovely, just waiting on the vans :) Has anyone tried one over a kadee magnet? I'm wondering how magnetic the wheels are. 

Both wheels and axles are non-magnetic. 👍

• Informative/Useful 1

Ok I finally took them out of the boxes.

Here we are with all 6 of the SECR variants behind an SECR grey C class which is probably the most apt RTR loco for these out there.

Anyone counting will note 8 wagons in the rake, and yes, the first two are their Cambrian kit equivalents.

Finally a rather prophetic - still to be completed - brake van has been placed behind the train.

SECR_10.jpg

SECR_11.jpg

SECR_12.jpg

SECR_14.jpg

SECR_15.jpg

SECR_16.jpg

• Like 10