Interesting and inspiring photos from Flickr....

• RMweb Premium

The shape of the cab & bonnet suggests it is a Thomas Hill (Rotherham) product, but I don't know exactly which one. (It may be a rebuild of an earlier Sentinel or Rolls Royce loco)

Some other similar locos from Flickr:

https://www.flickr.com/photos/camperdown/5676879108/

https://www.flickr.com/photos/52932769@N05/50692666378/

I hope this helps in a more definite identification .

• RMweb Premium
1 hour ago, Re6/6 said:

Can anyone identify this loco please?

According to my 1987 IRS handbook, it looks like a Rolls Royce, built at the Sentinel Works at Shrewsbury, works number 10274 built in 1968. Rolls Royce took over from Sentinel.

Hope this helps.

Douglas

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1
  • Informative/Useful 1

• RMweb Premium

This one ex-Corby possibly:

Steelman 38

Flickr image from DeanM66A showing Corby's 38 and photo text suggesting this went to Wirksworth in 1980.

And also quotes the works no.10274 given by drjcontroller above which would seem to clinch it. 

The current Ecclesbourne Railway resident L J Breeze is also ex-Corby, but is 10275 apparently.

Simon

Edited by 65179
  • Like 10
  • Thanks 1
  • Informative/Useful 1

• RMweb Gold
On 10/06/2023 at 05:50, 03060 said:

Well I wasn't expecting that !

A super find @woodenhead , I followed the link and found this one next to it :

50010, 1975 taken by Brian Roberts, a couple of interesting comments under the photo on the Flickr site.

I remember the 50s working Bidston Dock - Fiddlers Ferry via Rock Ferry coal trains, 50012 is one which springs to mind. (aside from 021 which I saw at Rock Ferry)

• Informative/Useful 2

• RMweb Premium

Despite the looks, Mars is an ex-cl.501 vehicle.

And of course, the one behind (the erstwhile Caroline), an ex-Hastings buffet car.

The BR(SR) loved their Departmental cut'n'shut conversions!

• Like 4
  • Informative/Useful 1

• RMweb Gold
1 hour ago, keefer said:

Despite the looks, Mars is an ex-cl.501 vehicle.

And of course, the one behind (the erstwhile Caroline), an ex-Hastings buffet car.

The BR(SR) loved their Departmental cut'n'shut conversions!

Was that powered? At one time the saloon had shoe gear for heating and battery charging but they seem to have been removed in this picture but Mars has ETH jumpers so wonder if this was why it was there but the 33 also had them

• RMweb Premium

Mars is on B5(S) bogies so I would assume it does not have traction motors and the shoe-beams are there to provide power for the onboard test/control eqpt. It had full driving controls (1963-type?) and the necessary jumpers etc. on the 'inner' end for coupling to various SR stock.

One particular use was during commissioning tests on the 4CEPs after their 1980s heavy refurb/rebuild.

IIRC Caroline similarly had unpowered bogies but with retractable shoe-gear, for supplying power for heating/lighting. If no 3rd rail supply was available then it needed ETH from the loco.

Edited by keefer
  • Agree 1
  • Informative/Useful 1
  • Interesting/Thought-provoking 1