RMweb

Interesting and inspiring photos from Flickr....

4 minutes ago, scottystitch said:

47.528 south of Aberdeen. Sep'83.

Aplethora of interesting pieces of roling stock in this view of Craiginches.

Assuming the 47 (push pull in 1983?) is not running wrong line, the caption is incorrect and the train is approaching Aberdeen rather than departing.

Other than the two Mk3 workings, Glasgow to Aberdeen didn't become push-pull until May 1985.

(The loco is a 47/4 anyway, not a 47/7, so electric heating but no push-pull capabilities.)

• Like 2

8 minutes ago, scottystitch said:

47.528 south of Aberdeen. Sep'83.

Aplethora of interesting pieces of roling stock in this view of Craiginches.

Assuming the 47 (push pull in 1983?) is not running wrong line, the caption is incorrect and the train is approaching Aberdeen rather than departing.

It’s not actually a push-pull 47/7 as there’s no RCH cables on the front. I can’t be certain on the small screen on my phone but it looks like standard 47/4 47528?

Edited by Cowley 47521
Hexagon beat me to it!
  • Like 3
  • Agree 1

• RMweb Gold

Of course it's not, thanks both.  It was the poster's suggestion it was leaving Aberdeen made act with caution.  As you say not push pull and iIknow the location very well so it's definitely approaching Aberdeen.

Best

Scott.

• Like 2
  • Agree 1

• RMweb Gold
24 minutes ago, scottystitch said:

20.156 on PW Train - Blackford. Aug'83.

EE TYpe 1s top and tail a track panel train at Blackford.

Model that and watch the know-it-alls shake their heads and grumble!

• Like 4
  • Funny 1

• RMweb Premium
3 hours ago, D7063 said:

Is it just me, or are there a lot of people in the cab of the warship?

Maybe drivers hitching a ride light-engine back to Old Oak?

• Interesting/Thought-provoking 1

17 hours ago, montyburns56 said:

In Germany they have the Christmas tradition of Krampus, in the UK we have the Christmas tradition of Grampus.

Tyseley 1985 by Geoff Barrow

The lost wagon (gbw,85/06/06)

He'll be accelerating like Billyo after the permanent 20mph restriction round the sharp curve at Bordersley Junction, hoping he doesn't get two yellows at Widney Manor for the busy level crossing at Bentley Heath!

• Like 4

• RMweb Gold
13 hours ago, keefer said:

Maybe drivers hitching a ride light-engine back to Old Oak?

No - it's heading into Paddington, no doubt to work a train.  If it's come from Old Oak it might be other footplate men getting a ride or it might have come off Ranelagh Bridge and some chaps are saving themselves a walk.  Looks like oo many for a tutoring session so most likely men cadging a ride.

• Thanks 1
  • Informative/Useful 1

• RMweb Gold
20 hours ago, rodent279 said:

Model that and watch the know-it-alls shake their heads and grumble!

For completeness and context, it appears it was double headed for transit to and from the work area and then top and tailed for the work?

Here are the two Type 1s getting together.  Interestingly, not nose to nose:

20.156 & 20.197 at Blackford. Aug'83.

• Like 12
  • Informative/Useful 2
  • Interesting/Thought-provoking 2

• RMweb Gold
3 minutes ago, scottystitch said:

For completeness and context, it appears it was double headed for transit to and from the work area and then top and tailed for the work?

Here are the two Type 1s getting together.  Interestingly, not nose to nose:

20.156 & 20.197 at Blackford. Aug'83.

Still a rare combination, though not unknown.

• Agree 3

On 01/01/2024 at 19:03, D7063 said:

Is it just me, or are there a lot of people in the cab of the warship?

Maybe they’re just wanting to underline the Clan? 😛 

In all seriousness I have 2 questions the first being what’s the 72xxx doing at Padd?
The second being what’s with the lamp on the back of the tender? Light engine headcode not removed? 

• Like 2

• RMweb Premium
On 02/01/2024 at 18:31, montyburns56 said:

Locke's Sidings 1980 by Chris

Lockes Sidings - then

I realise that it's Great Central (MS&L) and not Great Eastern but that 4-way point is the sort of thing which one always thinks is more likely in the swede growing counties.

David

• Like 2

On 01/01/2024 at 17:03, scottystitch said:

Cland and Warship at Paddington

72006 Clan Mackenzie with Warship D853 Thruster at Paddington Dec'63.

I was there and on the train.My first ever rail tour Dec '63. Fourteen years old travelling with school friends and accompanied by one of their mothers!!

The occasion was a Home Counties Railway Society visit to Swindon works. 72006 was brought down from Scotland specially for the event. Probably the furthest South a clan has been. It was a very murky, foggy day, not good for photography, and the engine's performance on the journey was mediocre.

Swindon were nolonger building steam engines but the amazing A Shop was still in use building new diesels, Westerns?, and repairing steam locos. A few ex works locos were outside awaiting return to their depots

I subsequently saw 72006 again at Cowlairs works in August 1964. A new build clan to be called Hengist, one of the proposed names I believe for further members of the class the order for which was cancelled, has been under construction for some while but is only making slow progress.

A memorable day and the first of as many railtours as pocket money would allow both with the HCRS and LCGB.

• Like 13
  • Informative/Useful 1

1 hour ago, Keith Turbutt said:

I was there and on the train.My first ever rail tour Dec '63. Fourteen years old travelling with school friends and accompanied by one of their mothers!!

The occasion was a Home Counties Railway Society visit to Swindon works. 72006 was brought down from Scotland specially for the event. Probably the furthest South a clan has been. It was a very murky, foggy day, not good for photography, and the engine's performance on the journey was mediocre.

Swindon were nolonger building steam engines but the amazing A Shop was still in use building new diesels, Westerns?, and repairing steam locos. A few ex works locos were outside awaiting return to their depots

I subsequently saw 72006 again at Cowlairs works in August 1964. A new build clan to be called Hengist, one of the proposed names I believe for further members of the class the order for which was cancelled, has been under construction for some while but is only making slow progress.

A memorable day and the first of as many railtours as pocket money would allow both with the HCRS and LCGB.

Not quite as one was actually allocated to Stratford!

Seems to a bit of a myth that they only worked in Scotland even though half the class were shedded in Carlisle. They regularly got as far south as Birmingham and there is evidence they worked to South Wales and Bristol when deputising for Jubilees or Patriots.

Here's one at Shrewsbury probably after working one of those trains to Wales.

https://railway-photography.smugmug.com/BRStandardSteam/BR-Standard-Clan-Class/7200272003-Built-June-1952/i-ZZtJNd4/A

Jason

Edited by Steamport Southport
  • Like 5

• RMweb Premium
On 04/01/2024 at 09:33, Michael Edge said:

The main line here is the Midland, sidings are NCB though.

Thanks for the clarification but why is the signalbox not of Midland origin?

David