The non-railway and non-modelling social zone. Please ensure forum rules are adhered to in this area too!

Things that make you feel old!

Coldgunner

6 hours ago, BR60103 said:

Finding that the subway cars that replaced the ones I rode to work are being replaced.

On a similar note, seeing Newcastle Metro stock, which I rode on when it was brand new, and which seemed astoundingly spiffy and modern, described as old and outdated. Ditto Sprinter DMUs.

Seeing buildings you watched go up demolished as obsolete.

• Like 5
  • Agree 2

3 minutes ago, PatB said:

On a similar note, seeing Newcastle Metro stock, which I rode on when it was brand new, and which seemed astoundingly spiffy and modern, described as old and outdated. Ditto Sprinter DMUs.

My dad worked on the construction of the first nuclear power station in Scotland - Chapelcross, near Annan, and when I first learned to ride a bike I decided to visit him there, giving the security guard a problem.   I was surprised a few years ago when a friend who worked in the industry send me a link to a clip of the cooling towers coming down.   

As for the Metro, I said I'll use it when it opens to visit my Aunty Ella - unfortunately she died before then and I've still not travelled on it.  My parents used to commute from West Monkseaton to Longbenton when that line was still using the NER electrics!

• Like 4

This made me feel old this weekend.

20210613_175827.jpg.f73fbbb30915cbe14c1526e8a9f05c83.jpg

Bridgnorth on Sunday evening. The first engine I ever 'spotted', the first time I was taken trainspotting by a mate, was a Hoover at New Street, in 1978. I still can't get used to diesels on the Heritage railways.

• Like 7
  • Agree 1

11 minutes ago, alastairq said:

That all the buses I first drove, have examples in 'preservation?'

Or that today folk think a Morris Oxford is brilliant???

It does seem to be a feature of ageing, that one finds oneself mystified by the reverence shown towards what one remembers as pretty awful vehicles. I now know what my father felt like at old vehicle shows :D.

• Funny 4

I was playing The Stone Roses album in the car. Neither of my kids were impressed. I realised that it wasn't the equivalent of my parent playing the Beatles to me at the same age, but playing Dean Martin from 10 years earlier.

• Like 3

1 hour ago, PatB said:

As a student, for a couple of summers I worked on building sites. One site included several blocks of low flats - up to 7 storeys on a sloping site. Not only have they all been demolished, but some of the trees that established themselves on the cleared ground are now a respectable height.

• Like 4

• RMweb Premium
1 hour ago, Reorte said:

Seeing a computer we had when I was a child (a BBC B) - in a museum. Mind you maybe the idea of seeing any computer in a museum ticks that box.

I was at the Amberley Chalk Pits Museum a few years ago; the have a collection of old "home entertainment".  It included the mains radio I grew up with from about 1950 to the mid '60s, the first transistor radio I owned, and the first colour TV I owned (old and secondhand in about 1985).

• Like 3

A recent rekindling of an interest in 70s and 80s Scalextric products has made me realise I may be of the last generation to consider it perfectly normal and healthy to emblazon children's toys with ads for tobacco products :D

• Like 5
  • Funny 2