RMweb

Cavalex - all new Class 56 in OO

AY Mod

6 hours ago, APT Fan said:

It was actually a very timely announcement as I had placed a pre-order for the Hornby version, which was late but had just started to arrive. Anyway I managed to cancel that pre-order and move it over to the Cavalex version. Being able to order a model with factory fitted sound is a significant differentiator for me provided its reasonably priced. I'm quite surprised how buoyant the analogue market still is, unless people are fitting their own decoders, be interesting to see the figures in terms of how many models actually end up being run on DC.

The Hornby model was a great advance in its time, but the tooling/design is nearly 20 years old and the Cavalex one is a comprehensive upgrade. We have two in the household, a Colas one for my teenage son (being paid for by various chores), and I picked up an 008 Romanian example. We've come so far from the days of applying the livery spec and a number to the point where specific locos are modelled with their specific variances at a point in time.

Re the DC question, both of these are DC. Once the specific non-sound decoders are available we may get those. I have some sound models but don't insist that everything is DCC sound - the cost adds up if you tend to acquire lots of locos. 

• Like 1

5 hours ago, blueeighties said:

Looking at that prototype roof picture, they may well be spaced off the roof, but I can't see it. And that earlier Loadhaul model image looks as though there is a 'space' of a good 4 or 5 scale inches, that is simply not correct. And regarding the roof colour, I'm not judging from a photograph, I'm judging from experience of the real thing in all conditions, weathered, ex works, and everything in between.

Congragulations on an excellent model, it's just a shame a few of the details let it down. And let's turn the clock back a few years pre Cavalex Models, when you were only too happy to point out miniscule deficiencies with other manufacturers models. It works both ways!

Quite possibly the most ludicrous comment I've read on an internet forum. "I can't believe that when I unboxed it, I discovered it was made out of plastic. Judging from experience of the real thing in all conditions....I'm sure it was made of metal."

• Like 1
  • Agree 3
  • Funny 3

• RMweb Gold
2 minutes ago, ollysussex said:

Quite possibly the most ludicrous comment I've read on an internet forum. "I can't believe that when I unboxed it, I discovered it was made out of plastic. Judging from experience of the real thing in all conditions....I'm sure it was made of metal."

You’ll be telling me next, I’ve wasted my money on getting a gallon of diesel in specially for mine. 

• Funny 4

• RMweb Premium
1 hour ago, aureol40012 said:

These things must have sold like hot cakes when released!  Just checked and my order from Rails was on the day they were announced, and they’ve not even taken payment yet when some Rails customers have already got theirs!  I phoned them on Wednesday and was told I would get an invoice for payment sent “in batches”.  They must have sold hundreds that first day if I’m nowhere near the top.

Guess plenty of other early purchasers in same boat?

Same boat as me. I ordered four on 7/3/21. Don't panic Mr Mannering.

Edited by Norski

1 minute ago, Revolution Mike B said:

Fantastic effort all round chaps. Not many people would take the time to accurately model features of the real thing like raised grills and exact livery colours. Other features that go unproved such as the light lenses and correct light projection are something never seen on a model of this scale. The removable roof panel is seamless, and the relief on the bogies is something else. You’ve certainly set the bar high for the 60! 

Thanks Mike. We are very proud of what we have achieved here and yes the light lenses haven't even been mentioned yet. We are very excited about our class 60 of which the first EP samples have recently arrived for review. It's going to be something special for sure. 

• Like 11

The 'high bar' had recently been set by A/S's Class 37, the main 'but' was the lighting seemed weak.

How are the white / red lights on this model, for those who have received from one who is waiting?

Al.

1 minute ago, atom3624 said:

The 'high bar' had recently been set by A/S's Class 37, the main 'but' was the lighting seemed weak.

How are the white / red lights on this model, for those who have received from one who is waiting?

Al.

It depends on what you mean by weak? The 56 has realistic light levels from the relevant units and the colour choice and light lenses are dependent on whether the prototype has LED lighting or old incandescent bulbs. There are accurate to the real thing.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

• RMweb Gold
4 minutes ago, atom3624 said:

Al.

My point is that the locomotive has prototypical lighting and not ‘toy train’ lights that would be too bright by even the most modern railway practices. 

• Like 3
  • Agree 2
  • Thanks 1

• RMweb Gold

Congratulations Cavalex. My initial impressions are  this model is right up there with the best. The sound is also immense and I can't  wait to receive the rest of my fleet. 

IMG_1688.jpeg.da6a1d765894193bbb968a67978616a8.jpeg

• Like 5
  • Friendly/supportive 1

56070 in BR blue arrived today courtesy of Rails and DPD - 2 minutes before the window it said it would arrive in!

It's done it's 30 minutes in each direction, ran flawlessly and boy is it loud. Nearly leapt out of my skin when the engine fired up! Really pleased with the whole thing,  more than just the loco - the amount of effort that the guys at Cavalex have put into it really shows their commitment to making something special, capturing all of the individual details that have been mentioned here. Their engagement with the people who are going to buy the loco through the forum has been great. The booklet is nice too, capturing the ethos of Cavalex as well as interesting info about the loco's history.

• Like 1
  • Agree 1
  • Friendly/supportive 1

Getting very jealous now! These look truly staggering! From the pictures Ive seen, are we looking at the best diesel locomotive made in RTR we have ever seen?

When is the next run being announced so I can purchase one (or hopefully more) for Greenford! 

ex fastline or DCR Green anyone? Maybe even an ex fertis one wouldn't go a miss either! 😁

• Agree 1

7 hours ago, blueeighties said:

Looking at that prototype roof picture, they may well be spaced off the roof, but I can't see it. And that earlier Loadhaul model image looks as though there is a 'space' of a good 4 or 5 scale inches, that is simply not correct. And regarding the roof colour, I'm not judging from a photograph, I'm judging from experience of the real thing in all conditions, weathered, ex works, and everything in between.

Congragulations on an excellent model, it's just a shame a few of the details let it down. And let's turn the clock back a few years pre Cavalex Models, when you were only too happy to point out miniscule deficiencies with other manufacturers models. It works both ways!

Wow how bitter are you? Proper keyboard warrior stuff that! 😀

• Round of applause 2
  • Funny 1

• RMweb Gold
1 hour ago, atom3624 said:

Al.

Those A/S Class 37 lights are just as they should be in my opinion. They were not lit up like Christmas Trees. 

Roy

• Like 3
  • Agree 3

• RMweb Gold
Just now, Roy Langridge said:

Those A/S Class 37 lights are just as they should be in my opinion. They were not lit up like Christmas Trees. 

Roy

Agreed. Old skool locomotive lights were dim compared to most models.

• Like 2
  • Agree 2

7 minutes ago, Dicky L said:

Yes and no input from me, it's automatic. 

Its' this feature isn't it?

automatically provides the characteristic screech as the wheels enter sharp curves. Not having to activate the sound manually only adds to the immersive effect whilst driving the locomotive. 

I believe that's what the Hall effect sensor is for, it's very realistic.

• Like 1

1 minute ago, APT Fan said:

Its' this feature isn't it?

automatically provides the characteristic screech as the wheels enter sharp curves. Not having to activate the sound manually only adds to the immersive effect whilst driving the locomotive. 

I believe that's what the Hall effect sensor is for, it's very realistic.

Yes that's it. We also include a manual flange squeal function as well though (F7) so that you never miss a good squeal opportunity!

• Like 2
  • Funny 1