Cavalex - all new Class 56 in OO

AY Mod

• RMweb Gold
11 hours ago, BritishRail60062 said:

Get one mate. You won't regret it! They are nice models. Although from my observations from the performance when I reviewed mine tonight. I feel that all wheel drive would have been a better option to have gone for. Not moaning, just some constructive feedback. 

Absolutely no need for all axle drive when a model carries as much weight as this one, and it’s strange that people get fixated on it. If anything, it aids traction due to preventing see saw motion. The Deco sample I borrowed pulled 38 coaches on my layout without struggling. It also managed to pull every wagon I had at the Taunton show. 

• Like 10
  • Agree 7

• RMweb Premium
8 minutes ago, Revolution Mike B said:

Absolutely no need for all axle drive when a model carries as much weight as this one, and it’s strange that people get fixated on it. If anything, it aids traction due to preventing see saw motion. The Deco sample I borrowed pulled 38 coaches on my layout without struggling. It also managed to pull every wagon I had at the Taunton show. 

When it pulls your Wife or girlfriend Mike,its a keeper.......:)

• Funny 2

Mine has arrived and the only thing I don't much like is the need to unscrew it and screw it back into the box. 

Whilst I know that protects it in transport extremely well, I don't much like it given mine will spend a lot of time coming into and out of the box to be run. I don't have a permanent layout that it can sit on sadly.

Other then that, the first impressions are extremely good, I'm looking forward to giving it a proper run.

• RMweb Gold

I placed an order for 049 on the 27th in the morning, still waiting for despatch. They said it could be middle of next week for despatch. Would love to know how many they have sent out.

Same mentally some buy the biggest 4x4 to drive ¾mile to school and back and never sees a muddy field until it snows then you see them in muddy ditches😃

The 56 on loan to Deadmans lane ran without a hitch....long trains dragged out of fiddle yard round the end boards and up the hill past the sheds....making little kids cry as turbo screeched past them!

....actually didn't see any one cry but every one turned to see!

• Like 1
  • Funny 3

• RMweb Gold
4 hours ago, Southwich said:

Thanks for the feedback Peter. Can you please send us an email with your observations and we’ll look into it further?

We felt that the all round performance benefits from going AIA-AIA on uneven track far outweighs the minimal impact of not having the centre axle driven. Hope that helps to explain our thinking behind the decisions?

Kind regards,

Will

I'm delighted with the running of my Class 56, it is very sure footed where some of my 6 wheel drive bogies are a little tremulous through my amateurish handbuilt points.

Edited by 96701

• RMweb Premium

Curio question, does the flange squeal work on DC?  Saw a short vid last night on the YT TV app., no engine sound but flange squeal, can't find the bloomin YT vid on the PC now.  I wonder if Cavalex will go down the Lifetime Warranty route.

3 hours ago, rob D2 said:

Hornby model was quite reasonable - but what the fudge did Hornby do with the roof grills ? Why are they recessed ?

and it could equally be said why are are Cavalex version's body grills blue when they're quite clearly black in your photo - both versions are good - one is just 20 years older 🙄

Looking forward to 2nd batch which will hopefully include 56036 in LLB.

• RMweb Gold

Well 56008 has just arrived, less than 24 hours from clicking Pay Now to knock at the door.

Im in total awe of this model, I can only describe it as museum quality.

I must have spent 5 minutes just staring at all the bogie detail, its so exquisite its almost as if the mechanics, springs and brake blocks would happily move.

My wife actually asked me if I was ok as I had gone quiet for a while !

Hoping BR Blue 56002 maybe in the pipeline for one of the next batches, according to my notes my late father spotted it 1984 so that would be a special one for me.

Surely a contender for model of the year.

A big thank you to Cav and Alex for bringing this model to market.

Their obsession with detail is truly astounding and all I can say is when your model arrives just sit with it for a while and enjoy looking it over and their hard work and dedication will dazzle you.

Thank you chaps.

• Like 1
  • Agree 3
  • Friendly/supportive 1

14 minutes ago, Garry D100 said:

Well 56008 has just arrived, less than 24 hours from clicking Pay Now to knock at the door.

Blimey, who did you order from and did you pay for next day delivery? I paid for a preorder on Wednesday and ordered another via a retailer’s website on Thursday and no sign of either, seeing all these different pictures now……🥲 cheers, Rob

Edited by taliesin
Spelling mistake

30 minutes ago, Southernman46 said:

and it could equally be said why are are Cavalex version's body grills blue when they're quite clearly black in your photo - both versions are good - one is just 20 years older 🙄

Well the Cavalex versions grilles are blue because the prototype ones are blue. So actually two thing wrong with the Hornby one not a tit for tat. 🤷

• Like 2

30 minutes ago, Garry D100 said:

Im in total awe of this model, I can only describe it as museum quality.

I must have spent 5 minutes just staring at all the bogie detail, its so exquisite its almost as if the mechanics, springs and brake blocks would happily move.

My wife actually asked me if I was ok as I had gone quiet for a while !

Hoping BR Blue 56002 maybe in the pipeline for one of the next batches, according to my notes my late father spotted it 1984 so that would be a special one for me.

Surely a contender for model of the year.

A big thank you to Cav and Alex for bringing this model to market.

Their obsession with detail is truly astounding and all I can say is when your model arrives just sit with it for a while and enjoy looking it over and their hard work and dedication will dazzle you.

Thank you chaps.

Thanks Garry, this is exactly why we do what we do. We want our customers to feel delighted and happy that they have the model in their hands. 

No better thanks for us. 

• Friendly/supportive 1

3 minutes ago, RBE said:

Well the Cavalex versions grilles are blue because the prototype ones are blue. So actually two thing wrong with the Hornby one not a tit for tat. 🤷

Yes, apologies I was just using the issue to illustrate a ridiculous point to another contributor on my part. 

44 minutes ago, Southernman46 said:

Colour of grills isn’t nearly the same as a completely wrong fan design on the Hornby one . I’m not sure what you are trying to say ?

• Like 1

Just now, rob D2 said:

Colour of grills isn’t nearly the same as a completely wrong fan design on the Hornby one . I’m not sure what you are trying to say ?

That it doesn't really matter 👌

1 minute ago, Southernman46 said:

Yes, apologies I was just using the issue to illustrate a ridiculous point to another contributor on my part.

Edited by rob D2
Crossed posts
  • Like 1

Well, it all looks very promising . If they should do a transrail one , I’ll give it a look. Sadly the days of buying everything I like cos it’s shiny and then bending rule 1 to fit are over as these are not cheap like the old Lima buy 2 a month , but then things have very much moved on from plastic toys !

• Like 1
  • Friendly/supportive 1

• RMweb Gold
33 minutes ago, taliesin said:

Blimey, who did you order from and did you pay for next day delivery? I paid for a preorder on Wednesday and ordered another via a retailer’s website on Thursday and no sign of either, seeing all these different pictures now……🥲 cheers, Rob

Hi, I ordered from Rails, no fast delivery selected.

Just their standard free included DPD delivery.

• Like 1

• RMweb Gold
21 minutes ago, carefreeroz said:

Question for anybody out there. What year was the first Class 56 outshopped in Railfreight grey livery please? As shown on 56 077.

Many Thanks

I believe it was 56135 from brand new. Built in 1984. This is one I'd get if it was produced.

56135 Crewe Works

Photo from Roddy McFee's Flickr page https://www.flickr.com/photos/roddymacphee/

Edited by 97406
  • Like 2
  • Agree 2

4 minutes ago, APT Fan said:

Anybody?

Surely this is basic DCC logic, things like lights you want to latch and horns momentary or have I misunderstood your question?

• Like 1
  • Agree 2

Big 👍 for the packaging - the solid frame works as it enables the loco to be unpacked / packed with the minimum of fuss without the need for 3 hands which the current popular wrapped in a plastic sheet / clipped in a plastic carrier etc type does.

• Like 2
  • Agree 1