Users will currently see a stripped down version of the site until an advertising issue is fixed. If you are seeing any suspect adverts please go to the bottom of the page and click on Themes and select IPS Default. ×
RMweb

Cavalex - all new Class 56 in OO

AY Mod

Do you mean at the front and back of the bogie?

One end wasn't correctly seated but I corrected that as well.

I can't see any gap between the side frames and the bogie towers. 

13 hours ago, Rhysb said:

So had an afternoon testing the tractive effort of the Cavalex class 56’s. Helix and incline testing alongside prototypical train lengths.

Thanks

Rhys

Nice video @Rhysb  now I'm left wondering just how much can a Cavalex 56 haul either on the level or on a slope?

56 + 24 PTA + 15 JHA + 10 BBA/BLA ?? 🤔

Edited by D9502

17 minutes ago, LNERandBR said:

Actually, where exactly do the sideframes attach to the towers? 

Do they sandwich the pickup strips?

17 minutes ago, LNERandBR said:

Front and back of the bogie and against the gearbox.

There certainly shouldn't be any difference in play between the two.

2 minutes ago, LNERandBR said:

Actually, where exactly do the sideframes attach to the towers? 

Do they sandwich the pickup strips?

The bottom keeper plate has 4 clips, one at each corner and locks the sideframes on. If that is unclipped then the side frames can slide out on 4 rails to release the wheels. The pick ups are in the sideframes.

Edited by RBE
  • Informative/Useful 1

7 minutes ago, D9502 said:

Nice video @Rhysb  now I'm left wondering just how much can a Cavalex 56 haul either on the level or on a slope?

Rolls Royce used to describe their car bhp as being “adequate”, when they introduced the Bentley Mulsanne Turbo it’s bhp was described as being “more than adequate”  I rather think that sums up the Cavalex 56.

• Funny 2
  • Friendly/supportive 1

14 minutes ago, RBE said:

The bottom keeper plate has 4 clips, one at each corner and locks the sideframes on. If that is unclipped then the side frames can slide out on 4 rails to release the wheels. The pick ups are in the sideframes.

Ah okay, thank you for the explanation.

So, what I have additionally found is the Axel Boxes are separate so will go flying if you put too much pressure on them to bring the sideframes out. The pickup wires being the thing stopping the sideframes moving if there's not enough slack.

However, I think the misalignment in the box has caused the axel boxes on mine to come loose though too much pressure. I noticed they felt a little loose so I'm going to ensure these are seated correctly and secured and see if that cures the excessive sideplay and clicking.

Overall, I've decided I don't much like this method of securing locomotives in boxes. The need for a screwdriver to release the model and the possibility of accidental damage if you don't take care is a little too high for my liking. 

• Like 1

The screwing in of the model is fine it's just the potential for damage if not done right. We are looking at a redesign of the cradle to illiminate the risk currently.

Edited by RBE
Typo
  • Like 2

1 minute ago, RBE said:

The screwing in of the model is fine it's just the potential for damage if not done right. We are looking at a redesign of the cradle to illiminate the risk currently.

I'd also suggest something other than screws that can be undone without the need for a screwdriver. 

49 minutes ago, D9502 said:

As per the video which is 15 JHA, 41 HAA, 11 BBA/BLA & 23 PTA's. 

The simple answer is it can easily pull realistic/prototypical full size rakes. I think the wagons would give in before the 56 would!

Thanks

Rhys

12 minutes ago, AshleyH said:

It appears that all the DCC Sound versions are completely sold out at all retailers, unless anyone knows any different? 😢

C&M Models are sold out of all the sound versions. We still have most of the non-sound versions, but these too are selling fast.

• RMweb Premium

My Gbrf twin pack just arrived. Had a Quick Look and found 081 with both bogies not in the correct place in the cradle. Not had chance to run yet so hopefully it had not been damaged as there is no way I am going to try and fix it with my fat fingers and dodgy eyes. It will be a pain to return as the box is huge and to look like the retailer had issues finding suitable packaging as well

IMG_3580.jpeg

5 minutes ago, newbryford said:

Apologies - I am suffering from cavalexmetooitis.

Shame you didn't have an 098 to go with it!

• Like 1

15 hours ago, BritishRail60062 said:

IMG_20240128_170256_814.jpg.06f191bc4cbf6da219c7647448209991.jpg

Two of my model trains chilling tonight on my table. Sorry for the fuzz on the photo as when I try to use macro mode on my phone, it puts on the light and bleaches out the colors! 

Are you not missing an orange multiple working receptor above the front number of the 56?

• Agree 1

21 minutes ago, 47007stratford said:

My Gbrf twin pack just arrived. Had a Quick Look and found 081 with both bogies not in the correct place in the cradle. Not had chance to run yet so hopefully it had not been damaged as there is no way I am going to try and fix it with my fat fingers and dodgy eyes. It will be a pain to return as the box is huge and to look like the retailer had issues finding suitable packaging as well

IMG_3580.jpeg

It’s a really simple fix, if after looking you really feel you can’t do it I’m sure you can find someone who can

We are stock checking this week and we hope to be able to release some stock for general sale.

quite a few people are not picking up the phone… if we call you, pick up or you might miss out!

3 hours ago, LNERandBR said:

I'd also suggest something other than screws that can be undone without the need for a screwdriver. 

Try SCX 1/32 slot cars' method - works well but might not with 10x the weight.

Al.

1 hour ago, 47007stratford said:

IMG_3580.jpeg

When boxes have been way too big - presume you mean the outer carriage box - I trim them down to 'more reasonably sized' whilst still permitting room for protective packaging as well - just a suggestion.

Al.

1 minute ago, atom3624 said:

When boxes have been way too big - presume you mean the outer carriage box - I trim them down to 'more reasonably sized' whilst still permitting room for protective packaging as well - just a suggestion.

Al.

The box on the twin pack is twice the size. You don't want to cut it as it's a special box with ltd edition artwork on it.

• Like 3

On 27/01/2024 at 21:35, Bryn_Bach_Railway said:

Just an extra question with the DCC function list (or lack off from what I can gather, not yet having the model myself). I appreciate that functions might be different depending on how a decoder is set up, however is this due (for example) two different decoders AUX 4 output being on different pins? Or different decoders having the function outputs assigned to different AUX outputs?

if it’s the latter, then is there a list of what AUX outputs perform which lighting functions? As even if a decoder doesn’t line up with them out of the factory, it would help with setting up the decoder correctly if possible.

and if it’s the former, maybe a diagram labelling which pin on the model controls which lighting function could be provided? So that users can cross check them against with the decoder of choice to line them up properly, or as close as possible?

just trying to get my head around what the issue is, as I’d like to use Zimo decoders (specifically the new MN340D/C depending on if logic outputs are needed) in my pair and just trying to see how much of the lighting I’ll be able to get working. Would rather use Zimo chips if I can as I’d like all the decoders on my layout (except sound) the same.  just to keep everything consistent with each other etc.

Apologies if I missed something but was an answer given to this in the end? The thread has moved on by a few pages and I didn’t see anything. Don’t want it to get lost and unanswered