Users will currently see a stripped down version of the site until an advertising issue is fixed. If you are seeing any suspect adverts please go to the bottom of the page and click on Themes and select IPS Default. ×
RMweb

Cavalex - all new Class 56 in OO

AY Mod

4 minutes ago, Paul tpxguard said:

How about a series 1 series 2 and a 3 in triple grey un numbered and no sector 

same with the large logo blue and the  grey then we can just decal up as many as we can each afford lol

It’s been suggested before with other model manufacturers but blue box wouldn’t do it because in their view it doesn’t sell - there’s a large % of modellers unable or unwilling to add decals … worked for Heljan though with their unnumbered 47s

• Moderators
14 minutes ago, rob D2 said:

worked for Heljan though with their unnumbered 47s

It didn't really; most were the last to sell and most discounted. A bit of a sad reflection of the how little some were prepared to do even 12-15 years ago effectively killing the idea off for good.

O is a bit different though.

• Like 1
  • Agree 5

13 minutes ago, rob D2 said:

It’s been suggested before with other model manufacturers but blue box wouldn’t do it because in their view it doesn’t sell - there’s a large % of modellers unable or unwilling to add decals … worked for Heljan though with their unnumbered 47s

Stepping down from o gauge that’s how most of the locos I have come 

but I get what you mean I had to show one mate how todo it 

I couldn’t believe he had never done a airfix kit or something like that 

3 minutes ago, AY Mod said:

It didn't really; most were the last to sell and most discounted. A bit of a sad reflection of the how little some were prepared to do even 12-15 years ago.

Ah ok . I think I’m misquoting someone who said they flew off the shelves - not sure if that was keen modeller or a retailer .

Edit - I’m sure a retailer said they sold stacks which surprised me - might have been our friends at trains4U IIRC 

Edited by rob D2

• RMweb Gold

There were of course a number of 56 (and 60s) which ran without any sector branding in service for a prolonged period post privatisation, so there is something of a halfway house available.  

the question is whether it would sell as many as a ‘normal’ release with xyz branding.    That said having finished my 56 as an unbranded loco it really wasn’t too difficult to do, if a 60 appeared in unbranded grey it would be my first choice, but again I’m more likely to buy one of the sector ones and rebrand to loadhaul triple grey 

22 hours ago, Southwich said:

Next month or so all being well - we’re happy to accept suggestions in the meantime though! 

Kind regards,

Will

Thanks for the info Will!

As you asked… (not that I haven’t pestered the guys on the stand at various shows over the last few years for the same…!)

- Fastline debranded 56301

- ex fertis debranded 56103

- DCR Green 56303 

- DCR Dark Grey 56312

thanks in advance 😅

• Agree 1

On 24/02/2024 at 00:49, Southwich said:

Next month or so all being well - we’re happy to accept suggestions in the meantime though! 

Kind regards,

Will

Glad to hear this. I am hoping for some more FEDN (1991) locomotives.

Edited by JN

• RMweb Gold

I'm slowly bringing my fleet into service.  They really are lovely models.  Here are the Romanian and Doncaster front ends for comparison (I prefer the Romanian).

IMG_1255.jpg

• Like 12
  • Friendly/supportive 1

Crikey - that's some wishlisting almost a  case of ..................... (a lot will be too young to remember this but enjoy it anyway - one two of the UK's finest actors at work)

Edited by Southernman46
  • Funny 1

On 24/02/2024 at 00:49, Southwich said:

Kind regards,

Will

Hi All,

In response to this:

Dutch liveried version.

Dutch liveried version with Transrail logos.

56,001 ‘Whatley’ in Construction sub-sector livery.

here’s hoping…..

• Like 1

14 hours ago, rob D2 said:

14 hours ago, AY Mod said:

It didn't really; most were the last to sell and most discounted. A bit of a sad reflection of the how little some were prepared to do even 12-15 years ago effectively killing the idea off for good.

O is a bit different though.

14 hours ago, Paul tpxguard said:

Stepping down from o gauge that’s how most of the locos I have come 

but I get what you mean I had to show one mate how todo it 

I couldn’t believe he had never done a airfix kit or something like that 

The posts quoted seem insulting.

Edited by JN

Very happy with my three grids… excellent performers handling my 16 MGRs with ease.

I really like the new style of packaging also…can’t wait for the 60s.

Jez

IMG_3819.jpeg

IMG_3823.jpeg

• Like 11

• Moderators
37 minutes ago, JN said:

The posts quoted seem insulting.

In what way are statements of fact insulting?

• Like 3
  • Agree 4

The coupling issue.

Feeling a bit daunted by the prospect of having to drill holes in the body of my lovely new model of 56077.

Thrilled with the running, appearance, and sound, but after extensive testing I am forced to conclude that if 56077 is to work for its living I am going to have to replace the kinematic couplings with with a brass wire bar which will necessitate the (slightly scary ) job of drilling two holes in each buffer beam of my most expensive loco to date.

I fully accept that there is no manafacturing fault with the couplings; it is unreasonable to expect a spring to be strong enough to re-centre the coupling on a heavy train after coming off a curve, but at the same time be weak enough to allow the coupling to move sideways when entering a similar curve with the same train.

As modellers we clearly want to eat our (close coupling) cake and keep it.

However I need a loco which will pull 12 Bachmann JGAs/Accurascale HYAs and cope with  a 2nd radius curve  without causing the bogie of the leading wagon to derail. Extensive testing of the kinematic coupling on the class 56 has shown that - just like the notorious Hornby class 60 - the kinematic coupling cannot deliver on a 'heavy' train.

I am now resigned to having to replace the kinematic couplings on 56077.  I  live in hope however that Cavalex can engineer a coupling on the forthcoming Class 60 which will not necessitate a similar modification as was required on all eight of my Hornby Class 60s.

• Like 3

1 hour ago, Fordbank said:

The coupling issue.

Feeling a bit daunted by the prospect of having to drill holes in the body of my lovely new model of 56077.

Thrilled with the running, appearance, and sound, but after extensive testing I am forced to conclude that if 56077 is to work for its living I am going to have to replace the kinematic couplings with with a brass wire bar which will necessitate the (slightly scary ) job of drilling two holes in each buffer beam of my most expensive loco to date.

I fully accept that there is no manafacturing fault with the couplings; it is unreasonable to expect a spring to be strong enough to re-centre the coupling on a heavy train after coming off a curve, but at the same time be weak enough to allow the coupling to move sideways when entering a similar curve with the same train.

However I need a loco which will pull 12 Bachmann JGAs/Accurascale HYAs and cope with  a 2nd radius curve  without causing the bogie of the leading wagon to derail. Extensive testing of the kinematic coupling on the class 56 has shown that - just like the notorious Hornby class 60 - the kinematic coupling cannot deliver on a 'heavy' train.

I am now resigned to having to replace the kinematic couplings on 56077.  I  live in hope however that Cavalex can engineer a coupling on the forthcoming Class 60 which will not necessitate a similar modification as was required on all eight of my Hornby Class 60s.

I changed the tension lock to kadee no 19s and it'll pull 12 JGAs or 24 Hornby HAAs no problem now.  No derailing has happened since I changed over.

• Informative/Useful 2
  • Interesting/Thought-provoking 1

23 hours ago, amarr40 said:

Having purchased a few of these fantastic locos I’d really love to see more Romanian BR Blue examples along with any Blyth Cambois / Gateshead outbased locos. Wouldn’t it be great to see 56076 Blyth Power or any BR Blue or large logo examples. I just remember the good old days of driving up the A1 with my brother in my first car and the awe of excitement as we got to the depots in the North East, gone but never forgotten. Can’t wait for the second run. You really have delivered the ultimate Class 56 and it can only get better. 

A second (or is it a third?) vote for 'Blyth Power' although I'd be happy with one in any of its guises; 076 BR Blue, 134 Large Logo or Trainload Coal.

1 hour ago, WILLIAM said:

A second (or is it a third?) vote for 'Blyth Power' although I'd be happy with one in any of its guises; 076 BR Blue, 134 Large Logo or Trainload Coal.

How about 56131 Ellington Colliery in large logo with small numbers, red buffer beams etc, it would look fab alongside 56124 Blue Circle Cement.

• RMweb Premium

Well going by the tread having few if any detractors on the 56 and the 60 being in the wings,any variations of either model will secure Cav and Alex a comfy pension and theres more on the horizon.......they will rightly reap the reward for the time and hard work and are rightly proud of their masterpiece models. Nice to have five mins chat at MRS with Alex.

• Like 3

• RMweb Premium
On 24/02/2024 at 17:06, tinsley-toton said:

56036 in LL

56133 in LL named Crewe Loco Works as it's 40 years ago this June that it was named at the open day that the whole world went to.

T-T

I was there as a young teenager, I’d go for 56133 if it was done.

• Like 1

9 hours ago, Fordbank said:

The coupling issue.

Surely before chopping up a model you would first try a different coupling (something more solid than a tension lock), if not try adding some weight to the lead wagon and keep it as such?