Cavalex - all new Class 56 in OO

AY Mod

• RMweb Gold
21 minutes ago, dj_crisp said:

I've not tried glue and glaze so will give it a go next time. Otherwise I do the same.

JN my biggest tip is less is more. I.e. apply small amounts. I use matt varnish and if any seeps through have a small brush with thinners to hand to run over the seepage which with a dry brush can be soaked up. It's a useful technique to learn for any type of painting with enamels.... I guess I mess up on everything I do just that I'm learning how to correct stuff

Yes, I use varnish, but acrylic as opposed to enamel. I've had success using the same thinned gloss acrylic that I use to stick Laserglaze in place - this also has a tiny spot of washing up liquid added to the mix to help it flow. It gets applied to the very edge of the plate with a small pointy brush. Remove excess with the dry brush as per the above or a small amount of acrylic thinners if I apply too much and it oozes too far away from the plate.

I've been experimenting with Glue and Glaze for the bufferbeam pipework on my recent Class 20 purchases and it looks to be a good solution that would also work for plates etc.

• Like 2

• RMweb Premium
17 hours ago, derekdoestrains said:

Can’t upset anyone if you don’t do anything…

Unless it's a class 40 you haven't done....

Edited by Hal Nail
apostrophe, init.
  • Like 3
  • Funny 3

35 minutes ago, 97406 said:

Yes, I use varnish, but acrylic as opposed to enamel. I've had success using the same thinned gloss acrylic that I use to stick Laserglaze in place - this also has a tiny spot of washing up liquid added to the mix to help it flow. It gets applied to the very edge of the plate with a small pointy brush. Remove excess with the dry brush as per the above or a small amount of acrylic thinners if I apply too much and it oozes too far away from the plate.

I've been experimenting with Glue and Glaze for the bufferbeam pipework on my recent Class 20 purchases and it looks to be a good solution that would also work for plates etc.

I guess I am in the minority as a firm believer of fixing nameplates with super glue. I apply masking tape around the area where the plate is going. This is applied very carefully to ensure the plate is going on level. A very small amount of glue is applied to the area on the end of a cocktail stick and the plate fixed in place. Guaranteed not to come off when the loco is handled….

John

• Agree 2
  • Friendly/supportive 1

• RMweb Gold
1 hour ago, 37501 said:

I guess I am in the minority as a firm believer of fixing nameplates with super glue. I apply masking tape around the area where the plate is going. This is applied very carefully to ensure the plate is going on level. A very small amount of glue is applied to the area on the end of a cocktail stick and the plate fixed in place. Guaranteed not to come off when the loco is handled….

John

The problem I find with superglue is that you don't get a second chance and I'll spot and fail to not notice any imperfections

• Agree 4

28 minutes ago, 97406 said:

The problem I find with superglue is that you don't get a second chance and I'll spot and fail to not notice any imperfections

Also some of my locos have been through several different incarnations - I don’t want the identity to be irreversible 

• Agree 1

48 minutes ago, squeaky said:

The esu website has a download for a Lokpilot but not a Loksound decoder, is this available for download?

I'm afraid not. The sound recording on this is our IP and as a result will only be available through our upgrade kits and selected retailers. 

• Like 1

34 minutes ago, RBE said:

I'm afraid not. The sound recording on this is our IP and as a result will only be available through our upgrade kits and selected retailers. 

Okay thanks, I'll look out for the upgrade kit 

4 hours ago, 97406 said:

Same I use pva mainly because I'm not brave enough and also because everything stays in the confine of our loft space and rarely gets handled. I especially use pva for buffer beam and things like ploughs... 

If anything like that were to accidentally get caught by clumsy me it will pull out rather than in my luck most likely snap at the lug and then its out with the mini drill.  

• Like 1
  • Friendly/supportive 1

• RMweb Gold
17 minutes ago, Moley48 said:

Same I use pva mainly because I'm not brave enough and also because everything stays in the confine of our loft space and rarely gets handled. I especially use pva for buffer beam and things like ploughs... 

If anything like that were to accidentally get caught by clumsy me it will pull out rather than in my luck most likely snap at the lug and then its out with the mini drill.  

Yes, my methods account for my own sausage fingers and general clumsiness! 😀

I'm also well versed on rectifying general cock-ups and small scale disasters!

• Funny 2
  • Friendly/supportive 2

• RMweb Gold
58 minutes ago, 97406 said:

Yes, my methods account for my own sausage fingers and general clumsiness! 😀

I'm also well versed on rectifying general cock-ups and small scale disasters!

Thought it was only Me who does stuff like that!,

• Like 1
  • Agree 1

• RMweb Gold
15 minutes ago, Davidjsmith said:

Thought it was only Me who does stuff like that!,

It's the getting yourself out of a difficult patch that makes for half the fun!

• Agree 1

• RMweb Gold

+1 for PVA. Woodland Scenics stuff also dries matt so no tell tail gloss edges to name plates etc. 

Rob

• Like 1
  • Informative/Useful 3

Might be useful to someone - 

When you buy a class 56 decoder for one of the new Cavalex models it's important that the switches are set correctly otherwise you wont have access to all the lighting features. We have had a few returns now where the decoder has worked perfectly when fitted to a correctly set model, which is an inconvenience for everyone.

This useful guide should help you set them correctly. The switch positions vary depending whether you are using Cavalex (same as factory sound) or Legomanbiffo so please take note.

4n16t6l80sivxipxuv1ltdqg1hrr.png

• Like 1
  • Friendly/supportive 1

I don’t think this has been asked yet (it might have been apologies if it has) is there a CV to change Function 30 from a south west trains announcement to something up north? 

15 minutes ago, XChris said:

I don’t think this has been asked yet (it might have been apologies if it has) is there a CV to change Function 30 from a south west trains announcement to something up north? 

No you can't pick and choose announcements. Tbh they are only on there because they could be. Me and Alex didn't actually think that it was even necessary to have any station announcements at all on a freight loco but we appear to have misjudged that one. 

• Like 1
  • Informative/Useful 1
  • Friendly/supportive 1

14 minutes ago, RBE said:

No you can't pick and choose announcements. Tbh they are only on there because they could be. Me and Alex didn't actually think that it was even necessary to have any station announcements at all on a freight loco but we appear to have misjudged that one. 

Not to worry Function 29 does fine to keep those pesky passengers away from the edge of the platform and speaking from experience the horn works as well! 🤣

• Like 2

A friend has just bought a DCC ready (ie analog) Cavalex EWS 56, but even with the switches in the correct position according to the booklet the fans don't appear to be working.

Is there anything he might have missed?

Thanks

3 minutes ago, CoBoLoco said:

A friend has just bought a DCC ready (ie analog) Cavalex EWS 56, but even with the switches in the correct position according to the booklet the fans don't appear to be working.

Is there anything he might have missed?

Thanks

Yes the roof fans currently don't operate on DC however we are having new blanking plates made that will allow for this function should you want it.

• Like 3
  • Informative/Useful 1

19 minutes ago, RBE said:

Yes the roof fans currently don't operate on DC however we are having new blanking plates made that will allow for this function should you want it.

Thanks @RBE

2nd question.

If he wants your sound project, am i right in thinking he cannot get this from the ESU website & blow it onto a blank Loksound 5 himself using a lokprogrammer?

Ie he would need to purchase the decoder with the project on it either from yourselves, or from a vendor such as roads & rails?

32 minutes ago, CoBoLoco said:

Thanks @RBE

2nd question.

If he wants your sound project, am i right in thinking he cannot get this from the ESU website & blow it onto a blank Loksound 5 himself using a lokprogrammer?

Ie he would need to purchase the decoder with the project on it either from yourselves, or from a vendor such as roads & rails?

Yes that's correct. At present we are not making it available as a free file. 

• Like 1

49 minutes ago, RBE said:

Yes that's correct. At present we are not making it available as a free file. 

Cheers @RBE

Will let him know.

As for me, VERY HAPPY with my Sound Fitted Colas.

Roll on batch 2 & the Class 60!!!

Edited by CoBoLoco

• RMweb Gold
On 28/02/2024 at 06:40, Hal Nail said:

Unless it's a class 40 you haven't done....

I found a workaround for that particular class and have 9 of them done with one more on the ‘to do’ list. Of course if Cavalex were to do one………😀

There’s 190 left to model after all!