Cavalex - all new Class 56 in OO

AY Mod

1 hour ago, franciswilliamwebb said:

Loved my 56008 so much that I've given in and grabbed a second. 56070 in blue just arrived from Ultimate Model Railways👍

Would have loved an “ electric nose “ style review ! 

• Funny 2

4 hours ago, franciswilliamwebb said:

Loved my 56008 so much that I've given in and grabbed a second. 56070 in blue just arrived from Ultimate Model Railways👍

I know that feeling, I ordered one and totally forgot about it until I received an email that it was in stock, I was that impressed by it that I ended up with another two 😉

• Like 2

• RMweb Gold
52 minutes ago, taliesin said:

I know that feeling, I ordered one and totally forgot about it until I received an email that it was in stock, I was that impressed by it that I ended up with another two 😉

'Cavalitis' will be new term for the medical dictionary

• Funny 1

3 minutes ago, zr2498 said:

'Cavalitis' will be new term for the medical dictionary

Ew I'm not sure I want a medical condition named after me! 😬

• Funny 6

• RMweb Gold
3 minutes ago, RBE said:

Ew I'm not sure I want a medical condition named after me! 😬

Ah, but the cure is an injection of more 56s 🙂 Easy - no prescription needed, but alas not available on the NHS

• Funny 3

2 minutes ago, zr2498 said:

Ah, but the cure is an injection of more 56s 🙂 Easy - no prescription needed, but alas not available on the NHS

Ah the cause and the cure. Awesome! 🤣

• Funny 4

On 29/02/2024 at 21:30, RBE said:

No you can't pick and choose announcements. Tbh they are only on there because they could be. Me and Alex didn't actually think that it was even necessary to have any station announcements at all on a freight loco but we appear to have misjudged that one. 

One with ‘this train is not scheduled to stop here’ ect would have probs been a decent one for the more modern locos perhaps?

14 hours ago, Erixtar1992 said:

One with ‘this train is not scheduled to stop here’ ect would have probs been a decent one for the more modern locos perhaps?

Thats pretty much what the other station announcement function (F29) says.

Forget the announcements .

For the modern ones , you could have Francis Bourgeois  laughing manically at the 56 ….like he did at the Colas log one 

Edited by rob D2
  • Funny 5

3 minutes ago, The Meerkat said:

my Hornby elite can only do 28 functions so i cant access the announcements

We put those up there because they were very much as far as we were concerned, surplus to requirement. All other functions are more important for the loco than those. 

• Like 2
  • Agree 2
  • Round of applause 1

On 27/02/2024 at 22:09, RBE said:

I am not sure what you are saying here? That you want the nameplates and pipework pre fixed? I am always happy to give advice regarding fitting nameplates and pipework etc.

I ordered from Ultimate Model Railways, so getting the pipework prefixed was not an option. I do not mind trying, but is something I have not been successful in this instance. Still, better to have tried and failed than to have never tried at all. Best to have succeeded, but some worth in trying. I do get easily demoralised and I was also annoyed with myself for not being as good as other people. Due to my autism I also have a very binary worldview - in this case: pass or fail. I look at the Doncaster layout and am impressed by that and would like to be able to produce something of that quality myself. I am my own harshest critique and being a perfectionist means my goals are often higher than my abilities.

Thanks, but I was not complaining I never got help. Someone had advised me to use blacktack and that seems to have worked for the nameplate. I get you are busy and I am not the centre of the universe. Also, my point was more about critics who do not help, but I get people have other demands on their time than the latest post on a forum.

The depot plaque and double-arrows I used glue for as the 'tack was too fiddly for me. The depot plaque was really easy as I just put a blob of glue in the centre and I managed that as soon as I got the glue home from my local newsagent. I used a cocktail stick for a small blob of glue as using the nozzle would have wasted glue even if the glue does dry clear. I used a moist paper towel to clean up. The jig was easy to use for the plaque and the plaque's shape and look made straightening easy. I had difficulty lining the double arrows and nameplate (especially the double arrows) up straight and put the jig hard down to the roof to make sure the nameplate was straight and used the grey line to make sure the plate is on as straight as possible. I did try the two-sided tape provided once I realised that the two-sided tape is the two sided tape, but the blacktack seemed to work better for the nameplate. Just really thin sticky stuff and used the technique as with the PVA glue.

However, I was struggling to get the pipework in the holes just because of my shaky hands from anxiety and such. For the three I have done so far (the coupling chain and two pipes to the left) I just held my tweezers near the grab and put them in. The pipes have stayed in, so I will not be messing with them. I just need to put the remaining two pipes in. As much as I would like to use the chain coupling I will be best using the tension lock coupling, so I only really want the piping at the one end. I have no idea . I can barley tell the contours of what the model people are wearing, so I am going to struggle painting the crew. I have got a set of very thin brushes, but the detail is looking too fine. I joked with my dad about me probably needing a magnifying glass to see the model let alone fixing pipework to the model. Not, obviously, so, but I was using the exaggeration and humour to make a point. I prefer oo-gauge just because that is what I already have.

The HAA wagons I ordered came today and I want to get on with making coal load mounds, but I will pop some advice request on the HAA wagon thread. My dad gave me a copy of The Guardian on Thursday, so I have some papier-mâché material and I have thought I could use the cardboard the wagons came in as the base for a papier-mâché base (I did not ignore everything on Blue Peter!). I just want to have a go at a different task. I have no deadline, no exhibition, to get everything done by/for.

I had a quick look at the wagons and, well, another excellent model. I do not even know where to begin with making a model, so thanks for making a well-made model. Thanks to Trains4u, too, for sending quickly - I thought the wagons would be coming early next week. Not as exciting as a locomotive, but still high quality.

Sorry to AY. I was a little over the top. I tend to keep silent until things get too much. I also have the sensitivity skills of a sledgehammer at the best of times.

Before I sign-off on this essay, I found a website about coal mining: https://www.nmrs.org.uk/mines-map/coal-mining-in-the-british-isles/yorkshire-coalfield/. Some of the details are a bit much as I only really have a railway interest, but people with an engineering interest might be interested in the technical aspects of the pump house engine details. I checked out the website for dates of coal mine closures, so I would not create a timetable for a colliery/power station run from a closed colliery. If people are interested in the operational side of things I have found:

http://www.railwaycodes.org.uk/elrs/_mileages/w/wag1.shtm. I cannot state to the accuracy of the website, but a useful guide (the order is correct, but the measurements might be incorrect - I am using the information as a standard). My dad uses the guide of eight revolutions of his six by four layout as about five miles. In my flat I have a six by one alcove for a shed layout. I could probably do something such as the foyer area of Knottingley MPD

56098 - 6.10.91 - Knottingley

Use as a working diorama as well as learning to weather, scratchbuild and put together kits etc. Maintain the locos with a rolling road and join a model railway club to talk trains and life more generally. I am doing this, amongst other reasons (such as: I like trains), as something to do other than watching YouTube.

• Like 3
  • Friendly/supportive 3

9 minutes ago, JN said:

I ordered from Ultimate Model Railways, so getting the pipework prefixed was not an option. I do not mind trying, but is something I have not been successful in this instance. Still, better to have tried and failed than to have never tried at all. Best to have succeeded, but some worth in trying. I do get easily demoralised and I was also annoyed with myself for not being as good as other people. Due to my autism I also have a very binary worldview - in this case: pass or fail. I look at the Doncaster layout and am impressed by that and would like to be able to produce something of that quality myself. I am my own harshest critique and being a perfectionist means my goals are often higher than my abilities.

Thanks, but I was not complaining I never got help. Someone had advised me to use blacktack and that seems to have worked for the nameplate. I get you are busy and I am not the centre of the universe. Also, my point was more about critics who do not help, but I get people have other demands on their time than the latest post on a forum.

The depot plaque and double-arrows I used glue for as the 'tack was too fiddly for me. The depot plaque was really easy as I just put a blob of glue in the centre and I managed that as soon as I got the glue home from my local newsagent. I used a cocktail stick for a small blob of glue as using the nozzle would have wasted glue even if the glue does dry clear. I used a moist paper towel to clean up. The jig was easy to use for the plaque and the plaque's shape and look made straightening easy. I had difficulty lining the double arrows and nameplate (especially the double arrows) up straight and put the jig hard down to the roof to make sure the nameplate was straight and used the grey line to make sure the plate is on as straight as possible. I did try the two-sided tape provided once I realised that the two-sided tape is the two sided tape, but the blacktack seemed to work better for the nameplate. Just really thin sticky stuff and used the technique as with the PVA glue.

However, I was struggling to get the pipework in the holes just because of my shaky hands from anxiety and such. For the three I have done so far (the coupling chain and two pipes to the left) I just held my tweezers near the grab and put them in. The pipes have stayed in, so I will not be messing with them. I just need to put the remaining two pipes in. As much as I would like to use the chain coupling I will be best using the tension lock coupling, so I only really want the piping at the one end. I have no idea . I can barley tell the contours of what the model people are wearing, so I am going to struggle painting the crew. I have got a set of very thin brushes, but the detail is looking too fine. I joked with my dad about me probably needing a magnifying glass to see the model let alone fixing pipework to the model. Not, obviously, so, but I was using the exaggeration and humour to make a point. I prefer oo-gauge just because that is what I already have.

The HAA wagons I ordered came today and I want to get on with making coal load mounds, but I will pop some advice request on the HAA wagon thread. My dad gave me a copy of The Guardian on Thursday, so I have some papier-mâché material and I have thought I could use the cardboard the wagons came in as the base for a papier-mâché base (I did not ignore everything on Blue Peter!). I just want to have a go at a different task. I have no deadline, no exhibition, to get everything done by/for.

I had a quick look at the wagons and, well, another excellent model. I do not even know where to begin with making a model, so thanks for making a well-made model. Thanks to Trains4u, too, for sending quickly - I thought the wagons would be coming early next week. Not as exciting as a locomotive, but still high quality.

Sorry to AY. I was a little over the top. I tend to keep silent until things get too much. I also have the sensitivity skills of a sledgehammer at the best of times.

Before I sign-off on this essay, I found a website about coal mining: https://www.nmrs.org.uk/mines-map/coal-mining-in-the-british-isles/yorkshire-coalfield/. Some of the details are a bit much as I only really have a railway interest, but people with an engineering interest might be interested in the technical aspects of the pump house engine details. I checked out the website for dates of coal mine closures, so I would not create a timetable for a colliery/power station run from a closed colliery. If people are interested in the operational side of things I have found:

http://www.railwaycodes.org.uk/elrs/_mileages/w/wag1.shtm. I cannot state to the accuracy of the website, but a useful guide (the order is correct, but the measurements might be incorrect - I am using the information as a standard). My dad uses the guide of eight revolutions of his six by four layout as about five miles. In my flat I have a six by one alcove for a shed layout. I could probably do something such as the foyer area of Knottingley MPD

56098 - 6.10.91 - Knottingley

Use as a working diorama as well as learning to weather, scratchbuild and put together kits etc. Maintain the locos with a rolling road and join a model railway club to talk trains and life more generally. I am doing this, amongst other reasons (such as: I like trains), as something to do other than watching YouTube.

Relax mate, take it easy . It’s not a competition it’s a hobby . If you struggle with the pipes - we all do at times . By design they have to be scale which is small ! As long as you are enjoying yourself everything is good 

• Like 1
  • Agree 1
  • Thanks 1

1 hour ago, rob D2 said:

Forget the announcements .

For the modern ones , you could have Francis Bourgeois  laughing manically at the 56 ….like he did at the Colas log one 

Would be good fun…. Ha

3 hours ago, RBE said:

We put those up there because they were very much as far as we were concerned, surplus to requirement. All other functions are more important for the loco than those. 

yeah thats true, they are less important then other functions,  and tbh happy the other important functions have taken priority :)

32 minutes ago, Paul W said:

3 of the superb Cavalex 56's....

PXL_20240213_142843615.jpg

PXL_20240213_143754800.jpg

PXL_20240213_144232754.jpg

Awesome. I am tempted to use the same photo for my '074, but I want a little practice beforehand. I noticed another photograph on Flickr of '074 going through Doncaster station with the same streak (about the same time (spring 1991)).

• Like 1
  • Craftsmanship/clever 1