Western Times

Andy M

On 06/03/2023 at 11:45, The Stationmaster said:

They were referred to as 'servants' in the 1923 Rule Book and 'employees' in the 1933 Rule Book. However the  GWR resolution to adopt the new, 1933, Rule Book referred to 'officers and servants' and James Milne's 'address' in the opening of the 1933 book also referred to 'officers and servants'.

I think there was a historic distinction in company law between a servant (who does what he's told and the company is liable for his mistakes) and an officer (a director or manager) had a personal legal responsibility for his decisions.  Bank managers also used to be called officers, the term board appointment was also used because promotion to that level had to be approved by the board of directors.

Historically companies were corporate bodies set up by rich individuals who were used to employing domestic servants they ordered about, and you were liable if you told your footman to do something wrong (no point in sueing the servant for damages as he doesn't have any money), although he could be convicted of something criminal (as in the butler did it).  The same terminology and attitude made sense when workers were employed by a company.  I think employee is just anglicisation of the French word employé, the latter spelling being usual when the word was first adopted in English, and would include managers as well as the rank and file.

• Informative/Useful 2
  • Interesting/Thought-provoking 1

• 2 weeks later...

WESTERN TIMES Issue 6 - Out Now

I am pleased to announce that the new issue of Western Times is now available to purchase at https://ttpublishing.co.uk/product/western-times-issue-6/

Many thanks to all of you that have taken the time to make contact to add extra detail and generally comment about the content of the issues released to date. Your input is invaluable and very much appreciated.

As always we would be delighted to hear from budding authors wishing to submit articles or photographs that relate to any aspect of Great Western Railway history. We really are starting to unearth some fascinating stories, anecdotes and invaluable documentary evidence, so please keep it coming!

Regards,

Andy.

Western Times Cover (Issue 6).jpg

• Like 3

• 3 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...

WESTERN TIMES Issue 7 - Update

Hi all,

Final checks are complete and Issue 7 has been sent to the printer. Contents shown below for your information and it should be on sale by early August.

Regards,

Andy.

WT7 Contents Page.jpg

• Like 6

• RMweb Gold

Looks like a varied and interesting issue as always. In an uncertain world it is good to have an article on the Reading Sand Van to look forward to.

• Like 1
  • Agree 2
  • Round of applause 1
  • Funny 1
  • Friendly/supportive 1

• 3 weeks later...

WESTERN TIMES Issue 7 - Out Now

I am pleased to update that the new issue of Western Times is into stock from tomorrow, and available to purchase at https://ttpublishing.co.uk/product/western-times-issue-7-copy/

I do hope you enjoy the latest offering of eclectic Great Westernry!

Please also note the advance notice of the inaugural Western Times Special, which I am currently beavering away on. Celebrating the 100-year milestone of the magnificent Castle class! More details will follow shortly.

Regards,

Andy.

Western Times Cover (Issue 7).jpg

• Like 3

• RMweb Gold
9 minutes ago, Andy M said:

I am pleased to update that the new issue of Western Times is into stock from tomorrow, and available to purchase at https://ttpublishing.co.uk/product/western-times-issue-7-copy/

Please also note the advance notice of the inaugural Western Times Special, which I am currently beavering away on. Celebrating the 100-year milestone of the magnificent Castle class! More details will follow shortly.

Regards,

Andy.

Hi Andy, 

If one was to start a subscription now, would it start with Issue 6 (as the website says) or issue 7?

Thanks,

19 minutes ago, Harlequin said:

Hi Andy, 

If one was to start a subscription now, would it start with Issue 6 (as the website says) or issue 7?

Thanks,

Hi Phil,

The ability to subscribe to WT was made available from Issue 6 (as the website states). My understanding is that if you were to subscribe from now, this would commence with Issue 7.

To put your mind at rest it may be worth contacting the office on 01494 708939, to place your order stating Issue 7 as the starter. If you have any problems, please come back to me and I will engage on your behalf.

Regards,

Andy.

Edited by Andy M
  • Thanks 1
  • Interesting/Thought-provoking 1

• RMweb Gold
On 03/08/2023 at 17:41, Andy M said:

Regards,

Andy.

Definitely one to acquire!

• Informative/Useful 1

• 1 month later...

WESTERN TIMES SPECIAL: Castle Class Centenary

I am pleased to advise RMwebbers that the first WT Special has gone to the printers and should be available shortly. Below is a brief synopsis of the publication and a sample of a page spread to whet the appetite! 

'In this inaugural Western Times Special we look to mark and celebrate 100-years since the introduction into service of the legendary ‘Castle Class’. Over an enlarged issue of 96 pages, the life of these much admired locomotives is explored and explained utilising over 180 black & white and colour photographs, many appearing in print for the first time. The book is chaptered in such a way as to investigate the diverse and surprisingly complex history of the class, and the comprehensively captioned imagery is augmented with works drawings and an array of data presented in tabular form.

From an appraisal of the Great Western Railway’s motive power situation before the Castles, we examine their introduction into service and establishment as the mainstay of express passenger operations. The design development and improvements made throughout their careers is charted, including the successful application of double chimneys towards the end of their lives.

Unusually for a company noted for its regimented locomotive naming policy, the Castles experienced a number of identity changes over the years, and many of these ‘Non-Castles’ are highlighted. The class is extensively featured at work, on shed and in works throughout their service, and special attention is afforded to the final years leading up to withdrawal and scrapping. Finally, we chronicle the eight survivors, that avoided the cutter’s torch and made it into the preservation era.

This is the first of what is hoped to be the regular release of a Western Times Special, that will augment the regular series, but concentrate on a particular topic in greater detail than in the usual articles'. 

WT Castle Centenary Special Cover SRGB.jpg

WT Castle Special_Page 22-23.jpg

Edited by Andy M
  • Like 9

• RMweb Gold

Appropriately,the front cover is of one at Swansea High Street.Good choice,though I don’t believe 5048 Earl Of Ducie was a Landore Castle at least when the photo was taken .It doesn’t have the hallmark silvered buffers. Edit: Looking again however there does appear to be the faint traces of paint there.Maybe taken after 87E closed for conversation to a diesel depot and its allocation of steam dispersed elsewhere,Llanelli or Neath perhaps ? Look forward to this publication.

Edited by Ian Hargrave
Adding text
  • Like 1

On 18/09/2023 at 19:58, Andy M said:

WESTERN TIMES SPECIAL: Castle Class Centenary

I am pleased to advise RMwebbers that the first WT Special has gone to the printers and should be available shortly. Below is a brief synopsis of the publication and a sample of a page spread to whet the appetite! 

'In this inaugural Western Times Special we look to mark and celebrate 100-years since the introduction into service of the legendary ‘Castle Class’. Over an enlarged issue of 96 pages, the life of these much admired locomotives is explored and explained utilising over 180 black & white and colour photographs, many appearing in print for the first time. The book is chaptered in such a way as to investigate the diverse and surprisingly complex history of the class, and the comprehensively captioned imagery is augmented with works drawings and an array of data presented in tabular form.

From an appraisal of the Great Western Railway’s motive power situation before the Castles, we examine their introduction into service and establishment as the mainstay of express passenger operations. The design development and improvements made throughout their careers is charted, including the successful application of double chimneys towards the end of their lives.

Unusually for a company noted for its regimented locomotive naming policy, the Castles experienced a number of identity changes over the years, and many of these ‘Non-Castles’ are highlighted. The class is extensively featured at work, on shed and in works throughout their service, and special attention is afforded to the final years leading up to withdrawal and scrapping. Finally, we chronicle the eight survivors, that avoided the cutter’s torch and made it into the preservation era.

This is the first of what is hoped to be the regular release of a Western Times Special, that will augment the regular series, but concentrate on a particular topic in greater detail than in the usual articles'. 

WT Castle Centenary Special Cover SRGB.jpg

WT Castle Special_Page 22-23.jpg

3 hours ago, Ian Hargrave said:

Appropriately,the front cover is of one at Swansea High Street.Good choice,though I don’t believe 5048 Earl Of Ducie was a Landore Castle at least when the photo was taken .It doesn’t have the hallmark silvered buffers. Edit: Looking again however there does appear to be the faint traces of paint there.Maybe taken after 87E closed for conversation to a diesel depot and its allocation of steam dispersed elsewhere,Llanelli or Neath perhaps ? Look forward to this publication.

Hi Ian,

The cover is a Douglas Twibell image captured on 1 July 1961, when No. 5048 was a Canton resident. It was to move to Neath four days later though.

Regards,

Andy.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

3 hours ago, HighlandRailwayman said:

Will this automatically be sent out to subscribers of WT or do we need to order it separately? Very much looking forward to it!

Hi HighlandRailwayman,

This Western Times Special is not part of the subscription package for the standard issues, so will need ordering separately. I will post another notification when it arrives from the printers, with a link for those wishing to order from Transport Treasury direct. I hope you enjoy the read.

Regards,

Andy.

• RMweb Gold
44 minutes ago, Andy M said:

Hi Ian,

The cover is a Douglas Twibell image captured on 1 July 1961, when No. 5048 was a Canton resident. It was to move to Neath four days later though.

Regards,

Andy.

Thanks for the reply. In 1961 the South Wales main line was still steam.  Displaced Kings were used between Paddington and Cardiff but got no further west  so I suspect 5048 is on a Paddington bound train but maybe only as far as Cardiff. The Hymeks came quickly after in 1962. Doing a job they were never designed to do…but doing it well despite being thrashed to near extinction with 13+ Mk1. I saw many Castles as a very young boy from the spot where this image is taken .Some of them disappeared in the early 50 ‘s….’A1 Lloyds “ and “The Somerset Light Infantry,Prince Albert’s Own “ being two curiosities.Converted “Stars”  I believe. All in Dylan’s Lovely Ugly Town….

• Like 2
  • Round of applause 2

4 minutes ago, Ian Hargrave said:

In 1961 the South Wales main line was still steam.  Displaced Kings were used between Paddington and Cardiff but got no further west  so I suspect 5048 is on a Paddington bound train but maybe only as far as Cardiff. 

Ian,

You are spot on, the train is the 10.15am Paddington. The photographer provided no further details as to whether it worked through to London or not.

Andy.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

On 22/09/2023 at 18:53, Andy M said:

Hi HighlandRailwayman,

This Western Times Special is not part of the subscription package for the standard issues, so will need ordering separately. I will post another notification when it arrives from the printers, with a link for those wishing to order from Transport Treasury direct. I hope you enjoy the read.

Regards,

Andy.

Thanks Andy

• Like 1

• RMweb Gold

Looking currently at the front cover of Western Times issue 4: Warship headed CRE at Plymouth North Road.In the foreground,back to the camera is a lad with curly hair with what looks like a camera slung over his left shoulder.The train is headed west into Cornwall having detached its dining car portion at the front from Paddington ,the locomotive working through from London to Penzance and handling the stock shunt itself before reversing onto its train….hence its platform position. I date this as either 11-08-1959 or 15-08-1959 and the Warship as one of D806:D808:D800:D802……and I’m as near certain that if the boy isn’t me,then he’s my double. 

• Like 5
  • Round of applause 1

• 3 weeks later...

WESTERN TIMES SPECIAL: Castle Class Centenary - Out Now

I am pleased to advise that the inaugural Western Times Special  has arrived from the printers and is available to order now at https://ttpublishing.co.uk/product/western-times-castle-special/

This 96-page bumper edition has been prepared over the summer and slots in between the regular issues. It should prove a treat for those with an affinity to Collett's magnificent centenarian. I amassed so much new imagery that a follow up feature on the class looks likely in Western Times during 2024. For now though its back to working on Issue 8 due in December.

Regards,

Andy.

WT Special_Castle Class Centenary_Contents Page.jpg

• Like 6

• RMweb Premium
5 hours ago, Andy M said:

WESTERN TIMES SPECIAL: Castle Class Centenary - Out Now

I am pleased to advise that the inaugural Western Times Special  has arrived from the printers and is available to order now at https://ttpublishing.co.uk/product/western-times-castle-special/

This 96-page bumper edition has been prepared over the summer and slots in between the regular issues. It should prove a treat for those with an affinity to Collett's magnificent centenarian. I amassed so much new imagery that a follow up feature on the class looks likely in Western Times during 2024. For now though its back to working on Issue 8 due in December.

Regards,

Andy.

WT Special_Castle Class Centenary_Contents Page.jpg

You naughty man! Now I shall have to buy the whole issue just for the article starting on page 68!

• Like 1
  • Funny 1