The non-railway and non-modelling social zone. Please ensure forum rules are adhered to in this area too!

Electric, Hybrid and Alternative fuelled vehicles - News and Discussion

Ron Ron Ron

4 minutes ago, Nick C said:

Though of course the Dutch do have a big advantage when it comes to cycling - their country is flat!

That's what e-bikes are for :)

6 minutes ago, woodenhead said:

Have you been to Amsterdam, the bike riders are dangerous silent wheeled death machines in the night.

It's much the same in Cambridge. I was a life-long cyclist until my back gave up in my mid-fifties (I did more miles per year on my bike than I ever have in the car) but being a pedestrian in Cambridge was a frightening experience. 

11 minutes ago, 30801 said:

Surely that's better than all cars?

You'd think that wouldn't you.

I think the problem is that to drive a car you are taught rules, reminded you are driving a motorised death machine and there is clear seperation of pedestrians and cars (usually).

Bikes, you just need to learn to balance and you are off, a lot of cyclists will act just as pedestrians do in crowded situations, you plough on through because if you stop to give way then everyone takes advantage.  Bikes and pedestrians often share the same space making it even harder.

I was told once, when walking in London, don't look ahead, look down, other pedestrians who are looking ahead will then move around you and it works

• Interesting/Thought-provoking 1

• RMweb Premium
58 minutes ago, woodenhead said:

I was told once, when walking in London, don't look ahead, look down, other pedestrians who are looking ahead will then move around you and it works

...until two people, both looking down and approaching each other from opposite directions, crash right into each other.

• Funny 3

5 hours ago, PenrithBeacon said:

I thought about one of those but the hassle of the special clothing in anything other than sunshine put me off. I can walk to anywhere where I would want one of these for with the added benefit of improving my physical fitness. 

An expensive toy.

I'm am sorry that you feel that way about my "expensive toy" .

One could argue the fact until the cows come home but in my position it is far better suited than an old blokes electric "go cart" eg mobility scooter.

Until a few months ago I was told to slow down when walking anywhere because friends and family had difficulty keeping up with me.

Since retirement physical fitness has been very much at the top of my daily list, now having had problems with an Achilles tendon the electric "toy" suits my needs until it regains its strength.

As for the clothes etc, it's my choice and I'm still out in the fresh air and only really inclement weather stops me from getting out.

I trust you will benefit from walking and your fitness remains.

G

p.s. What's wrong with spending the children inheritance and having fun into the bargain, he said with a BIG smile on his face each time he goes out !

• Like 3
  • Funny 1

2 hours ago, woodenhead said:

Have you been to Amsterdam, the bike riders are dangerous silent wheeled death machines in the night.

Also, they don't have traditional breaks on most bikes, they brake by back pedalling, so letting tourists loose on them adds to the terror they bring those on foot.

I've contemplated using them, one of the hotels even had some to lend, but I did not like the idea of trying to navigate around in them.  There is a major park, in parts it was like Piccadilly circus in the rush hour but all bikes.

No sense of adventure ! :jester:

• Funny 1

• RMweb Gold
11 hours ago, 30801 said:

You don't need special clothing just go in what you've got. Being assisted means you don't arrive in a sweaty mess if it's warm.

Have a look at the Dutch to see how it's done.

Exactly, no denim here...

image.png.0c077d22f5d2c3e761a24c7570e25c83.png

• Round of applause 1
  • Funny 2

It's snowing. I don't think I'll be cycling 20 miles (over a pass) into town with or without clothing :)

The problem isn't so much about energy capture it's far more about energy storage. Battery powered vehicles definitely help but they probably do much more to alleviate local air pollution than anything else.

That's why I keep banging on about hydrogen. Capture all available energy, convert that into hydrogen and either store it, use it in fuel cells, or convert it into hydrocarbon fuels using carbon from the atmosphere. It might be expensive but it's not rocket science.

• RMweb Premium
2 hours ago, AndyID said:

That's why I keep banging on about hydrogen. Capture all available energy, convert that into hydrogen and either store it, use it in fuel cells, or convert it into hydrocarbon fuels using carbon from the atmosphere. It might be expensive but it's not rocket science.

Erm, it is - commonly-used rocket fuel!

• Craftsmanship/clever 1

An interesting reminder overnight is the risk of cloud connected technology in everyday life

BBC article “ Tesla drivers left unable to start their cars after outage”

my app hasn’t talked to the car overnight. I’m not locked out though as I carry my Tesla Key with me at all times anyway just in case (it’s simply a credit card) 

• RMweb Premium
1 hour ago, black and decker boy said:

An interesting reminder overnight is the risk of cloud connected technology in everyday life

my app hasn’t talked to the car overnight. I’m not locked out though as I carry my Tesla Key with me at all times anyway just in case (it’s simply a credit card) 

A very good example of why I find so much technology these days absurd.

Edited by Reorte
  • Agree 3

3 hours ago, black and decker boy said:

As the BBC article points out, the app is there purely for convenience and it isn’t very wise to leave home without carrying your Tesla card key, just as it wouldn’t be sensible to leave home without your credit and bank cards and expect to pay for things only with your smartphone.

Same with boarding cards when travelling by air.

We always take a backup paper printed copy with us, even if we have the boarding cards on our phones.

My son, like many others, think the phone app is all that’s needed.

This recent issue with access to Tesla’s isn’t a problem with the technology.

It’s a problem with the users …. i.e. the drivers not carrying their card key.

• Agree 3

3 hours ago, figworthy said:

All they need to do is fit a sound chip in it with a Merlin sound project.

Adrian

Cue Boris next week hailing the new all electric Spitfire fighter for the RAF, to go along with pounds and ounces and tripe back on sale in supermarkets to counter any meat shortages.

• Funny 2

This should help:

BBC article “ New homes in England to have electric car chargers by law”

New homes and buildings in England will be required by law to install electric vehicle charging points from next year, the prime minister is set to announce.

The government said the move will see up to 145,000 charging points installed across the country each year.

New-build supermarkets, workplaces and buildings undergoing major renovations will also come under the new law.

• RMweb Premium

This should help:

New homes and buildings in England will be required by law to install electric vehicle charging points from next year, the prime minister is set to announce.

The government said the move will see up to 145,000 charging points installed across the country each year.

New-build supermarkets, workplaces and buildings undergoing major renovations will also come under the new law.

And about time too. The law should go further and require all businesses employing over 15 people on a site* to have chargers as well. 

*where parking is provided. 

• Agree 3

This should help:

Good stuff. But where is the energy really coming from? If it's mostly from from renewable sources that's great but if not it's just political arm-waving.

• Agree 3
  • Funny 1