Sonic Models OO Gauge Robinson A5

Paul.Uni

• RMweb Premium
1 hour ago, Chas Levin said:

That's a very nice looking teak carriage there Johann, behind the loco: is that a kit-built, or an enhanced RTR? If it's purely RTR, who's the manufacturer please?

Hello Chas,

This is one of the coaches sold for #thegreatbritishcoachbuild, professionally weatherd by Steve 'Neville Grove'. All profits went to ProstatecancerUK.

It's the old Hornby Gresley Gresley Brake Composite 4237. 

Here you can see how he did it:

It was in my picture because it's the next in line on my workbench for internal lighting. 

• Like 2
  • Craftsmanship/clever 1
  • Round of applause 3

• RMweb Premium
On 17/03/2023 at 13:51, Johan DC said:

Hello Chas,

This is one of the coaches sold for #thegreatbritishcoachbuild, professionally weatherd by Steve 'Neville Grove'. All profits went to ProstatecancerUK.

It's the old Hornby Gresley Gresley Brake Composite 4237. 

Here you can see how he did it:

It was in my picture because it's the next in line on my workbench for internal lighting. 

Wow, thank you for explaning - the title 'Teak Transformation' isn't an exaggeration, is it? I should never have thought it was one of those Hornby ones, that' s terrific job!

Nice to know the proceeds went to a good cause too.

And delighted to hear you're installing internal lighting, big favourite thing of mine. do you use track power, or do you use something like the Train-Tech coin cell / motion sensor strips? If not, I can recommend them (no connection, just a very happy user).

• RMweb Premium

I use track power. I played a bit with battery and reed switches, but latching ones are near impossible to find here, so I gave up. 

I have seen the train tech ones, but for that price, I can light three or four coaches. But the idea of a motion sensor is appealing, might try it one day. 

• Like 1

• RMweb Gold

This is an impressive looking model. A friend of mine, who doesn't use computers, has just purchased one and is very happy indeed with it.

He was, however, querying why the BR version is fitted with Class A (Express) lamps? Seems a curious choice that is puzzling us, but perhaps we are missing something?

I have looked through this thread and saw several references to removing the lamps but, seemingly, no one questioning why. 

• Interesting/Thought-provoking 1

Just received my 5024 this morning here in Adelaide. Its only had a few laps so far but seems to be smooth and quiet. There is slight bend in footplate upwards each side of the side tanks. But if you didn't know it's there you probably wouldn't notice.

Haven't measured height of chimney yet (I'm currently out) but I'm planning on replacing it as its too tall for my period. Its been modelled as the original Robinson GC shape and height which were all replaced by the LNER from at least 1930 onwards, firstly by a plant pot style then the LNER cast version similar but different in shape to the original GC type. That's what I'll fit.

The lettering whilst neat and tidy is missing the fine white edging between the yellow and the red and brown shading. The red lining is extremely well done but I think the jury is still out on whether the wheels should be lined or not.

Buffer shanks need to be painted black for LNER black livery.

Andrew

Edited by Woodcock29
  • Like 2

• RMweb Premium
8 hours ago, Woodcock29 said:

Just received my 5024 this morning here in Adelaide. Its only had a few laps so far but seems to be smooth and quiet. There is slight bend in footplate upwards each side of the side tanks. But if you didn't know it's there you probably wouldn't notice.

Haven't measured height of chimney yet (I'm currently out) but I'm planning on replacing it as its too tall for my period. Its been modelled as the original Robinson GC shape and height which were all replaced by the LNER from at least 1930 onwards, firstly by a plant pot style then the LNER cast version similar but different in shape to the original GC type. That's what I'll fit.

The lettering whilst neat and tidy is missing the fine white edging between the yellow and the red and brown shading. The red lining is extremely well done but I think the jury is still out on whether the wheels should be lined or not.

Buffer shanks need to be painted black for LNER black livery.

Andrew

Good to hear you've got a decent one!

Do you know whether a suitable short GC type chimney can be purchased from anywhere?  I think that would be more suitable for mine as well, although I haven't looked to see whether the chimney it comes with is a separate part or part of the body moulding.

I've just been examining it and note the chimney appears to be part of the smokebox/boiler moulding so it will need to be cut off and cleaned up. The chimney on the model is 6.6mm tall, so 1'8"compared with the height of 1'9" quoted in Yeadon. The top rim appears to be rather flat - not tall enough to truly represent the original Robinson chimney in my view. I'll be fitting a brass LNER O4 chimney from PDK. This is 1'5" tall and has a pretty good profile.

The smokebox front is a separate moulding and seems to be slightly bigger in diameter than the smokebox - it's probably not that noticeable.

Edited by Woodcock29

• RMweb Premium
40 minutes ago, Woodcock29 said:

I'll be fitting a brass LNER O4 chimney from PDK.

Thank you, that's very useful to know.  I always forget to look at PDK!  I'll have to consider whether it's worth the hassle of getting the existing chimney off, though.

• Thanks 1

On 15/03/2023 at 21:08, Dominion said:

I just fitted an ESU Lokpilot 5 micro as it was the only Next18 chip I had to hand. The motor and gear train and this chip seem to suit each other well. It is Running nicely without changing any CVs except momentum. Tom

(I ran in as recommended, for an hour each way, using the factory blanking plate and DC first)

Just ran mine in on DC first too. Did seam a little noise in reverse, though it was super smooth going forwards.

Then I fitted a spare NCE Next18 decoder without too much hassle (did take a little persuasion to get the body to sit back on the chassis properly, eventually clunked in)!

Now programmed on my ECoS, and it has the roster! 

• RMweb Premium

I notice the LNER black lined red is in stock at Rails again having been sold out for a couple of weeks, for anyone that was looking for one.

I am very pleased with mine.

https://railsofsheffield.com/products/sonic-models-s4101-05-robinson-a5-gcr-class-9n-4-6-2-tank-locomotive-lner-black-red-lining-no-5024

• Like 2
  • Informative/Useful 1

The A5s were used on Marylebone suburban services until displaced by the Thompson L1s and 69827 and 69829 were the last members of the class at Neasen leaving in May/June 1954. All of the originally built members of the class were based at Neasden during GC days but a batch of 10 ordered by the GCR but delivered post grouping resulted in some of the earlier build being transferred away. So GCR, LNER and BR examples could have been seen on the Met

Edited by Butler Henderson
  • Informative/Useful 3

9 hours ago, Butler Henderson said:

The A5s were used on Marylebone suburban services until displaced by the Thompson L1s and 69827 and 69829 were the last members of the class at Neasen leaving in May/June 1954. All of the originally built members of the class were based at Neasden during GC days but a batch of 10 ordered by the GCR but delivered post grouping resulted in some of the earlier build being transfered  being transferred away. So GCR, LNER and BR examples could have been seen on the Met

And also, they got used on the Woodford Halse -Banbury ‘Motor’ more often than you’d think (given they were never allocated to Woodford) from the start right through to the 50s.

Overhauls in the north meant they had to pass through Woodford on their trips to and from overhaul. They were frequently held over (what with Woodford being a good combination of big and busy/congested, and would be used on local trip working while lurking about there.

• Informative/Useful 2

On 12/03/2023 at 11:17, 31A said:

They are glued; on mine they pinged off fairly easily by using a knife blade as a lever between the lamp and the footplate.  There seemed to be locating dimples underneath them on the footplate, which acted as a handy guide for where to drill holes for new lamp irons.

The lamp on the bunker was slightly more difficult and care was needed, as the bunker back is quite a thin moulding.  I cut off the lamp iron which has the lamp attached, cleaned off the remains on the bunker with a sharp blade and drilled a hole for a new lamp iron (made from nickel silver strip) to go into.

1601750620_IMG_5738(1).jpeg.00dc994d27b6642f3453dcd8d4948282.jpeg

Rails provided me with a set of lamp irons when I contacted them about the bizarre fixed lamps - especially the rear lamp! 

• Like 1
  • Informative/Useful 1

Quick question - anyone know if the motor is likely to have a violent disagreement with old school (duette era) controllers? 

At home I use Gaugemaster, and have a couple of coreless motored engines so keep my controllers up to date. The club, on the other hand, is 1970s tech (and mostly 1970s kit - it's an extensive 50 year old permanent display layout) - but there's a running night tonight and an A5 is perfect....

• RMweb Gold
14 minutes ago, Helmdon said:

Quick question - anyone know if the motor is likely to have a violent disagreement with old school (duette era) controllers? 

At home I use Gaugemaster, and have a couple of coreless motored engines so keep my controllers up to date. The club, on the other hand, is 1970s tech (and mostly 1970s kit - it's an extensive 50 year old permanent display layout) - but there's a running night tonight and an A5 is perfect....

I cannot vouch for anything over the long term but I ran my A5 on a rolling road hooked up to a Duette for around an hour without any problems.

One thing I did notice was that a slow start wasn't quite as slow as I would have hoped.  We're not talking old Hornby 0-4-0 off like a rocket though and I assume it will improve once fully run in and controlled by something more up-to-date.

• Thanks 1
  • Informative/Useful 1

On 15/02/2023 at 10:52, drmditch said:

I shouldn't be, but I am tempted by these engines!
There are several questions however, to which a quick trawl through this thread and others on the LNER Forum has not produced answers.

My interests would require one of the Hawthorn Leslie 1925/6 built engines. Probably in 1940s condition when they were all based on Darlington. Does anyone know if the manufacturer is intending to produce one of these?

Some of the currently released models do have the lower dome. Do any have the 'built up' LNER chimney?
(Preferably not the earlier and cruder 'flowerpot' version!)

I am assuming that I would need to modify:-
- The cab roof (possibly)
- Spectacles (definitely)
- Lower curvature to frames under the smokebox/boiler (definitely)
- Front sandbox replaced above footplate (definitely)
- Chimney (if no manufactured version available) (definitely)
- Change to LH drive (definitely)
- replace the coal rails on the bunker (if they as wobbly as published pictures show!)
- repaint in plain un-lined black. (an advantage of the 1940s - though probably not if one was alive at the time!)

I would not bother about the overall width (reduced by 2" (.66mm) from the Gorton version, nor worry about the increase in wheelbase of 4" (1.33mm) between the trailing bogie wheels and the leading coupled wheels.

I do think that the price is quite reasonable (for current times) and much lower than the cost of scratch/kit building.

I would be grateful for other views and (polite) opinions!

Good afternoon. I received my LNER model in time for my Birthday at the end of February. A prompt delivery, and no  obvious breakages or faults. So far it has only been run in (as recomended) for one hour forwards. All pointwork, with single and double slips and plain (MR and LR) turnouts on my Peco Code 100 track was managed without problems

Next is one hour backwards!

I have only had a  brief look too see how easy my required modifications are likely to be.

The front frames will need the plastic of the body milled to profile, but the 'infill' appears to be solid metal which may require more dis-assembly/masking/milling.

Has anybody else attempted this yet?

On 27/03/2023 at 07:56, Helmdon said:

Overhauls in the north meant they had to pass through Woodford on their trips to and from overhaul. They were frequently held over (what with Woodford being a good combination of big and busy/congested, and would be used on local trip working while lurking about there.

You've almost answered a question I have , how did they get to Gorton for overhaul?

Did they haul a train to Woodford and then take  a Leicester or Nottingham job from there? 

I'm also guessing once they got as far a Darnall they would join a group of locos heading for Gorton , one of the Woodhead books has a mention of the the working , Tuesdays from Darnall , Thursdays from Mexboro.

2 hours ago, dave75 said:

You've almost answered a question I have , how did they get to Gorton for overhaul?

Did they haul a train to Woodford and then take  a Leicester or Nottingham job from there? 

I'm also guessing once they got as far a Darnall they would join a group of locos heading for Gorton , one of the Woodhead books has a mention of the the working , Tuesdays from Darnall , Thursdays from Mexboro.

AIUI essentially yes, typically a Marylebone to Woodford via Aylesbury stopper- but will check with my surviving LNER footplate crew source (genuinely) from the Extension and see what they say.

Edited by Helmdon