Users will currently see a stripped down version of the site until an advertising issue is fixed. If you are seeing any suspect adverts please go to the bottom of the page and click on Themes and select IPS Default. ×
RMweb

Sonic Models OO Gauge Robinson A5

Paul.Uni

My LNER lined black example - my 2021 Christmas present - arrived today. Virtually perfect in every respect. My only niggles are the express code headlamps - personally, I'd have preferred a Class B headcode with a single lamp above the smokebox door - and the seeming difficulty of replacing the moulded coal with real stuff. But other than that, it's really quite something.

• Agree 1

• RMweb Premium
2 hours ago, Black Marlin said:

My LNER lined black example - my 2021 Christmas present - arrived today. Virtually perfect in every respect. My only niggles are the express code headlamps - personally, I'd have preferred a Class B headcode with a single lamp above the smokebox door - and the seeming difficulty of replacing the moulded coal with real stuff. But other than that, it's really quite something.

Is this the Red lined one? I ordered the white lined A5, and the pictures on RoS show this one without the lamps. I also Prefer the Class B code. 

• Agree 1

• RMweb Premium
1 hour ago, Butler Henderson said:

Read a comment elsewhere that spare lamp irons are provided in the accessory bag to fit if the lamps are removed.

Not with mine, I'm afraid!

I spent some time this afternoon sorting it out.  The plastic lamps pinged off easily enough and I made new lamp irons from thin nickel silver strip.  The bunker one was straightforward, but the front buffer beam ones more difficult.  The running plate is a die casting and I wasn't able to make slots in it.  Instead I drilled small holes, and filed a 'tang' on the ends of the metal strip to fit into the holes, and put my trust in Loctite!

Alternatively I suppose I could have just bent the strip L shaped to match the middle one which is already there, and glued them flat onto the running plate.

The moulded lamps are actually quite nice and may end up accessorising the loco depot area!

• Like 2

My early BR crested version arrived a couple of days ago with a misfitted cab (as described by others here) but was easily sorted.  In all other respects it looks and performs splendidly without any bogie/pony truck derailment issues. Pics below taken after the cab issue was sorted.

1676920114050.jpg.1fb61fa8827b37d3262cbfa7e9db3a20.jpg

1676920114059.jpg.34334e2a66bed8add496cf6f64a4c7b0.jpg

1676920114068.jpg.239b01a67568fa249b820a92e214d74e.jpg

I've also taken some video of the loco on my layout which I need to edit and upload to you-know-where.  I'll put a link here when it's done.

Regards,

Brian.

• Like 10
  • Thanks 1

• RMweb Gold
5 hours ago, Brian D said:

My early BR crested version arrived a couple of days ago with a misfitted cab (as described by others here) but was easily sorted.  In all other respects it looks and performs splendidly without any bogie/pony truck derailment issues. Pics below taken after the cab issue was sorted.

1676920114050.jpg.1fb61fa8827b37d3262cbfa7e9db3a20.jpg

1676920114059.jpg.34334e2a66bed8add496cf6f64a4c7b0.jpg

1676920114068.jpg.239b01a67568fa249b820a92e214d74e.jpg

I've also taken some video of the loco on my layout which I need to edit and upload to you-know-where.  I'll put a link here when it's done.

Regards,

Brian.

Nicely photographed but this and the other early crest version shown earlier seem  to be lacking colours in the bottom part of the crest?

5 minutes ago, MikeParkin65 said:

Nicely photographed but this and the other early crest version shown earlier seem  to be lacking colours in the bottom part of the crest?

It appears that way on the Rails website too.  No contrast or much colour on the south side of the crest.  An easy fix mind you, a lot easier than some of the other issues.  Fingers crossed that mine is in the air, card charged a week ago.  All things considered, these look wonderful.

https://railsofsheffield.com/products/sonic-models-s4101-07-robinson-a5-gcr-class-9n-4-6-2-tank-locomotive-br-black-early-emblem-no-69804

• Like 1

• RMweb Premium

My 'BRITISH RAILWAYS' 69814 arrived while I was out on Monday, so I only had the chance to give it a quick visual check. Everything appears fine and a very quick test run was positive, only a slight hesitation on starting in reverse. A little running in was possible yesterday and it now runs smoothly and quietly in both directions. The front bogie did derail on a turnout on one circuit only, so this is something I'll be watching for. 

Very pleased over all, this loco certainly has 'presence' but as others have said, the lamps will have to go and *replacement lamp irons will be fitted in the near future so that a more appropriate lamp code can be displayed on the smokebox top. (There are no *replacement lamp irons in the accessories pack with my model, I'll be making these).

Regards,

John

• Like 1

• RMweb Gold

I've only had a cursory look via your posts on here, but that's a big loco! I may humbly suggest that Sonic  have very purposely mis-aligned the cab, and with good reason. If you need to install those electrical gimmicks, then the cab needs to come off; have I got that right? it saves the installer stripping down the cab; possibly damaging it, and going back as returns. I'd say that's a good idea.  I haven't seen one in the flesh (yet), but that's an impressive model.

A pity these didn't make it to South Wales...

• Like 1

• RMweb Premium

Some pictures, with the kind permission of Steve from 'Neville Grove'. Have a look at his great layout and stunning weathering works on Instagram and the 'tube, very satisfied customer here. 

IMG-20230220-WA0023.jpg

IMG-20230220-WA0029.jpg

IMG-20230220-WA0026.jpg

• Like 13
  • Craftsmanship/clever 1
  • Round of applause 1

I ordered a GCR mixed traffic with LNER letters livery version (according to Yeadons this should be red and white lined black, not double white, but it looks lovey so no matter!) and a GCR liveried one. My only annoyance was Rails sent them separately and charged me twice for postage, but whatever, its only 4 quid. Both run beautifully and look the part too. The livery on the GCR liveries one is particularly good. Next to my D11s it looks just as good and is a good colour match for them too. All round very happy.

• Like 3
  • Informative/Useful 1

9 hours ago, peteskitchen said:

I ordered a GCR mixed traffic with LNER letters livery version (according to Yeadons this should be red and white lined black, not double white, but it looks lovey so no matter!) and a GCR liveried one. My only annoyance was Rails sent them separately and charged me twice for postage, but whatever, its only 4 quid. Both run beautifully and look the part too. The livery on the GCR liveries one is particularly good. Next to my D11s it looks just as good and is a good colour match for them too. All round very happy.

I think we've been over this - and I can't remember if this is an occasion where Yeadons made an oversight, or if it was so 'unofficial' that it wouldn't/didn't count but... Gorton did double white on an A5 just because it could - it's basically a GC livery - as a bit of a, er, 'do one' to the LNER.

It's a paint shop peculiarity, basically, but it is right (as in it happened, rather than that it was necessarily authorised...). From memory, the last time I dug right down into it it really was a two fingered salute as by the time they did it they'd painted a lot of other locomotives properly.... so they don't have the excuse of 'using up paint' or 'misreading the instructions' that they might have had right on the dot of the grouping.

Edited by Helmdon
  • Agree 1

• RMweb Premium
10 hours ago, peteskitchen said:

My only annoyance was Rails sent them separately and charged me twice for postage…

They charged me twice too, and I only ordered one loco!   On the invoice they treat the deposit and completion payments as separate orders, and then seem to charge payment on both.  As you say, it’s only four quid, but irritatingly mysterious. 

• Agree 1

21 minutes ago, Downer said:

They charged me twice too, and I only ordered one loco!   On the invoice they treat the deposit and completion payments as separate orders, and then seem to charge payment on both.  As you say, it’s only four quid, but irritatingly mysterious. 

Why should you pay postage on a deposit??

Just taken delivery of mine, and it's hissing away on the rolling road as I type. 

Wonderful model, mine's blemish free - even the coal rails look pretty straight compared to some I've seen. Bit hesitant in reverse, but that should shake out as it runs in. 

I've only paid £4 for postage (and it was a pre-order) so might be worth those who've paid twice checking.

Don't suppose Sonic fancy doing a B16 next? 

• Like 3

• RMweb Gold
3 minutes ago, Willie Whizz said:

I wish Somebody would do a B16!  Unlike many North Eastern locos they got around quite a bit (seem to have been a regular sighting on the GC London Extension for example). 

And a variety of livery too.  This is surely one that would sell 

• Agree 1

8 minutes ago, Willie Whizz said:

I wish Somebody would do a B16!  Unlike many North Eastern locos they got around quite a bit (seem to have been a regular sighting on the GC London Extension for example). 

Primarily why I want one - York to Woodford Halse parcels was a regular B16 turn in the 1950s (and a variety of subclasses of B16 too). I've got a DJH B16, but modern RTR would be a straight purchase!

• Agree 1