Sonic Models OO Gauge Robinson A5

Paul.Uni

Been running my early BR version in on my test track (a. k. a my son’s old Hornby train set …!), and after about an hour in each direction it was running sweetly and quietly.  

Very pleased overall, my only reservations so far are the odd choice of fitted lamps given their usual duties, and the very “faded” look of the BR crests. One of the front bogie guide irons had broken off in the packaging; I’ve stuck that back on but clearly there’s a lot of fragile detail on the models and they’ll need careful handling. On the other hand, very pleasing to see that for once we have a loco in a sturdy box that will not start to buckle or disintegrate the third time of opening. 

• Like 1

9 hours ago, jaym481 said:

Royal Mail is causing me a little heartburn. My A5 is on the way (along with some other items from Rails), and tracking is spotty. Sometimes I just get the "we're waiting for it" message that was scanned on the 20th, and sometimes I get the added "it's at Northampton peak Parcel Depot" which was scanned on the 23rd. However, the tracking sometimes shows up only as "waiting for it" even after the Northampton scan has been seen. I've cleared my history for the tracking sit to see if that's part of the issue. In any case, this is in contrast to a parcel from another retailer that was ordered a couple of days after the Rails order. The second parcel enetred the international tracking system and is now showing on the Canada Post tracking as having cleared customs and will be delivered next week.

Rails, of course, can't do anything about RM's handling, but the confusion of the recent hack seems to have been cleared some time ago. I would just hate to see the package go adrift - an extremely rare occurrence in my experience.

Having the same experience you are, very well could be our A5's are traveling together!  I've done the same refreshing, looks like when I close out the tab and enter RM's website fresh with the tracking number it consistently shows status at Northampton. Could be a bug on RM's part.

However as an international preorder I'm not entirely happy with Rails' footwork on this one. Having to hound them for a tracking number and taking a few weeks to dispatch was mildly irritating. Understandable as they process domestic orders first, but still irritating. 

Good news is that it's on its way. Though I don't think I'll be rushing to preorder anything too soon with them, at least until RM's situation improves. 

Edited by ndeluck

Mine’s also been on an extended adventure courtesy of Royal Mail, who sent my Lincolnshire-bound package to a delivery office in Leeds, then lost all tracking information before delivering it eight days after dispatch. Good ol’ 48-hour recorded delivery…

Very strong first impressions on the model. Front bogie and cab correctly seated, no livery issues and crucially no broken parts despite the postal mystery tour, so thumbs up for the packaging. Has been running in happily on the rolling road. 

6F5EAE4D-CA78-43B9-8934-64C298B55556.jpeg.9528dba65de1d23d8b87c6b62de4926f.jpeg

7FFD331B-2A6E-47DD-B963-4FBB434991FC.jpeg.b4dd6f0e61bdab51fb08944d4955c064.jpeg

Now Sonic Models, if you were to follow this up with an OO GNR C2 / LNER C12 4-4-2 tank (with lamps in the detail bag this time) that would be superb…

• Like 9

Good news for anyone expecting a sound fitted version of these - I've had the email to say mine has been dispatched (gcr livery with sound upgrade).

My pre-order was only placed 15th January this year so I'm slightly surprised to have the notification so soon! 

1 hour ago, K Hatton said:

Good news for anyone expecting a sound fitted version of these - I've had the email to say mine has been dispatched (gcr livery with sound upgrade).

My pre-order was only placed 15th January this year so I'm slightly surprised to have the notification so soon! 

Likewise, though 29th. January. Special delivery. I hope that means tomorrow!

On 05/03/2023 at 15:18, OliverBytham said:

Mine’s also been on an extended adventure courtesy of Royal Mail, who sent my Lincolnshire-bound package to a delivery office in Leeds, then lost all tracking information before delivering it eight days after dispatch. Good ol’ 48-hour recorded delivery…

Very strong first impressions on the model. Front bogie and cab correctly seated, no livery issues and crucially no broken parts despite the postal mystery tour, so thumbs up for the packaging. Has been running in happily on the rolling road. 

6F5EAE4D-CA78-43B9-8934-64C298B55556.jpeg.9528dba65de1d23d8b87c6b62de4926f.jpeg

7FFD331B-2A6E-47DD-B963-4FBB434991FC.jpeg.b4dd6f0e61bdab51fb08944d4955c064.jpeg

Now Sonic Models, if you were to follow this up with an OO GNR C2 / LNER C12 4-4-2 tank (with lamps in the detail bag this time) that would be superb…

Lovely looking model. I would have got one but built the NuCast kit a couple of years ago. Two observations. I didn't think the rear of the two cab side windows were glazed. And I think the letters and numbers are missing their white shading.

I've had the same view about the lettering not having the fine white edging to the main lettering colour but was waiting until my black 5024 arrives to make any comment. Looking at some photos I was starting to think maybe it is there but very subdued. I'll comment more once mine has arrived, hopefully within the next week.

• Like 1

Mine arrived this morning and is running in on the rollers. 

First impressions are good, nothing out of place (cab roof etc) although presumably any such issues would have been rectified before/during sound fitting. 

Running plate is slightly curved up at the front but is no worse than other manufacturers models I've seen before (the well known a3s!)

It does have a slight rocking motion while running but not substantial enough to warrant returning (to me anyway) 

Basic sound works on dc control (always a bonus). 

I do intend to fit a driver/fireman, would anyone be able to suggest where to find some suitably attired crew? 

1678196446578938871580238963826.jpg

• Like 2

On 03/03/2023 at 21:00, ndeluck said:

Having the same experience you are, very well could be our A5's are traveling together!  I've done the same refreshing, looks like when I close out the tab and enter RM's website fresh with the tracking number it consistently shows status at Northampton. Could be a bug on RM's part.

However as an international preorder I'm not entirely happy with Rails' footwork on this one. Having to hound them for a tracking number and taking a few weeks to dispatch was mildly irritating. Understandable as they process domestic orders first, but still irritating. 

Good news is that it's on its way. Though I don't think I'll be rushing to preorder anything too soon with them, at least until RM's situation improves. 

Interesting - I wonder if any other international shipments have disappeared into the twilight zone of the Northampton parcels hub. I have to say though, that Rails' end was good. Mine was despatched within 3 days of the order (not a preorder) and a tracking number was provided with the notification of shipment.

26 minutes ago, jaym481 said:

Interesting - I wonder if any other international shipments have disappeared into the twilight zone of the Northampton parcels hub. I have to say though, that Rails' end was good. Mine was despatched within 3 days of the order (not a preorder) and a tracking number was provided with the notification of shipment.

I received an email that my A5 had shipped, a week after the card was charged.  No international tracking number provided.  My Rapido Hunslet took 5 weeks from Cornwall to Virginia.  I hope RM gets back to 10 days delivery time, the current situation is dire, and I don't expect to see that A5 for a while yet... 

1 hour ago, TheEngineShed said:

I received an email that my A5 had shipped, a week after the card was charged.  No international tracking number provided.  My Rapido Hunslet took 5 weeks from Cornwall to Virginia.  I hope RM gets back to 10 days delivery time, the current situation is dire, and I don't expect to see that A5 for a while yet... 

I ordered my Hunslet from Hatton's on 23 Feb and it arrived yesterday. Tracking was uninterrupted from Royal Mail to Canada Post (other than a few days in customs jail on arrival here, which wasn't bad as that has added over a week to the door-to-door time for some past shipments). RM tracking seems to work, except for a couple (few. More?) from Rails that have, err, gone off the rails.

• Like 1
  • Friendly/supportive 1

23 hours ago, jaym481 said:

Not to slight Rails, ultimately it was dispatched- and just this morning arrived in the States with the only previous status from RM reading at Northampton still- and should be here soon. I've yet to lose a parcel even in the midst of all the troubles our couriers have endured so in the end I am patient and grateful! 

I'll end my input on the ship-to-shore process there, hopefully other intl. customers receive good news soon also. Very excited for my LNER black with white banding example to arrive since the consensus looks like a resounding excellent for this loco!

Edited by ndeluck
  • Like 1

RM tracking is still showing it at the Northampton Peak parcels hub since 23 Feb. Unfortunately Canada Post still doesn't know of its existence. Hopefully goon news soon. I'm looking forward to getting No. 6 on to the layout.

• Friendly/supportive 1

My A5 arrived on Oz on Wednesday 8th, 14 days after despatch from Sheffield. I ran it in as per instructions for an hour each way in 30 minute intervals. It did quieten down over this time. Trials on the railway showed it to be a smooth quiet performer with no issues over dead frog pointwork even at slow speeds.

On to the workbench this morning for renumbering to 69808, the only member of the class I saw, right at the end of its life, at Nottingham Victoria.

200582011_DSCN0838(2).JPG.6e400fd9496f4c8dc3ea86211d06f129.JPG

1405437546_DSCN0837(2).JPG.369db6162baf58f36f4d16e54faca571.JPG

1448686759_DSCN0835(2).JPG.587483993ced894461b1e7131ce840c8.JPG

I used Fox 10" off-white number transfers as most photos show these larger numbers than those originally on the model. I was going to add the 'RA' code to the bottom of the tank side, but a lot of pictures show locos without it, including 69808. A couple of seconds with a silver Sharpie changed the bunker red lamp to a running lamp.

I am very pleased with the model and consider it good value, certainly I will look at a second in the future.

Cheers from Oz,

Peter c.

Edited by 45568
  • Like 16

No. 5045 made it safely, despite the shipping box being smashed in at two corners!

Wow. What a handsome loco, props to Sonic for a wonderful first product in OO. Popped on the rollers after pictures and it runs beautifully. 

Footplate seems the tiniest bit off true in spots but I find it negligible and only noticeable if I'm looking for it. Lining is very good, though I will have to agree the badging does seem a bit washed out but again that's negligible. 

I'm trying to research on what locos/what designation this livery carried but not finding much. Anyone have info or a source I could use to learn more?

09E59502-05EC-40F9-A627-CE53FA3D64DF.jpeg

37F49D62-CF2D-4DBD-BAA2-CD4444AF5620.jpeg

74F5AF60-C88A-45F4-99EA-474C067BB92D.jpeg

7819A608-AB3E-4EE9-A72C-E11C4353DE36.jpeg

0ACB5212-9FA7-4C3E-895C-3EDFA06FE434.jpeg

30536048-9024-4332-BE67-C65290017E19.jpeg

• Like 7
  • Informative/Useful 1

Shame the large side panel lining on the Water tank is not straight, and is larger/or out of line with  the the smaller panel on the Coal bunker side . Normally the small panel at the Front of the Water tank would match the side panel height and be inline again. Again never seen Steps lined out top and Bottom, normally only at the bottom. Silver handrails are doubtful on in use Locomotive ?.

Are there any photos of this livery in existence ? I couldnt find any on this thread?.

• RMweb Premium
25 minutes ago, micklner said:

Are there any known of 5045 in the white lined livery please ?.

I have seen one black and white picture. From a postcard I think. Of course, no idea of the colour of the lining. 

So my A5 arrived in Virginia today.  69820 is fit for purpose!  😀

Straight footplate, perfect lining / lettering, and a smooth DC runner on the rollers / test track.  A 40B Immingham shed plate which is correct for her last shed according to the BRdatabase.

Only negatives, the top outside edge of the cast footplate is a little rough and the lamps should have been in the parts baggy.

I'm going to resist dissection until I get a stay alive sound project for her, there must be massive amounts of space inside...

• Like 1