RevolutioN Trains Announce Cartic-4 Car Carriers in OO Gauge

sc2016

On 08/03/2022 at 21:13, Davidjsmith said:

Has there been any idea of price given yet? 

There's an early bird on the N gauge.  It will be a little more than them I expect if previous models are anything to go by.

Personally I would like a few - so the lower the price, the better! 

Need to find my old Hornby Silcock Express out and sell them I suppose.  I may keep the Hornby Motorail version though, just as a rake to run at speed. Not as wagon sexy as the Silcock and MAT versions to me

• 4 weeks later...
  • 3 months later...
  • 2 months later...
  • RMweb Gold
1 hour ago, Michael Hodgson said:

The longer it takes for these to emerge, presumably the higher the price will be ?

<All snipped>

Sorry - I was talking about the IPA car carriers.  Apologies for the brain fade!

cheers

Ben A.

Edited by Revolution Ben

• RMweb Gold
1 hour ago, Michael Hodgson said:

The longer it takes for these to emerge, presumably the higher the price will be ?

No? Why should it? There are a variety of factors that affect price including exchange rates, tooling and unit costs (which are in part affected by global commodity prices and part by how the model is designed) and quantity produced (which probably has the greatest impact). 

cheers Mike

48 minutes ago, Revolution Mike said:

Hi Lucy

Not yet, we’re finalising the 4mm CAD (I think Ben is answering about another wagon). 

cheers Mike

That's good to learn as nothing much has changed about the 00 Cartic 4 sets, on your website, since December last year. Not a criticism (well, only a little one), as I can see you have a lot in the pipeline.

Knowing how fluid things are in China, even now, and with an assortment of other problems, are you able to predict even finalisation of the CADs yet? Is that when you will want deposits?

2 hours ago, Mike Storey said:

That's good to learn as nothing much has changed about the 00 Cartic 4 sets, on your website, since December last year. Not a criticism (well, only a little one), as I can see you have a lot in the pipeline.

Knowing how fluid things are in China, even now, and with an assortment of other problems, are you able to predict even finalisation of the CADs yet? Is that when you will want deposits?

I would politely agree with you here. Don't get me wrong, I think the Revolution guys are great (as are many of their models to date), but loads of new Revolution model announcements have happened since these were announced. If it was my business (and I'm glad it's not because I couldn't do half as good a job as these guys), I think I'd catch up a bit on the existing announcements before publicising more...

I heavily caveat this with the following: please only take this as a constructive comment from a happy Revolution customer!

• Like 3
  • Agree 1

• RMweb Gold
2 hours ago, VXDH92 said:

I would politely agree with you here. Don't get me wrong, I think the Revolution guys are great (as are many of their models to date), but loads of new Revolution model announcements have happened since these were announced. If it was my business (and I'm glad it's not because I couldn't do half as good a job as these guys), I think I'd catch up a bit on the existing announcements before publicising more...

I heavily caveat this with the following: please only take this as a constructive comment from a happy Revolution customer!

Hi there,

Thanks for the constructive comments but in fairness since the 00 Cartic-4 wagons were offered we've announced two 00 wagons - the FNA-D flask wagon and the Alcan alumina PCA.  I am not sure that qualifies as loads!

It is true the Alcans, and probably the FNA-D shortly, have overtaken the Cartics but while in an ideal world every project would move forward at the same pace the reality is that modern rolling stock - especially that built in the 21st century - is far easier to turn into CAD as invariably the builders will have either 3D CADs or scans themselves and are usually happy to share such data once a licence is agreed.

cheers

Ben A.

• Like 5
  • Thanks 1
  • Informative/Useful 2

12 hours ago, Revolution Ben said:

Hi there,

Thanks for the constructive comments but in fairness since the 00 Cartic-4 wagons were offered we've announced two 00 wagons - the FNA-D flask wagon and the Alcan alumina PCA.  I am not sure that qualifies as loads!

It is true the Alcans, and probably the FNA-D shortly, have overtaken the Cartics but while in an ideal world every project would move forward at the same pace the reality is that modern rolling stock - especially that built in the 21st century - is far easier to turn into CAD as invariably the builders will have either 3D CADs or scans themselves and are usually happy to share such data once a licence is agreed.

cheers

Ben A.

Cheers Ben. There have been a number of N gauge items too, and the OO gauge 175s / 180s which must all sap time and resource from existing projects I imagine? That's more what I was referring to rather than just two new OO wagon projects.

Interesting insight RE how much easier it is to progress with more modern designs 'though. Again, just as well it's not my business as I don't know the half of it 😂

Anyway, it's great as always that yourselves and some of the other smaller manufacturers take the time to respond to customer feedback. Looking forward to these when they come 😀

• Like 2

Would I be right in assuming that unit trains were usually exclusively MAT or Silcock wagons, or were there mixed rakes?  These wagons were usually filthy so identifying whether the wagons at the back of a train match those at the front in photos isn't easy!

[Edit - I've been confusing myself between the separate N and OO Cartic-4 threads, so had missed earlier posts touching on this issue.  As the car manufacturers had delivery contracts with either one firm or another, mixed rakes would have been rare, although perhaps the BR ex-Motorail ones did get mixed in with the private-owners.  Also, to be prototypical on a loaded train the cars would have to be of the right make for the wagon.]

Edited by 64F
  • Like 2

• RMweb Gold
12 hours ago, VXDH92 said:

Cheers Ben. There have been a number of N gauge items too, and the OO gauge 175s / 180s which must all sap time and resource from existing projects I imagine? That's more what I was referring to rather than just two new OO wagon projects.

Well yes, but we are primarily an N gauge manufacturer and we have just had the N gauge show.  The suggestion seemed to be we are announcing numerous items with nothing to show of what we have underway.

I would like to think we have been ambitious but considered in our announcements in both 00 and N.  We tend to announce N projects as similar ones come to fruition; hence the Class 120 was announced at the weekend when we closed the order book for production to start of the Class 128 and the PTA box wagons were announced just as the first of the modern box wagons was being handed to customers.

The 00 IPA car carriers and FWA Ecofrets are due to arrive into the UK soon, so we will feel more justified in offering further 00 products.  Of course, whether enough people order them to progress to tooling is another matter!

cheers

Ben A.

• Like 3
  • Friendly/supportive 1

42 minutes ago, Revolution Ben said:

The 00 IPA car carriers and FWA Ecofrets are due to arrive into the UK soon, so we will feel more justified in offering further 00 products.  Of course, whether enough people order them to progress to tooling is another matter!

That will of course be dependent on the pricing you decide on !  Too cheap and you will have plenty of orders but won't be able to do it economically yet too dear and not enough will be ordered.

• Like 2

• 4 weeks later...
  • 4 weeks later...
On 15/09/2022 at 00:47, Michael Hodgson said:

That will of course be dependent on the pricing you decide on !  Too cheap and you will have plenty of orders but won't be able to do it economically yet too dear and not enough will be ordered.

Usually the lower the price the more you are likely to sell.  Likewise the higher the production quantity the better the price from a supplier will be, as the tool set up times and tampo printing can be be used on more models.  I think Ben and Mike have a good enough understanding of their business to avoid not doing it 'un-economically', whatever that means. 

For the modeller, Revolution always offer a good quality product, so that's pretty much a given.  There is however a choice depending on their perception of the price; Too costly - have one set for speedlink, good value - have a rake or two!  

• Like 1

Latest newsletter - Order book  to be opened (and therefore prices known) towards the end of November. 

(Fingers crossed prices are not too dissimilar to those of the impressive IPAs......hoping to go for a rake, not a set for Speedlink)

Edited by Torbay Express
Addition
  • Like 3

1 minute ago, VXDH92 said:

Does anyone know if the cartic 4s in STVA would ever operate in combination with IPA wagons (such as those already made by Revolution)?

Are the IPAs single-deck wagons in STVA markings? If so, they would have worked together on the Longbridge- Lonato trains through the Channel Tunnel. The single-deckers carried a range of Land-Rover products, whilst the various double-deckers conveyed Minis, and a dew, less popular BL products. Many of the Land-Rovers were ordered for various Italian Government department,, and had been lettered at Solihull or Bordesley.

31 minutes ago, Fat Controller said:

Are the IPAs single-deck wagons in STVA markings? If so, they would have worked together on the Longbridge- Lonato trains through the Channel Tunnel. The single-deckers carried a range of Land-Rover products, whilst the various double-deckers conveyed Minis, and a dew, less popular BL products. Many of the Land-Rovers were ordered for various Italian Government department,, and had been lettered at Solihull or Bordesley.

IPAs can be single-deck (like the Revolution variant) or double-deck (like the Bachmann variant). I just wondered if either ever worked whilst coupled with Cartic 4s, specifically in the STVA era? Or did STVA cartic 4s only operate in block sets of cartics?

56 minutes ago, VXDH92 said:

IPAs can be single-deck (like the Revolution variant) or double-deck (like the Bachmann variant). I just wondered if either ever worked whilst coupled with Cartic 4s, specifically in the STVA era? Or did STVA cartic 4s only operate in block sets of cartics?

Didn't the IPAs predominantly take over the role of the cartic wagons. (Whether there was any hybrid rakes while the IPAs were introduced???) Expect when Longbridge closed that were the end of the Mat, then there were the RFD 5  sets for the channel tunnel....