The Rapido Great Model Railway Survey

rapidoandy

1 hour ago, mdvle said:

But they will (if they desire) be able to manipulate the data to filter results based on other results - so for example they will be able to filter the sprung buffer answers based on scale and see what the responses are in each scale.

The system they're using for the survey (Jotforms)  will give them the raw data. it doesn't do any analysis on it itself; they'll need to download it all and put it into a spreadsheet or database in order to analyse it. So the limits to the analysis are only set by how much effort they are willing to put into it. Filtering responses by scale would be one of the more basic analysis techniques, though.

@rapidoandy There were a couple questions that were hard to answer.

1/ Do you prefer steam or diesel locomotives? (me, no preference over either. I have preserved steam running next to 80s diesels and early diesels running with steam. If it fits what I like I will buy it).

There is then a question about whether I have brought pre-grouping coloured loco (to which I replied yes) then followed by "Was this a model of a preserved locomotive or item of rolling stock?" Yes or No.

In my case I have many locos in pre-grouping colours and they are split evenly between preserved and non-preserved locos! But pre-grouping is not my within my two biggest groups (though it is a close 3rd) that I model.

I feel that these questions could have done with a "Both" option on top of Yes and No.

Edited by JSpencer
  • Like 3

On 15/12/2021 at 12:14, Phatbob said:

I've done the survey and as somebody who models electric railways (SR 3rd rail) I was dissapointed in being forced to choose between steam and diesel, with no option to chose "electric".
How to bias the results of a survey, lesson 1. ;)

Agreed Bob, especially since alot of electrics could otherwise fit firmly into the steam era- I recently realised alot of my modelling is of vintage electrics built nearly 100 years ago, whether British (Metropolitan Railway), Cuban or from a Spanish island. It's something I've previously mentioned to Rapido as there are plenty of Canadian prototypes to get stuck into and they will soon have the New Haven Jet out, but then there is the negative perception that they need to produce a whole range of supporting ancillaries such as in this case a catenary system, whereas another niche money-spinner can thrive on just selling one type of loco.

• RMweb Gold
On 15/12/2021 at 11:48, rapidoandy said:

Morning all!

I am looking for some help from all you lovely people and I am asking if you could complete a survey about the features and expectations you have for new models:

The Great Rapido Model Railway Survey

I’m always keen to hear about what people want and our product suggestion page has been very popular. However, I often read comments on pages and forums like ‘ why does xxx manufacturer include/not include that feature’.

We are really keen to find out what modellers thoughts and expectations are for new R-T-R models. To this end we have designed a survey that covers many of the topics that will guide us in our future decision making.

We’re offering three random prizes of £100, £75 and £50 vouchers to spend with us to those who complete the survey (and who leave an email so we can contact the winners).

This really will help us determine the features we design into our new models and the direction we will go in. This really is your chance to have a say.

Please don't be put off that it looks like 84 questions! You wont answer this many (depending how you answer you skip various sections) and the ones you do answer are closed questions which are easy to answer and will take less than 10 mins of your time.

Please share this with your model making friends, clubs, Facebook groups etc. The more date we can collect the better!

Happy modelling!

Andy

I have tried to complete the survey but there seem to be some wobbles with the technology.

• Agree 1

• 2 weeks later...

Just picked up this link and hope I'm not too late!

A couple of comments on the questions.

#35 'Removable NEM couplings'. There is only one type of NEM coupling, that is the European design that conforms to NEM360. It is removable and must be or it is not a NEM coupler. Plenty of other couplings are called NEM couplings because they can be used with NEM 362 equipped models, but they are not to a NEM standard.

#44 Close coupling mechanisms. If this refers to NEM standards 361 and 362, then there should be conformity to the dimensions in these standards. If a different close coupling mechanism is used on a model it should be clear that is the case.

• Agree 1

• RMweb Premium

If this is all about Titfield Thunderbolt/Lion I’ll be hugely disappointed .  We know all about this already . Surely it’s no reason for Rapido to make an announcemt and Hornby to bring theirs forward . I suspect it’s the HST  but who knows .  I’d prefer an Accurascale one . 

Edited by Legend

• RMweb Premium
19 minutes ago, Legend said:

If this is all about Titfield Thunderbolt/Lion I’ll be hugely disappointed .  We know all about this already . Surely it’s no reason for Rapido to make an announcemt and Hornby to bring theirs forward . I suspect it’s the HST  but who knows .  I’d prefer an Accurascale one . 

Wrong thread - you need this one

• Thanks 1

1 minute ago, Ian J. said:

Wrong thread - you need this one

Is it?  This is RMWeb, we are a democracy, we post what we likes where we wants to.

Subject to following all the by-laws, rules and customs set out by Andy Y which in this case would mean Legend posting in the thread you suggested.

• Like 1
  • Funny 2

• RMweb Premium
13 hours ago, woodenhead said:

Is it?  This is RMWeb, we are a democracy, we post what we likes where we wants to.

Subject to following all the by-laws, rules and customs set out by Andy Y which in this case would mean Legend posting in the thread you suggested.

oops sorry . I clearly got over excited again