GWR 'Loriot Y'

rapidoandy

1 hour ago, No Decorum said:

So it will no longer be acceptable to propel a train backwards a few feet when coupling up? A sight often seen.

I imagine someone here will be explain why this was the case with the Loriot Y. It may have to do with it's loads being bulldozers or heavy duty equipment. Either way someone will know.

Tbh I never picked up on this wording until I saw the model and looked back at my photos of 41990 when I first took photos of it back in 2011.

5364362508_d659949688_b.jpg

5363752209_2c5e33acf6_b.jpg

18 minutes ago, gwrrob said:

That looks rather splendid indeed @Garethp8873

I think so too. I will wait to see what the Hornby example looks like but tbh I am happy to have waited abit longer for Rapido's incredible job. This year's 2023 Pollings for awards are going to be tough...

Edited by Garethp8873
  • Like 5
  • Agree 1

• RMweb Gold
2 hours ago, No Decorum said:

So it will no longer be acceptable to propel a train backwards a few feet when coupling up? A sight often seen.

Where does it say that?  As I read it it simply says where it should be marshalled (for reasons which are fairly obvious if you have any railway experience of  traditional ways of shunting wagons  But not so to others) and that 'great care' is to be taken when shunting it.  The strange thing is that it does not say that it is not to be loose shunted which seems an odd omission if it had to be shunted with 'great care'

Overall that suggests to me that it might  the brake was not very effective or even that it might have been prone to derailment in certain circumstances (which might  also explain the extremely limited number of these that was built?).   Or  maybe that the sort of load it carried required great care when shunting as did the wagon when empty but it might well have carried 'No To Be Loose Shunted' labels when loaded.?

We'll probably never know but it sure wasn't prohobited fromn being propelled according to what is pau inted on it

• Like 3

• RMweb Gold
6 hours ago, gwrrob said:

That looks like it's fitted with instanter couplings.

And in that photo it is piped so it would be fitted with Instanters.     Whicj makes me wonder if it was piped when new as that would be rather at odds with the painted Instruction to marshal it in the rear part of a train.   And this GWR official view gives the answer as shows it lettered as in the Rapido GWR version and explains all - not piped and, as it should be, fitted with 3 link couplings.  As ever beware latterday photos of older vehicles - they don;t just change in preservationists hand.

loriot.jpg.a32cde41276eeb9838bf88b0e5ba9a6e.jpg

I presume the addition of a through pipe occurred in BR days as the vehicle lasted until 1990 on WR territory and the Region had gone over to fully fitted working in the mid 1980s so it could then only have been used if it had been piped or fitted (and the latter was obviously too difficult/expensive a job for an old wagon with a limited life)

• Informative/Useful 4

• RMweb Gold

Like Mike, I suspect the instanters are a retrofit from the time the through pipe was fitted to the wagon, and it possibly received 3-hole disc wheels as well, difficult to be sure from the SVR photo.  

Mike’s comment regarding poor brakes might be given credence by the very low position of the brake lever, or of course it could just be that the brake blocks are nearing their wear limit and need to be adjusted or replaced.  

This is a lovely model and Rapido are to be congratulated for the trouble they’ve taken.  Can’t really justify one at Cwmdimbath, no regular loads for it to, but the sheer quality makes it tempting!

Edited by The Johnster

• RMweb Premium
6 hours ago, The Stationmaster said:

I presume the addition of a through pipe occurred in BR days as the vehicle lasted until 1990 on WR territory and the Region had gone over to fully fitted working in the mid 1980s so it could then only have been used if it had been piped or fitted (and the latter was obviously too difficult/expensive a job for an old wagon with a limited life)

Yep, our version depicts it as ZXO, it was rebranded ZXP when the pipe was fitted (another version of the wagon is available in ZXP form from another manufacturer). I think the pipe was done in Spring 1985 as the paint is quite fresh in the photos.

Main reason was that our tooling version does not have the pipe fitted but it has the added bonus of depicting the vehicle at a different stage in its life.

Edited by RapidoCorbs
  • Like 6
  • Informative/Useful 2

• RMweb Gold

That is a beautiful little wagon.. I'm intrigued to see what people can find to load them with. Wiki says GWR Bulldozer, I'm not sure I know what a bulldozer in about 1939 would look like.. 

• Like 1

11 minutes ago, sjrixon said:

That is a beautiful little wagon.. I'm intrigued to see what people can find to load them with. Wiki says GWR Bulldozer, I'm not sure I know what a bulldozer in about 1939 would look like.. 

Finished Model 2.jpg

• Like 12
  • Craftsmanship/clever 1

• RMweb Premium
18 hours ago, The Stationmaster said:

Where does it say that?  

I read it more as a comment about 00 gauge shunting where the loco just slams into the train and carries it with it for a while before the operator remembers to twiddle the controller (and/or the loco was sticky and needed a few more volts to get going)

• RMweb Premium
3 minutes ago, sjrixon said:

That's really nice @Phil Parker - So are you going to share what dozer that is? :)

Looks like a Ruston Bycarius     Probably needs a match truck out front, but its a very good looking and apt load.

• Like 2

• RMweb Premium
12 minutes ago, sjrixon said:

That's really nice @Phil Parker - So are you going to share what dozer that is? :)

Look upthread, there is a previous posting giving details; and similar for my version.

..... and it's a face shovel, not a bulldozer.

CJI.

Edited by cctransuk
  • Agree 3

• RMweb Gold
3 hours ago, sjrixon said:

As I mentioned upr thread in BR days Loriots were used to carry Traxcavators which I think might have been Drott machines.  These first appeared in the 1930s although when they arrived in Britain I don't know.  As the link below shows (which is not the model used by the WR) it could be mistaken for a bulldozer but it isn't - it's a front bucket excavator/loader which could scape out material into the bucket and then load it to an adjacent railway wagon.

On the Wr they seem to have come to the fore when the PWay pre-assemhbly depots were created and relaying involved far more laying and recovery of track sections.  The Traxcavators went in to get out the old ballast and deepen the formation to provide better drainage and increase the depth of ballast.  So a train would turn up at site conveying several of them which were unloaded and set to work while their train, or their part of the train, was replaced by wagons to be loaded with spoil.

So not surprising that the preserved Loriot finished up at radyr which had been one of the Pre-assenbly depots

https://machinerysales.cheffins.co.uk/lot-details/index/catalog/1135/lot/503081/INTERNATIONAL-B-100-Drott-4cylinder-diesel-CRAWLER-LOADER-TRACTOR-Fitted-with-4in1-bucket-on-12ins-tracks-Offered-for-sale-with-?url=%2Fauctions%2Fcatalog%2Fid%2F1135%2FThe-Dave-Vanstone-Collection-Auction-sale-of-over-25-vintage-and-classic-tractors-vehicles-implements-and-machinery-Bideford-Dev%3Fpage%3D3

Edited by The Stationmaster
  • Like 4

29 minutes ago, sjrixon said:

25 minutes ago, M.I.B said:

Looks like a Ruston Bycarius     Probably needs a match truck out front, but its a very good looking and apt load.

Spot on. Diecast model and the whole lot is based on a prototype photo. I built it in April (I think) 2012's Hornby magazine. As I recall, I took it to the Hartlepool show and someone tried to buy it off me. That not being the point of writing an article, I refused and he got grumpy. I'd no intention of selling (still have it) but he could have offered me any amount and I'd have refused!

AByxGDS8epvIbpic2FgQJh1XauHcmGMThxo5_2hA

The match wagon followed the next month, a Parkside kit.

• Like 8
  • Craftsmanship/clever 2
  • Friendly/supportive 1

• RMweb Gold

Has anyone seen a 1940s photo of a loaded Loriot Y?   So far after checking through Russell and Atkins it seems most of the photos of loaded Loriots are pre war, while the Loriot Y photos are not loaded with chains spread over the deck.

• Like 2
  • Informative/Useful 1

• RMweb Premium
36 minutes ago, The Stationmaster said:

BR days Loriots were used to carry Traxcavators

Are there any models of these about sir?  It would seem they're the perfect companion for these wagons 👍

Edited by Tim Dubya
the right words but not necessarily in the right order...

49 minutes ago, Tim Dubya said:

Are there any models of these about sir?  It would seem they're the perfect companion for these wagons 👍

(If the link works)  -  see :

https://www.langleymodels.co.uk/awd1/index.php?route=product/product&path=190_191_193&product_id=5885

They also so ther construction equipment, including this "small" 1950's (?)

bulldozer :

https://www.langleymodels.co.uk/awd1/index.php?route=product/product&path=190_191_193&product_id=5884

Edited by phil gollin
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1

• RMweb Premium
1 hour ago, Phil Parker said:

Spot on. Diecast model and the whole lot is based on a prototype photo. I built it in April (I think) 2012's Hornby magazine.

It is a Corgi Trackside Ruston Bucyrus face shovel: they can still be found online. It isn’t that long ago since they came out in the Corgi Trackside range, but the most recent one seems to have been in British Army WWII guise, with camouflage paintwork, which won’t suit everyone!

John

• Agree 1

13 minutes ago, Tim Dubya said:

Cheers, although @ nearly £55, Dr Langley won't be getting any of my readies.

If you want an unusual prototype that will have taken a lot of work to produce masters for, and is going to sell in penny numbers, then it's not going to be cheap.

If you want cheap(ish) then Dapol do a JCB for a tenner.

11 minutes ago, it's-er said:

It is a Corgi Trackside Ruston Bucyrus face shovel: they can still be found online. It isn’t that long ago since they came out in the Corgi Trackside range, but the most recent one seems to have been in British Army WWII guise, with camouflage paintwork, which won’t suit everyone!

John

It's an easy repaint. These things don't need a perfect paint job. Brush and tin of Humbrol and you can have any colour you like.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1