Hornby 2022 Range - pre-announcement frothing - now closed

Bendax88

1 hour ago, The Stationmaster said:

Maybe that sort of improvement could be closer than we think with the cv of the latest addition to the Hornby  Board?  If this bloke is as clever as he sounds and gets a chance to find out what the customers really think about things like tiers and overselling then something might actually start to change?

https://polaris.brighterir.com/public/Hornby/news/rns/story/x52lj0x

"Henry de Zoete is an entrepreneur and alumnus of renowned Silicon Valley start-up accelerator Y Combinator. In 2014, he co-founded The Big Deal which uses tech to facilitate collective bargaining for consumers."

Maybe we should have taken him on to represent us lot?

• Like 2
  • Funny 1

• Moderators
25 minutes ago, Widnes Model Centre said:

Widnes is a small fishing village on the River Mersey.

Sounds absolutely delightful; a new alternative destination to the West Country or North Yorks? You'll be telling us that Runcorn is full of art galleries and Michelin-starred restaurants next. ;)

• Like 1
  • Funny 11

• RMweb Premium
14 minutes ago, wombatofludham said:

Having waded through the debate on Hornby's Tears, I wonder if that 'erbert who was listing model railway stuff on Tatbay using a photo of Ken Dodd was in Hornby's Tiers for Souvenirs?

Aythankyou.

Or listening to that soul classic "Tracks of my tiers"

I'm here all week 

• Funny 5

49 minutes ago, mdvle said:

People have been playing around with dead-rail for well over a decade now but the struggle still remains - where do you put the battery?

For Lego it's easy, as they are making a toy and can design things around that (and they probably sell a lot more units of that toy than any of the production runs for our models).

But for Hornby or anyone else, where the goal is an accurate representation of the real thing, that shell dicates the contraints of volume - and inside that volume you still need weight, motor, electronics, speaker.

Yes, there are a handful of prototypes that may have the space remaining inside - but to be successful it has to apply to the entire product line.  Where do you put the battery in a DMU/EMU, or a Class 08, or an industrial loco?

Not to mention that Lego is also a larger scale.

However one possible solution to the problem of fitting everything in is to use the battery as the weight - indeed on some diesels it could even sit in the battery box!

• Like 2

• RMweb Gold
17 minutes ago, AY Mod said:

Sounds absolutely delightful; a new alternative destination to the West Country or North Yorks? You'll be telling us that Runcorn is full of art galleries and Michelin-starred restaurants next. ;)

I can't imagine many Londoners having second homes on The Wirral somehow.

:D

• Funny 5

35 minutes ago, wombatofludham said:

Having waded through the debate on Hornby's Tears, I wonder if that 'erbert who was listing model railway stuff on Tatbay using a photo of Ken Dodd was in Hornby's Tiers for Souvenirs?

Aythankyou.

Every time l hear mention of Tiers, Tears For Souvenirs goes through my head. 

True story: I was about to step into the witness box when there was an almighty cheer and sound of loud applause. The Judge asked me as the only Police officer in the court to find out what was happening.

l returned to a ‘Well?’. 

‘Your Honour, it appears Mr Dodd, has been found not guilty of defrauding the Inland Revenue’. Judge who was well known for his wit. ‘Did he’. ‘No your Honour, Doddy’. Judge also knew my sense of humour when he was a barrister.

Short remission, while the court composed itself.

• Like 2
  • Round of applause 1
  • Funny 14

• RMweb Gold
2 hours ago, adb968008 said:

Ive strong northern roots.

The locals in the sunny south here often ask if there are other Neanderthals like myself, left where I came from ?

or

if I want a job as a zoo attraction.

:D

I could use a northern paraphrase to explain my presence in the south by saying, “where theres muck theres brass”, and theres a lot of brass in the south, so there must be a lot of muck too.

Quite right.  Those  at the top say that the cream always rises, but if you're like me, at the bottom, we usually reckon it's the scum...

1 hour ago, Railpassion said:

I wish they would take a leaf out of Lego's book and implement dead-rail, radio control. My nephew's Lego train has sound and the running track can be laid quickly and changed each time. It doesn't need the track to run. 

RC requires a lot of battery power which is difficult to arrange in smaller prototypes even in 4mm, but I agree that the way forward is dead track and on-board power supply.  Perhaps NFC voltage regulators and all axles driven by small motors whose drive shave acts as the axle.  These could be low-voltage and draw low current individually but collectively powerful over the whole train, fed by NFC rechargeable button batteries on each vehicle, and it might be possible to actually transmit small amounts of current to the motors by NFC, avoiding the batteries.  Assuming that you could reliably ensure that all vehicles ran at the same speed, couplings could be a matter of cosmetics, perhaps low powered magnetic just to hold things together, but would separate if the vehicle or cut is switched off at the controller for shunting purposes.

• Like 1

• RMweb Gold
1 hour ago, AY Mod said:

It is full of art galleries if you count graffiti as art...

It's also a religious centre; haven't you heard of Jehovah's Widnes.

Taxi?

• Like 1
  • Funny 4

32 minutes ago, Widnes Model Centre said:

Every time l hear mention of Tiers, Tears For Souvenirs goes through my head. 

True story: I was about to step into the witness box when there was an almighty cheer and sound of loud applause. The Judge asked me as the only Police officer in the court to find out what was happening.

l returned to a ‘Well?’. 

‘Your Honour, it appears Mr Dodd, has been found not guilty of defrauding the Inland Revenue’. Judge who was well known for his wit. ‘Did he’. ‘No your Honour, Doddy’. Judge also knew my sense of humour when he was a barrister.

Short remission, while the court composed itself.

Painted in large letters on the wall at HMP Walton Prison Liverpool at the time was ---

"Appearing soon, Ken Dodd" !!!!!!!!!!!!!

Scouse humour - can't beat it.

Brit15

• Like 3
  • Agree 1
  • Funny 6

11 minutes ago, APOLLO said:

Painted in large letters on the wall at HMP Walton Prison Liverpool at the time was ---

Brit15

Still call it Walton Gaol....

• Like 4

18 minutes ago, APOLLO said:

Brit15

"Kenneth Arthur Dodd - comedian, singer, and failed accountant" - Ken Dodd.

• Like 3
  • Funny 11

3 hours ago, Porcy Mane said:

I'd have thought the response from those darn sarf would of been more along the lines of, "where is Widnes?".

In his slippers.

1 hour ago, Widnes Model Centre said:

In case you don't know. Widnes is a small fishing village on the River Mersey. Situated between Manchester and Liverpool.

It's name derives from the Viking description of Widens as in where the Mersey starts to widen. When translated when Granted it's Charter it was spelt Widnes.

The main claim to fame that Widnes had was that it was the terminus of the Runcorn Transporter Bridge before it was bypassed by the road bridge....

:whistle:

• Like 2

• RMweb Premium
1 hour ago, Hroth said:

The main claim to fame that Widnes had was that it was the terminus of the Runcorn Transporter Bridge before it was bypassed by the road bridge....

Surely the main claim for Widnes is that they have won the Challenge Cup seven times and been runners up six times. One of the runners up spots was after a draw at Wembley.

Edited by Chris116
  • Like 2

• RMweb Gold

From Wirral people commonly take jobs in London and then return later in their lives.

Anyway why did WIRRAL come up when Widnes was the subject - different sides of the Mersey for starters:wacko:

Edited by BMS
Pressed wrong keyboard key....
  • Like 1
  • Agree 1

1 hour ago, The Johnster said:

Quite right.  Those  at the top say that the cream always rises, but if you're like me, at the bottom, we usually reckon it's the scum...

We used to say, when I was a local government manager and trade union rep. (I was never one to concede conflicts of interest...) that a different substance floated to describe how senior management progression works in local authorities.  Let's just say it rhymed with "Richard the Third", or "Tom Tit".

• Like 1
  • Funny 1

20 minutes ago, Hroth said:

I remember going across on the Transporter. Fabulous piece of engineering. The toll booth is pretty much the only thing remaining. Now we have the Britannia/ Ethelfeda bridge. Silver Jubilee and Mersey Gateway bridges. All within about half a mile of each other.

For the engineers amongst us. The viaduct taking the trains towards Britannia Bridge has a spiral arch. I was told that this was necessary due to the extreme length of the viaduct. It is subject of much study by bridge design students from around the world. Tried to photograph it once but couldn’t get the detail as it is so large.

Unique in as much that you have to pay to go over everyone of them, one of them used to be toll free.

• Like 3
  • Interesting/Thought-provoking 1

36 minutes ago, Hroth said:

The automated voice on my mobile phone sat nav app became orgasmically excited by going over the new Mersey Gateway bridge last time I went to Widnes, her normally calm and level intonation went up an octave and reached levels of excitement that were palpable.

Most odd.

Edited by wombatofludham
  • Funny 6

5 hours ago, Vistisen said:

A year later version 3 will be released that now uses a different gauge, so that version 1 (and 2) can no longer run,

Ah!  We're going for American 00 then?

https://www.nmra.org/oo-scale-sig-page

Bet it isn't compatible with P4

Edited by DutyDruid
Pressed send too early and missed the remark about P4