Hornby 2022 Range - pre-announcement frothing - now closed

Bendax88

6201 played a part in the Diamond Jubilee celebrations (hauled a special to Victoria for the pageant and sounded her whistle from Grosvenor Bridge to start the pageant itself). Given that the loco is currently u/s I can't see the same thing happening in 2022.

• Like 2
  • Agree 1

• RMweb Gold
20 minutes ago, Legend said:

Good  one Ryan . Princess Elizabeth would be most apt of course . Only issue is that it’s been done in the mainstream range .  You just know Simon Kohler will issue a gold plated one . I’d say it’s a fair bet . 

6201 and/or 6220 would be good targets for a diecast version in 2022 although I still wonder about a diecast body A4 to go with a set of LNER streamliner coaches?

• Like 3
  • Agree 2

• RMweb Gold
3 hours ago, RJS1977 said:

6201 played a part in the Diamond Jubilee celebrations (hauled a special to Victoria for the pageant and sounded her whistle from Grosvenor Bridge to start the pageant itself). Given that the loco is currently u/s I can't see the same thing happening in 2022.

Tyseley has a Castle they could rename for the weekend, and hidden in its disguise as 47773 in BR Green the last decade+, is actually 47541 The Queen Mother.

Edited by adb968008
  • Like 2

5 hours ago, Legend said:

I’d love a Scottish EMU coming from around Glasgow , and I’d love a 303 ,but realistically if they were going to do an EMU I think something more mainstream like an Electrostar  is the way to go .

I’ve often said 313/314/315/507/508 or 317/318/455 families were ripe for a model . Given that these are now being retired I think it’s less likely from Hornby though , although curiously that might get it into SKs view!   Maybe more Accurascale/Cavalex territory though . 

There is scope for a Blue Pullman I think , using the old moldings perhaps ( but maybe they were disposed of in the Margate Clear out SK often refers to ) . You still see people running the old Triang one with some Kitmaster around too . The Bachman one was superb but just too expensive . I think there is a market for something that looks good but perhaps not so detailed and without inter connectivity that’s driving the cost of multiple unit models up. 

Yes some more Scottish locomotives and rolling stock would be nice particularly from the Caledonian Railway. Perhaps the Caledonian Single 4-2-2 might be back in the 2022 range as the revived Train pack or just the separate locomotive with the individual coaches also available separately both now the RailRoad range.

Speaking of other British Celtic nations. Some more Cornish and Welsh themed and new tooled GWR locomotives would be welcomed! 

Some new Welsh named  locomotives 4-4-0s County Class in the RailRoad range or newly tooled either one of these. 

County of Brecon

County of Cardigan

County of Carmarthen

County of Carnarvon

County of Denbigh

County of Glamorgan

County of Merioneth

County of Monmouth

County of Pembroke

County of Radnor

Or staying with Cymru even perhaps if Hornby were to try something completely different and were to venture into the narrow gauge market if there is (they probably won't though as Bachmann etc provide British Narrow gauge railways) some Welsh Highland Railway locomotives and rolling stock would sell well?

limited-edition-caledonian.jpg

• Like 3

7 hours ago, Legend said:

realistically if they were going to do an EMU I think something more mainstream like an Electrostar  is the way to go .

I’ve often said 313/314/315/507/508 or 317/318/455 families were ripe for a model

100% agree with this point. How an Electrostar has never been produced is beyond me! 

in addition it would be nice if the following were included in the 2022 range:

Steam era

• More terriers
  • More 4 and 6 wheelers (4 wheeled southern coaches in particular)
  • A4s

Modern era 

• Electrostar 
  • Eurostar centre cars 
  • Viva-rail D Train 
  • East coast grey 91 and mk4s
  • GNER 91 and mk4s pre refurbishment (it might also encourage the 89 by AS and Rails to become a reality)
  • Limby class 31s and 33s- I wonder if there’s much demand for just the chassis of various older models that have been upgraded with a better motor?
  • Greater Anglia FLIRT (the bi-mode one) 
  • Network rail/DRS DBSO
  • Regional Railways mk1s
  • Intercity charter mk1s

Ambitious? Yes. Will they all happen? Probably not. Should I be optimistic? Definitely. I’m probably right somewhere here, yes?

• Like 2

• RMweb Gold

Vivarail D train fits the political schmooze angle.

A battery, demu, iow, metropolitan, even the exported US version might get interest.

of course to maintain interest needs those class 230’s to start reliably carrying passengers, and taking the 200 decaying Met coaches out of the scrapyard at Sims in Long Marston… something which is taking 7 years and still just show boating round and sales havent exactly taken off… 3 to WMT, 5 to TfW and 5 on the IOW.

still its an angle, and a Hornby Tube train is a potential that I could see being quite popular.

Edited by adb968008
  • Like 4

4 hours ago, RyanN91 said:

>Snipped

Some new Welsh named  locomotives 4-4-0s County Class in the RailRoad range or newly tooled either one of these. 

County of Brecon

County of Cardigan

County of Carmarthen

County of Carnarvon

County of Denbigh

County of Glamorgan

County of Merioneth

County of Monmouth

County of Pembroke

County of Radnor

Or staying with Cymru even perhaps if Hornby were to try something completely different and were to venture into the narrow gauge market if there is (they probably won't though as Bachmann etc provide British Narrow gauge railways) some Welsh Highland Railway locomotives and rolling stock would sell well?

>Snipped

Hornby has made the 4-4-0 County Of Denbigh in the past…

We have one.
Modified, it’s the older, better paint finish, loco and tender bodies on the later Railroad DCC Ready Chassis.

Edited by Ruffnut Thorston
Typo
  • Like 3

4 hours ago, RyanN91 said:

Yes some more Scottish locomotives and rolling stock would be nice particularly from the Caledonian Railway. Perhaps the Caledonian Single 4-2-2 might be back in the 2022 range as the revived Train pack or just the separate locomotive with the individual coaches also available separately both now the RailRoad range.

Speaking of other British Celtic nations. Some more Cornish and Welsh themed and new tooled GWR locomotives would be welcomed! 

County of Brecon

County of Cardigan

County of Carmarthen

County of Carnarvon

County of Denbigh

County of Glamorgan

County of Merioneth

County of Monmouth

County of Pembroke

County of Radnor

limited-edition-caledonian.jpg

I'm hoping for 6024 myself.....   :kingchris:

Also, what's wrong with the Irish?!  :prankster:

3801   County Carlow

3802   County Clare

3803   County Cork

3804   County Dublin

3805   County Kerry

3806   County Kildare

3807   County Kilkenny

3808   County Limerick

3809   County Wexford

3810   County Wicklow

Jason

• Like 2

• RMweb Premium

Isn't it about time that somebody produced a class 31 to modern standards? The current Hornby model is very old, and a 31 would fit with Hornby's ECML and GER interests.  Other Type 2 locos which were less successful, or had more limited geographical ranges or shorter lifetimes, have been produced, but not the Class 31. If Bachmann can produce a modern Brush Type 4, why can't Hornby do the same for the Brush Type 2?

• Like 2
  • Agree 1

40 minutes ago, Ruffnut Thorston said:

We have one.
Modified, it’s the older, better paint finish, loco and tender bodies on the later Railroad DCC Ready Chassis.

Hornby has also used the name County of Radnor on a 4-4-0, but shouldn't have as it's from the wrong batch of Counties as modelled...

• Like 3

1 hour ago, Ruffnut Thorston said:

We have one.

51 minutes ago, Coppercap said:

Hornby has also used the name County of Radnor on a 4-4-0, but shouldn't have as it's from the wrong batch of Counties as modelled...

And the 4-4-0 County of Flint.

• Like 3

1 hour ago, Ruffnut Thorston said:

We have one.

So they did with so many over the years even my mind has blank spots even with trains! 

• Like 2

1 hour ago, Steamport Southport said:

Also, what's wrong with the Irish?!  :prankster:

3801   County Carlow

3802   County Clare

3803   County Cork

3804   County Dublin

3805   County Kerry

3806   County Kildare

3807   County Kilkenny

3808   County Limerick

3809   County Wexford

3810   County Wicklow

Jason

Jason nothing is wrong with the Irish (irrelevant though this bit) my grandad fathers side is an Irish-Scot Glasgow born to an Irish father from Inishowen Co. Donegal. My dads parternal grandmother was Scottish from Glasgow Lanarkshire! My fathers mother is of Anglo-Irish ancestry Co. Antrim her mothers mother's side and Co. Cork somewhere down that lineage!

My own mother is English of close proximity with Devon and she has Cornish ancestry Truro there from her mother's fathers side and some Welsh as well on her fathers side Flintshire! (Aplogies for the genealogy :laugh_mini: it's good to know who and where are Hertiage is from) back to trains and railways

So Yes some Irish locomotives would be nice! 

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Hroth said:

And the 4-4-0 County of Flint.

County of Flint was from the last batch built and has the 'Holcroft' curves to the running plate as modelled, so the name is appropriate. Radnor was in an earlier batch and had straight drop ends and short cab sides, so Radnor isn't a suitable name to have been used on the model.

Edited by Coppercap
  • Like 1
  • Informative/Useful 2

5 hours ago, MikeB said:

Isn't it about time that somebody produced a class 31 to modern standards?

It's a reasonable guess that somebody will at some point soon, the only question is who.

5 hours ago, MikeB said:

If Bachmann can produce a modern Brush Type 4, why can't Hornby do the same for the Brush Type 2?

They obviously can/could, the question is do they want to - or do they want to cede the modern tooled diesel loco market to competitors.

We will find out on the 10th (or perhaps in 2023/2024 depending on how things play out).

• Like 1

• RMweb Premium
10 hours ago, Steamport Southport said:

6024 is due back in service in 2022 so a special return to service edition would be great. 

Edited by Hilux5972
  • Like 1

Hornby may wish  to honour the Queen in her Jubilee year.

A special collectors set inspired by  the BTF Elizabethan Express film of 1954, 60017 and stock, a DVD of the film,  figures of people in period clothes inside the carriages, you'd find me in the queue for such a set.

Edited by Pandora
  • Like 10

• RMweb Gold
1 hour ago, Pandora said:

Hornby may wish  to honour the Queen in her Jubilee year.

A special collectors set inspired by  the BTF Elizabethan Express film of 1954, 60017 and stock, a DVD of the film,  figures of people in period clothes inside the carriages, you'd find me in the queue for such a set.

Bachmann already did it, in 1995.

Catalog 31-1995

https://www.hattons.co.uk/66523/bachmann_branchline_31_1995_the_elizabethan_set/stockdetail

1 hour ago, adb968008 said:

Bachmann already did it, in 1995.

Catalog 31-1995

https://www.hattons.co.uk/66523/bachmann_branchline_31_1995_the_elizabethan_set/stockdetail

Oh dear!.  Not aware of the Bachmann set,  the Bachmann Elizabethan  has the dated ex-Lillipiut/Trix A4 from 1969, and the Elizabethan in the BTF film  used carmine and cream Thompson stock not all maroon,  I made an error thinking  Hornby had  Thompson express stock, not realising it is actually  Bachmann

Edited by Pandora
  • Like 1

10 minutes ago, Pandora said:

Oh dear!.  Not aware of the Bachmann set,  the set has the rather weak ex-Lillipiut/Trix A4 from 1969, and the Elizabethan in the BTF film  used carmine and cream Thompson stock not all maroon,  I made an error thinking  Hornby had  Thompson express stock, not realising it is actually  Bachmann

It was a very poor representation of the train. The Thompson stock released by Bachmann and recently released  is non pressure ventilated stock

If Hornby were to to it they'd need pressure ventilated Thompson stock. But with that stock they could make three named trains.

Flying Scotsman, Capitas and Elizabethan.

They did the Coronation Scot. This is an obvious namer without the expense of articulation vehicles.

• Like 2
  • Informative/Useful 1

2 hours ago, davidw said:

It was a very poor representation of the train. The Thompson stock released by Bachmann and recently released  is non pressure ventilated stock

If Hornby were to to it they'd need pressure ventilated Thompson stock. But with that stock they could make three named trains.

Flying Scotsman, Capitas and Elizabethan.

They did the Coronation Scot. This is an obvious namer without the expense of articulation vehicles.

There's a restored coach if anyone wants to measure it.

The Lounge Buffet/Bar Car. The one that actually featured in the film.

http://www.cs.rhrp.org.uk/se/CarriageInfo.asp?Ref=949

Jason

• Agree 1

3 hours ago, Steamport Southport said:

There's a restored coach if anyone wants to measure it.

The Lounge Buffet/Bar Car. The one that actually featured in the film.

http://www.cs.rhrp.org.uk/se/CarriageInfo.asp?Ref=949

Jason

Other vehicles would be the BG, FK with ladies retiring, RF, SO, SK, SK with ladies retiring, RK, FO and the buffet. Many were cascaded to other services as the 50s went  by. Multiple Rfs in other services and the RK.

So lots of potential and lots of liveries.

Edited by davidw
  • Like 2